Cop doesn't shoot unarmed suspect and is pistol whipped, bystanders tweet pictures

This is another case that makes me wonder why US cops are not always acting in pairs.

Funny to see the pro Cop guzzling fans rushing to judgment the same way they criticize the pro victims in previous cases.

The sudden love for Police overreaction is much more than love of law enforcement. It's clear supporters have ulterior motives.

The whole bystander thing is pretty unforgivable, but I don't buy the , "oh I was just being too good of a guy and it bit me in the ass". Sounds like he made some mistakes, was disarmed and needed a reason other than, "I goofed".

People took pictures of the unconscious cop and posted it on Facebook and Twitter with disgusting comments, and cops were pissed that nobody seemed to take up their cause, and expressed outrage over it - that story doesn't seem to get a lot of press.

People are so quick to call for someone's life to be ruined over the smallest offence on social media, but this doesn't seem to register on anybody's outrage meter.

If I see someone overpower a cop and take their weapon and then proceed to seriously assault the cop, I will feel terrible for the cop. However, I'm not likely to help, because then there would just be two helpless, wounded people getting beaten down. Great! My conscience is eased! And all it cost me was a serious concussion and a few broken ribs, and it didn't help the other guy at all!

Then you need to work on your jab yo.

Funny to see the pro Cop guzzling fans rushing to judgment the same way they criticize the pro victims in previous cases.

The sudden love for Police overreaction is much more than love of law enforcement. It's clear supporters have ulterior motives.

What are you even jabbering about? What judgement are people rushing to, that people shouldn't pistol whip cops or that bystanders should help another human being?

So a public servant DOESN'T shoot an unarmed citizen, and that makes news?

Seems like if your sign up to be a cop, to protect and serve, this is one of the risks that come with it. Sometimes you might get your ass kicked.

It could have also made the news because the scumbag, who should have been shot, pistol whipped the cop and people were happy about it.

No, I doubt he was, either. He was likely thinking "How can I subdue this guy WITHOUT having to resort to shooting him?"

Obviously I don't know what he was thinking. It just seems very unlikely that he just allowed the guy to take his gun from him out of fear for the media. That is insane. He is so scared of the media that he would rather let the guy take his gun and likely die? It makes no sense. If he was truly that scared of making the news if he shot and killed the guy then maybe it would make more sense for him to try and use a non-lethal method to subdue the attacker.

I think it is likely that his gun was forcefully taken from him and that he very well may have wanted to shoot the attacker but couldn't. In that case, you can spin the information to support a pro-police narrative that he just didn't want to shoot the guy because of all the negative attention police shootings have gotten lately.
It is a very convenient way to get sympathy almost reminiscent of a pouty child. "If I can't eat ice cream for dinner, then I don't want to eat anything at all".

In this case I think the officer would have been justified shooting the guy if he was unable to use non-lethal means as the attacker was going for his gun and his life was potentially in danger. In other cases, I think the officers could have exercised more restraint. It's not a black and white issue and should be examined on a case by case basis.

Obviously I don't know what he was thinking. It just seems very unlikely that he just allowed the guy to take his gun from him out of fear for the media. That is insane. He is so scared of the media that he would rather let the guy take his gun and likely die? It makes no sense. If he was truly that scared of making the news if he shot and killed the guy then maybe it would make more sense for him to try and use a non-lethal method to subdue the attacker.

I think it is likely that his gun was forcefully taken from him and that he very well may have wanted to shoot the attacker but couldn't. In that case, you can spin the information to support a pro-police narrative that he just didn't want to shoot the guy because of all the negative attention police shootings have gotten lately.
It is a very convenient way to get sympathy almost reminiscent of a pouty child. "If I can't eat ice cream for dinner, then I don't want to eat anything at all".

In this case I think the officer would have been justified shooting the guy if he was unable to use non-lethal means as the attacker was going for his gun and his life was potentially in danger. In other cases, I think the officers could have exercised more restraint. It's not a black and white issue and should be examined on a case by case basis.

You might be over thinking it a bit. Chances are, he had an opportunity to shoot the guy during the struggle, but didn't take it in hopes that he could fight him off somehow. Obviously, it didn't work.

