Cops and BJJ

If every cop you meet is being a jerk to you the problem is probably you.

I've been pulled over 4-5 times and never had a problem with any cop.

I generally find this to be a cop out argument. I was 10 when an officer first threatened to "handcuff me to the back of his car and drag me home". He asked me one question and i answered him honestly without attitude; being 10 years old i was terrified of cops so i was always honest and helpful as i wanted to be a cop originally. I'm polite to everyone even when being threatened. I've had police stop me while walking home in broad day an ask me what my favorite cereal is and accuse me of lying when i give them my name. The worst one's being in Michigan that i've encountered.

The issue is not always the civilian.

I would assume so, seems trivial considering he generally has good contributions.

Dude posted the same kind of shit in the war room all the time along with a ton of ignorant anti 'murica posts. Not mention, his obvious women issues he's voiced publicly in here before. I would guess that was the proverbial "straw".

It's the war room though, isn't that allowed there? I thought it was anything goes there?

I don't recall his women's issues posts...cliffs?

It's the war room though, isn't that allowed there? I thought it was anything goes there?

They pulled back on that, actually. It's a lot less fun now, I've pretty much stopped posting there.

Okay maybe Einarr was not the poster i thought...and i did not know that about the war room, i never post there and only occasionally skim it. Moving on, back to topic, sorry guys.

75K.....where is this at? Cops I know don't make anywhere near that amount of money. Even with overtime pay...For 75k a year I might consider a new career as an officer

Cops in Canada are pretty much guaranteed six figures after three years.

They get off with shooting whoever they want, too.

In Toronto they do yeah...in a city i lived in previously for a number of years, one of the officers is still under investigation for a possible murder within custody but is allowed to continue duties.

There are a couple dickheads for sure. But overall, most are doing a very important job and doing their best at it.

I agree.

The problem is that for some people no matter what the cop does, he/she is always in the wrong. But the cops are the first people they call when they are in trouble.

Once when I was nineteen, I got pulled over with some friends. The cops were convinced that we had drugs on us, but we didn't. They turned over my entire car and were getting frustrated, because they weren't finding anything.

One of them told me, "A Mexican hanging out with a bunch of white kids? Doesn't make sense to us". :eek:

Another cop drove off on me on his motorcycle and told me "I don't have time for that shit" when I told him I was almost mugged and even pointed to the guy that almost mugged me.

Yes, there are some bad cops out there, but my experiences haven't molded my whole perception of law enforcement.

I agree.

The problem is that for some people no matter what the cop does, he/she is always in the wrong. But the cops are the first people they call when they are in trouble.

Once when I was nineteen, I got pulled over with some friends. The cops were convinced that we had drugs on us, but we didn't. They turned over my entire car and were getting frustrated, because they weren't finding anything.

One of them told me, "A Mexican hanging out with a bunch of white kids? Doesn't make sense to us". :eek:

Another cop drove off on me on his motorcycle and told me "I don't have time for that shit" when I told him I was almost mugged and even pointed to the guy that almost mugged me.

Yes, there are some bad cops out there, but my experiences haven't molded my whole perception of law enforcement.

Why not? What has created this faith in law enforcement despite the evidence in your own life of blatant (though minor) abuse of power?

It sounds to me like in both cases the cops were in the wrong.

Or could it be single person homes drugs and poverty? Come on man, my father came from a single person home, his mother wasn't all there and his grandma raised him. Zero difference in color on this one. These kids need a lot more help than blaming others. The cycle will never change-. The change needs to start at home and in schools.

huge difference in color. specifically the incarceration rates and lengths.

the young black criminal was invented by and is perpetuated by white america.

until the majority of law enforcement in this country is something other than white conservative men, we'll keep arresting, prosecuting, and incarcerating minorities at disproportionate rates.

All of my personal experiences with cops have actually been positive, though I acknowledge a lot of the general public's misgivings as sound. The complete lack of accountability, the cronism, the denial of clear issues in the police process....

I actually feared for the life of a cousin of mine, on the explosive side of my family, when my mom recently started a conversation with "OMG! G****! The cops!"... turns out he was just the latest victim of the dubious NYC frisking policy (he's a A/B student, no criminal history, with aspirations to be a nurse), but that initial fear was real.

Even stepping away from the killings of unarmed black teenagers, when you look at things such as civil forfeiture or the problem of two justice systems, it's difficult not to take issue.

With that said, the cops I have trained with IRL have all been cool. They tend to tap early and often, which I completely understand, as walking into any sort of physical job with injuries sustained outside of the workplace does not sit well with supervisors.

huge difference in color. specifically the incarceration rates and lengths.

the young black criminal was invented by and is perpetuated by white america.

until the majority of law enforcement in this country is something other than white conservative men, we'll keep arresting, prosecuting, and incarcerating minorities at disproportionate rates.

I think its more ingrained than conservative white guys in power. Im on my phone but i have seen studies correlating the darkness of skin color with sentence length, even when other black people are determining "appropriate" punishments.

