Cop breaks down after shooting an unarmed suspect

I hate cops as much as the next guy, but if I had a gun on someone, and they hesitate to put their hands up...I can only assume they are looking to draw or otherwise do something bad.

With some practice, you can easily draw and get a shot off in less than a second. I don't want to bet my life on a test of reflexes.

For a known armed person, he sure wasn't very armed.

Intoxicated people don't always make awesome choices. Guy high as a kite might not realise police think he is armed.

A good reason to not do meth a day after commiting armed robbery with a gun, where a 61 year old was shot. Police were actively looking for him from the robbery the day before, they had every reason to believe he was still armed.

Obviously the guy on meth wasn't thinking straight, and he ended up dead because of it.

It's unfortunate that the outcome wasn't better, but the officer had to make a split second decision when the guy started reaching.

A good reason to not do meth a day after commiting armed robbery with a gun, where a 61 year old was shot. Police were actively looking for him from the robbery the day before, they had every reason to believe he was still armed.

Obviously the guy on meth wasn't thinking straight, and he ended up dead because of it.

It's unfortunate that the outcome wasn't better, but the officer had to make a split second decision when the guy started reaching.

Who would have thought the guy methed out of his mind was criminal.

There's no question that some cops abuse their power, they need to be punished and held to an even higher standard than general population, but this isn't the case at all. Just like the Mike Brown case. It was completely justified. The SJWs are wasting their energy on terrible examples.

he killed an unarmed man, i would hope he'd be upset about it.

What should he have done in Nickyville? if this wasn't a person known to be armed we may be having a different conversation. had he been known to carry a concealed bible everywhere you may have an argument.

The absurdity of this case is that the guy is still currently employed as an LEO. He's inept and should be removed from any position of such authority.

After giving him simple directions 6 times, I'd assume something off. Especially since the criminal is high out of his mind.

You wouldn't think that the "off" part might be that he is high out of his mind?

The problem I have isn't that he has to make a split decisions, or even with the choice he made exactly.

He made the WRONG decision, and a guy ended up dead. Whoops.

The SJWs are wasting their energy on terrible examples.

The media picks these examples to report because they are vague. It means people take sides against each, and argue. Gets more hits and views.

With Zimmerman, if you wanted an example of a racist white dude shooting a black kid, there are dozens of better examples. They picked it because the facts were vague, which left something to argue about.

If you want police shooting black dudes, much better examples than Brown. Again, they picked that one to focus on because it could be argued both ways.

Sounds like a fairly successful couple days for the unarmed meth addict. Robbed an old man, shot his ass and got some meth. So much meth that he couldn't even understand what the cop was saying to him when they got pulled over. At least he was on his drug of choice when the cop killed him.

The problem I have isn't that he has to make a split decisions, or even with the choice he made exactly.

He made the WRONG decision, and a guy ended up dead. Whoops.

Right, it was the cop who made the wrong decision, not the methed out armed robber who shoots 61 year olds, who when told to show his hands reaches for something at his waist.

Like nearly 100% of the time if you aren't a criminal, and follow a cops orders you won't get shot.

Right, it was the cop who made the wrong decision, not the methed out armed robber who shoots 61 year olds, who when told to show his hands reaches for something at his waist.

Like nearly 100% of the time if you aren't a criminal, and follow a cops orders you won't get shot.

Funny thing, I think that the guy holding the gun should be responsible if he shoots someone.

Guess thats not A popular opinion though.

You wouldn't think that the "off" part might be that he is high out of his mind?

Next time I'll break the law and don't comply with armed authority I'll make sure to use the "I was methed out" excuse. If I survive, of course.

Those tears of joy when he realized that he'll get paid for next months playing all those games on his Steam backlog. That is heaven right there.

For a known armed person, he sure wasn't very armed.

Intoxicated people don't always make awesome choices. Guy high as a kite might not realise police think he is armed.

So to make it fair just to make sure the guy would shoot the cop must wait until the criminal has a fair chance to get his iron into play after all that's the code of the west.

If you are so high that you do shit like this then you started stupid a long time ago.

Some times stupid can be deadly for the stupid.

I think that after killing 2 unarmed people, now is the time to question whether this guy should be a police officer or not. Maybe his actions weren't criminal but maybe he isn't cut out for police work. It could be that both shootings are completely reasonable and don't say anything about his ability to handle the stresses of the job but I think you at least have to ask that question for the sake of public safety.

You don't even have any grounds to suspect that he's lying other than you already hate cops.

great now apply this notion to how you have zero grounds to assume that I hate cops.

I'm not saying I'm 100% right, but the dude breaking down because he thought he fucked his career isn't out of the realm of possibilities. my mentioning of this - why that bothers you, you can ask yourself that but don't go projecting your petty bullshit on to me. thanks.

I think that after killing 2 unarmed people, now is the time to question whether this guy should be a police officer or not. Maybe his actions weren't criminal but maybe he isn't cut out for police work. It could be that both shootings are completely reasonable and don't say anything about his ability to handle the stresses of the job but I think you at least have to ask that question for the sake of public safety.

If he was cleared of any wrongdoing back then, and then cleared of any wrongdoing this time, is there really a need for a third hearing / inquest / trial / investigation to review the two incidents overall? That seems like a waste of time, money and resources to me. If this was the 10th time and he was cleared of any wrong doing I still wouldn't see the point. Either he's not a problem and just has bad luck in dealing with suspected armed criminals, or the problem is with the investigation process itself -- and I don't see how another investigation is going to fix that.

I don't understand what's so sketchy about an officer shooting somebody after he tells them to get their hands up 6 times with his gun pointed at him, and then the guy instead moves his hands to his waist? The fact that he never actually had a gun doesn't make it an outrageous incident to me, and I'm fairly liberal. Certianly don't consider myself a right wing gun lover / nut. Like oldshadow said, is he supposed to wait until the guy has pulled the gun from his waistband and has it drawn at him to shoot -- just to even the odds up?

Officers are only human too, everyone makes mistakes or lapses in judgement, but in a case like this they aren't going to fire an officer or give him some other duties. 95/100 officers probably would have done the same thing, and they are going to side with the officer doing his job over an uncoperative, methed up armed robber, whos believed to be armed.

Not every arrest goes as planned. Sometimes uncooprative people die while being arrested for something that wouldn't carry the death penalty. That doesn't mean the officers are in the wrong. The reality is if the person wasn't a criminal, and most importantly wasn't resisting, then odds are you won't get killed. Soon as you start resisting you're taking your life into your own hands.

Is it a coincidence or do you think he knew exactly where the camera was and decided to quote a few lines?

that's honestly the first thing i thought. i was kind of surprised that he wasn't bursting out in tears, given the gravity of the situation.

either way, cops have very difficult jobs. and while cops get a lot of shit for being shady, there are plenty who try doing a good job, and find themselves in difficult situations.

Back