That's fucked up

I hope people aren't suggesting this somehow justifies other situations where lethal force was not called for though. If anything, those cops should get more blame as look at the fucking mess they have created for cops trying to do the job by the book. Now they are afraid to act thanks to people who stepped way over the line and have put them all in a tough spot because of it. This was bound to happen and I feel bad for the cop.

And not all 'unarmed' situations are the same. Like for instance this situation compared to the situation where the guy got shot 5 times in the back trying to run away and then had a taser planted at a scene. There are only so many times you can shoot unarmed people that don't pose a deadly threat before it creates a backlash. Especially when a bunch of situations happen relatively close together. So just like anywhere else, the fuckups have made it harder on everybody else.

It's not just the media though. They don't want to lose their job and be facing murder charges. Thanks to the actions of some bad apples, it probably has everyone second guessing themselves now. That's a dangerous thing when someone's job requires them to act on instinct a lot.

More stupid shit as posted by Juventud.
Disgusting all around...

disgusting that citizens just watched and did nothing...

more disgusting because of the social media comments..

and most disgusting that the anti-police fervor has reached such a level, where a police officer is hesitant in doing his job or employing justified use of deadly force.
Nailed it. Check out #coplivesmatter for a real ironic punch to the gut.

How does a cop get pistol whipped by an unarmed suspect? Something doesn't add up.

That's fucked up

I hope people aren't suggesting this somehow justifies other situations where lethal force was not called for though. If anything, those cops should get more blame as look at the fucking mess they have created for cops trying to do the job by the book. Now they are afraid to act thanks to people who stepped way over the line and have put them all in a tough spot because of it. This was bound to happen and I feel bad for the cop.

And not all 'unarmed' situations are the same. Like for instance this situation compared to the situation where the guy got shot 5 times in the back trying to run away and then had a taser planted at a scene. There are only so many times you can shoot unarmed people that don't pose a deadly threat before it creates a backlash. Especially when a bunch of situations happen relatively close together. So just like anywhere else, the fuckups have made it harder on everybody else.

Thats a good point. Unfortunately, the media paints them all with the same brush regardless of the situation. It's become pretty complicated.

Really, what facts are in dispute here?

With Ferguson, the cops said he was attacked (consistent with forensics) and witnesses (who changed their story in front of the grand jury, many saying they didn't actually see what happened) say he had his hands in the air and was killed execution style.

In which version of events do you see it appropriate that a career criminal is pulled over and then beats a police office with his gun?

How does a cop get pistol whipped by an unarmed suspect? Something doesn't add up.

When a criminal fights you and grabs your gun. I know a cop who killed a suspect who did that, but often it's too late when that happens. He didn't want to shoot him prematurely and that window closed quickly

I'll wait for more info, but I'm happy the cop is okay. If the guy started an actual fight with him then I don't think I would have a problem with him shooting.

Really, what facts are in dispute here?

With Ferguson, the cops said he was attacked (consistent with forensics) and witnesses (who changed their story in front of the grand jury, many saying they didn't actually see what happened) say he had his hands in the air and was killed execution style.

In which version of events do you see it appropriate that a career criminal is pulled over and then beats a police office with his gun?

Give me a break, with the Brown case there are tons of different stories, and we don't know who started it because there are conflicting stories. I swear you cop fan boys lie your fucking asses off. Would it be too much to say, we don't know what happened but I believe "this?"

When a criminal fights you and grabs your gun. I know a cop who killed a suspect who did that, but often it's too late when that happens. He didn't want to shoot him prematurely and that window closed quickly

Well when he takes the gun that would make him armed wouldn't it?

Thats a good point. Unfortunately, the media paints them all with the same brush regardless of the situation. It's become pretty complicated.

Yep

And there is no effort to get positive stories into the light. Black vs white, cop vs citizen, white cop vs black man, or anything else that divides people and stirs the pot will be sensationalized by the press. People at the top in this country, who happen to also own the major media conglomerates, know the best way to maintain the status quo is keep us fighting amongst ourselves.

I am not suggesting there are not real problems that need to exposed and dealt with. But they need to be exposed in context and with the good stuff getting out there too. If people think citizens standing around watching a cop get pistol whipped after not shooting someone is a step forward or some type of poetic justice they need to seriously reevaluate their moral compass. Just like when those in authority abuse it to kill someone for no good reason, situations like this are in the same classification in that they represent a major step backwards for human progress.

Back