Cool Duran breakown

Prefect

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Here is a very interesting breakdown of Duran vs Palomino. I had always thought Duran was more brutish than boxer prior to seeing the video breakdown all his tricks and traps in that fight. I felt kind of bad for Palomino that losing badly to this small man like he did discouraged him so much he retired. He made a comeback later but it was too late.

Ray Arcel was a pretty awesome trainer. Tried to get his biolgraphy on Amazon and was sold out :-( Check back later.

Awesome breakdown ! Thank you for sharing

Palomino wasn't all that good. He gets credit for being great because he fought in a great era.

I think Duran's fight with Hagler showcases his skills as a boxer a little better.

i watched Duran Barkely again today, a great, great performance, duran had only a few after the no mas fight and that was one of them. then, i tried to watch the third leonard fight, duran looked like a different man, he didn't do much at all. When the guy was on he was magic, when he was off, he bordered on being a clubfighter.

also, i wouldn't feel bad for palomino, anyone that retires young has added quality to the later years of their lives.

Great video. Many think of Duran as a brawler but he was one of the most intelligent boxers in history, he was a master pugilist. There is a reason he is ranked so high in the ATG list. :)

Ray Arcel was a pretty awesome trainer. Tried to get his biolgraphy on Amazon and was sold out :-( Check back later.
didn't know he had a bio, i heard on here that he abandoned ezzard charles, don't know if it's true or not or what the reasons for, the person who said it made it sound like he just was being cold blooded.

didn't know he had a bio, i heard on here that he abandoned ezzard charles, don't know if it's true or not or what the reasons for, the person who said it made it sound like he just was being cold blooded.

To quote a piece from Jonathan Rendall's book This Bloody Mary is the Last Thing I Own, he said, "despite Ray's professorial tweeds, he had been known as a strict disciplinarian". I'm not sure what it may have Who knows what the falling out with Charles may have been, but it's also not like Ray didn't do everything he could for his fighters. He refused to go along with the "Manager's Guild" which was an extortion ring set up by the mob in the 1950's so that his fighters wouldn't end up among those shameless brutes and he got whacked in the head with a lead pipe in 1953. That would be consistent with his time with Charles. Ray didn't return to boxing until the 70's.

Dunno if that helps at all. I quoted that book because it was a decent read; would recommend!

ya, i know about the pipe story, i don't know if that's why he quit or not. Ezzard was showing visible signs of MS or at least Arcel said later that he could see them. Hopefully it wasn't that. Most accounts of him, hell, all are favorable. the charles thing is just something i heard on here, i don't really know anything else about it. I'm quite sure he didn't like durans no mas thing and I get it.

Back