Controversial Choke

Gorbag

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It's pretty easy to feel when your opponent pass out, when his central nervous system shuts down and there is no resitance, but its not always that clear to see for the referee or the spectators!

Sometimes a choke could have been held a little longer though, just to emphazise and make clear that a passout really happened.

Here a choke where the passout ocurred for only for a very short time;

Last edited:
I thought this was gonna be about the "Hitman Choke" when I saw the thread title.

No controversy, she tapped and then passed out. Ref just couldn't see.

Also that second vid was hysterical

thought this was going to be about a reverse mounted triangle with extra wiggling

Helio Gracie mentioned in an interview that he passed out from a choke when he fought Kimura, but that the referee didn't notice anything!

Here another choke that could have been held a little longer to minimize whining and discussions afterwards;

Ref needs to be much, much closer to watch choke attempts, but for some reason in Judo they're meant to pretend they don't have knees.

I thought this was gonna be about the "Hitman Choke" when I saw the thread title.

Good god I laughed for about five minutes at that. SOund on my laptop is broken-- was he DQd for that? lol

Helio Gracie mentioned in an interview that he passed out from a choke when he fought Kimura, but that the referee didn't notice anything!

Here another choke that could have been held a little longer to minimize whining and discussions afterwards;

That was pretty weak sauce. Japanese refs are corrupt as fuck. Royce is a big boy-- could have let him really go out. I never saw his hands "go limp." And he was up like a shot. I still think, as someone who is not even a big Royce fan, it was a BS stoppage.

Good god I laughed for about five minutes at that. SOund on my laptop is broken-- was he DQd for that? lol

That was pretty weak sauce. Japanese refs are corrupt as fuck. Royce is a big boy-- could have let him really go out. I never saw his hands "go limp." And he was up like a shot. I still think, as someone who is not even a big Royce fan, it was a BS stoppage.

Yeah the kid is DQ'd for it at the end.

Yeah, Royce was probably just resting or meditating under there, a well known jiu jitsu strategy to save up energy! Joke aside, I actually agree, and as I already wrote in the opening post, its better to keep the chokehold a little longer to avoid controversy afterwards...

So that was in NAGA, right? In IBJJF tourneys, can you use your belt to choke in any capacity? What if it is still teid around your waist?

I'm pretty sure it's legal as long as the belt is still tied around yours or their waist.

Back