... I'm so happy I don't roll with most of you, but I'm betting you all keep the cop hate to a minimum in your dojos.

If anything you should be happy to train with police officers, so you can help them gain the physical ability and confidence to safely handle more confrontations without using weapons. What do you think they're going to do? They CAN'T lose. If they lose a fight they will die, or someone else will die. When they start getting their butt handed to them is when they need to escalate things, and that's how situations get out of control and people get hurt/die.

If a cop is "violating your rights" then make a complaint/file a lawsuit. What's the problem with handing over your backpack/vehicle for an "unlawful" search, if you're going to get a fat settlement from it. Cops are human, and therefore can make mistakes. A proper attitude and greeting will take you a long way. It's the same thing at the friggin' DMV. In the street you listen, and in the court you can argue.

I think a lot of people say they don't like the police, because they don't like having their mommy and daddy around watching their every move. Are some cops jerks? Yeah, but I'm sure the other cops don't like them either.

For the "dangerous job" people: police statistics for on the job deaths are generally inaccurate. Do your own easy research, and you'll see just how dangerous of a profession it can be. Go google "how many police officers are there in america." You'll find there are about 750,000. Then you can go to http://www.odmp.org/ and see just how many officers were killed in the line of duty and why. There is a story for each fallen officer. About half of those 750,000 sworn personnel aren't even on the streets as patrol cops, but let's just use that number for easy math:

121 Police Officers killed in the line of duty in 2014 / 750,000 sworn officers.
121/7.5 = approximately 16.1 deaths per 100k. Seems pretty dangerous to me.

We have a lot of policemen at our place, including three who's at the core of the regulars. I think it's good. They are all good people, and shady people don't really stay with us any more. Most of them are also really physical, so it helps the intensity in the gym.

I don't live in the US, however. We don't really have a smiliar divide between the police and the regular population as I get the impression you guys have.

... I'm so happy I don't roll with most of you, but I'm betting you all keep the cop hate to a minimum in your dojos.

If anything you should be happy to train with police officers, so you can help them gain the physical ability and confidence to safely handle more confrontations without using weapons. What do you think they're going to do? They CAN'T lose. If they lose a fight they will die, or someone else will die. When they start getting their butt handed to them is when they need to escalate things, and that's how situations get out of control and people get hurt/die.

I'm always happy to train with cops. Most are. I'm not happy to train with cops who can't stop acting like everyone except them (and other cops) are a lower form of life. That "cop attitude" is what pisses people off.

If a cop is "violating your rights" then make a complaint/file a lawsuit. What's the problem with handing over your backpack/vehicle for an "unlawful" search, if you're going to get a fat settlement from it. Cops are human, and therefore can make mistakes. A proper attitude and greeting will take you a long way. It's the same thing at the friggin' DMV. In the street you listen, and in the court you can argue.

They are human and make mistakes, but are never held accountable for them. That's where the anger comes from.

I think a lot of people say they don't like the police, because they don't like having their mommy and daddy around watching their every move. Are some cops jerks? Yeah, but I'm sure the other cops don't like them either.

But they close ranks for the jerks, cover up for them when they do something illegal, refuse to testify against them, etc. If someone who wasn't a cop did the same, they'd be jailed as an accessory. Cops get paid leave and a year at a desk.

For the "dangerous job" people: police statistics for on the job deaths are generally inaccurate. Do your own easy research, and you'll see just how dangerous of a profession it can be. Go google "how many police officers are there in america." You'll find there are about 750,000. Then you can go to http://www.odmp.org/ and see just how many officers were killed in the line of duty and why. There is a story for each fallen officer. About half of those 750,000 sworn personnel aren't even on the streets as patrol cops, but let's just use that number for easy math:

121 Police Officers killed in the line of duty in 2014 / 750,000 sworn officers.
121/7.5 = approximately 16.1 deaths per 100k. Seems pretty dangerous to me.

You can't seriously serve as a cop and still be ignorant of all the shit that people hate about cops. I guarantee you've seen it, ignored it, and still act surprised when us mere mortal "cop haters" point out legitimate concerns in various police departments.

You can't seriously serve as a cop and still be ignorant of all the shit that people hate about cops. I guarantee you've seen it, ignored it, and still act surprised when us mere mortal "cop haters" point out legitimate concerns in various police departments.

Yup. Like I said, it's that cronism. That unshakeable defense of other cops, regardless of what they did, how they did it, or who they did it to.

One of my biggest issues is civil forfeiture, which basically amounts to taxpayer-funded, legal shakedowns. Carrying any cash? Cops seize it under suspicion of you using it for drugs, despite there being no evidence to charge you with any crime. They instead charge your property, which technically has no rights, and your chances of ever seeing it again are nil. Got a house? Got an addict, recovering or current, staying there? Cops seize it under suspicion of it being a crack/meth den. You then spend YEARS trying to get back your own property.

Who handles the claims? The DA's office, making it a clear conflict of interest.

Back