Cops and BJJ

Pontigoose

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I'm not terrible at BJJ, however I'm also no expert. Generally people my belt don't give me fits, but I've noticed this one police officer always bests me, and he's a brand new to BJJ. Anyone else notice police officers are generally very good at BJJ?

I know plenty of police officers that suck at BJJ. He probably has some fighting experience.

I know guys who go to gyms that claim white belt but may be blue belt level or at least high white belt. Guys just like doing that. When you roll with themyou know they know a little bit. It's not just because he was a cop. I know cops as I'm in law enforcement most of those guys don't know how to fight. Some are tough bastards but suck at bjj.

My best friend is a state trooper. He has gone through BLET(basic law enforcement training) when he was a city cop and then trooper training. They go through very basic grappling training that is mostly just some basic restraints. There is nothing about be a cop in general that would make someone better at BJJ except maybe a stronger desire to learn since they will be more likely to be put in a situation where they will need it.

yeah, it really depends on what and how much they've trained.

fwiw most of the duded/ladies that train aren't giant dickbags. the ones that i train with are real good-natured when i tease them with 'STOP RESISTING' every now and then.

I have had a Brown Belt cop Berimbolo me. I have also rolled with officers who were like baby deer trying to walk right after being born..

Don't know. I really dislike most cops, so generally when I roll with them I don't let them get much started.

Tonight a cop put me in a bear hug to show the college class and I couldn't get out of it
I know he's a Jiu Jitsu blackbelt but I suspect he meant Japanese Jiujitsu

Don't know. I really dislike most cops, so generally when I roll with them I don't let them get much started.

Damn Uch!? Have a few bad experiences with ol Johnny Law? Tell me your stories brotha.....iffin ya don't mind.

honestly there is nothing better then choking out a cop during rolling...like army and marines they usually aint shit without there guns

Only ever trained with one cop in BJJ, and he was a big baby. Everything I did cranked his neck or tweaked his elbow, or SOMETHING. It sucked.

the only cops i've rolled with just try to rape choke you or do rage submissions and try to crank americanas from terrible position

we are truly blessed to have these people protecting us

I was a cop for 10 years. Some real classy guys posting on this thread. Idiots.

Cops are a cross section of society. All types shapes sizes and background. A cop may be a former special forces guy or a former college football player. Or a former teacher. Or a fat lazy slob. Some are low level pro mma fighters. Some have never even been punched before. Some are as gentle as a caring mother. Some are raging dickheads. Many just do the job and try to be fair and smart about it.

99% of you cop haters...are just douchebag losers who got arrested in the past. Sorry.

Last edited:
Oh and by they way....a small part of the reason most of us can train berimbolo and sporty shit instead of NEEDING to focus on self defense...is because for the most part cops in our cities are keeping violent criminal predators at bay with active policing. Unlike in Brazil...where cops cant control the crime and thus, their martial arts were self defense heavy.

Spoiled brats whining about how much they hate cops....sickening.

Oh and by they way....a small part of the reason most of us can train berimbolo and sporty shit instead of NEEDING to focus on self defense...is because for the most part cops in our cities are keeping violent criminal predators at bay with active policing. Unlike in Brazil...where cops cant control the crime and thus, their martial arts were self defense heavy.

lol fuck the police homie

Legit badass over here fellas! I'll make sure to say a little prayer while I attempt my shitty bolos tonight!

Cops are a cross section of society. All types shapes sizes and background. A cop may be a former special forces guy or a former college football player. Or a former teacher. Or a fat lazy slob. Some are low level pro mma fighters. Some have never even been punched before. Some are as gentle as a caring mother. Some are raging dickheads. Many just do the job and try to be fair and smart about it.

99% of you cop haters...are just douchebag losers who got arrested in the past. Sorry.

Get out of here with this logical, well thought out argument.

So how come you are not a cop any more?

Most I associate with are cool, but I usually avoid the ones that have authority issues.

They are usually no better or worse just because they are police, IMO. Same with ex-military.

Back