controlling center

Redtarget

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Whats the most effective way to control the center of the ring? Not talking about cutting the ring off / walking someone down but more against a guy who ALSO wants to be in the center but you want to show them you are the dominant man.....

I would assume backing up when the guy is trying to bully his way into the middle would defeat the purpose but Ive seen top guys like spence get physical and use slight pushes, forearms to show the that they arent backing up.....

here is a quick gif from spence last fight.... is something like this ideal? to not get pushed back? I also seen broner do this in the past... a lot in the gavin rees fight.

just wanted to see what the more advanced people on here think is the best way to not let your opponent bully you out of the center of the ring? is there anything else to note or do? because we all seen when broner tried to stand in the center vs maidana........ just trying to see whats right and wrong here

I have a TKD background so I tend to like pop-back or whatever term your gym uses. Move just back enough that your opponent moves forward with his attack, but you barely move, then counter attack. Very different than the GIF, where your opponent is firmly planted and it's just a brute force charge.

Even though I'm pretty large, I prefer to counterstrike and not just brute force people, so if my counter offense doesn't get them off me, I'll pivot and circle and what not.

And if that doesn't work I'll usually just let them have the center and turn into Machida, circling the edge.

Unless I'm tired then I start brute forcing. :)

I'm not sure how much different it is in boxing (if this is what you're primarily looking for), but in Muay Thai I usually just push forward. When they're too close I tie up and do my work in the clinch (one of my strong points)

I'm not sure how much different it is in boxing (if this is what you're primarily looking for), but in Muay Thai I usually just push forward. When they're too close I tie up and do my work in the clinch (one of my strong points)

Ya, sounds like 95% of pro boxing exchanges. Throw a hook, both guys clinch, ref breaks them up, repeat.

I have a TKD background so I tend to like pop-back or whatever term your gym uses. Move just back enough that your opponent moves forward with his attack, but you barely move, then counter attack. Very different than the GIF, where your opponent is firmly planted and it's just a brute force charge.

Even though I'm pretty large, I prefer to counterstrike and not just brute force people, so if my counter offense doesn't get them off me, I'll pivot and circle and what not.

And if that doesn't work I'll usually just let them have the center and turn into Machida, circling the edge.

Unless I'm tired then I start brute forcing. :)

It's not just about strenght, although strenght helps.

It's about technique and leverage pushing someone back. Look at Spence, his stance, how he lowers his center of gravity, how he uses his legs and hips to push his opponent upwards and back(raising his center of gravity). That is the way to push someone back with your shoulder or forearm. He understands how to transfer weight very well.

Back