Control now available on switch, via streaming.

Discussion in 'The Arcade' started by Deadwing88, Oct 28, 2020.

1. Deadwing88 Caliph of Dagestan.

2. method115 Titanium Belt

I think this is the second game to do this on the switch. Seems like xcloud Game pass coming to switch should be a no brainer.

3. Madmick Zugzwang Staff Member Senior Moderator

No. I can't think of any sound reason Microsoft would bring their flagship service to a competitor.

This is Ubitus.
    https://www.ubitus.net/en/aboutubitus.html

4. method115 Titanium Belt

To me it seems MS is all about getting gamepass to as many people as possible. When they asked Phil about he certainly didn't rule it out as a possibility. Seems they want to work on other devices first though. Not even sure Nintendo would be ok with. I know for sure Sony would never allow it.

The Clark likes this.
  5. Madmick Zugzwang Staff Member Senior Moderator

The strategy is to get it to as many devices as possible that aren't competitors. Notice a trend?
    • PC Windows (not MacOS, not Linux)
    • Xbox One, Xbox Series X/S (not PS5, PS4, Vita, Switch, Wii U, Wii)
    • Android, iOS

The only reason he might consider putting Game Pass on the Switch is because as it is it would be a pitiful, almost pointless version of the service. There would be like 20 games on it. It wouldn't increase the Switch's attractiveness, and almost no Switch users would want it, but whatever came in would be gravy on top for Microsoft.

6. jefferz Steel Belt

7. Madmick Zugzwang Staff Member Senior Moderator

Again, the only way the service would make any sense on the Switch is if they offered it as a streaming-only service (like they do for Android and iOS). Even then, it doesn't make sense to feed a competitor.

8. HereticBD Plutonium Belt

I don't know if Nintendo could be considered a competitor anymore. Technically they are, obviously, but I don't know how much they're really digging into each other's profits, even though it's the same industry. I think it's a bit of a grey area with Nintendo. Nintendo seems to just be doing their own thing, and I could see MS looking for a slice of their pie, and it could be beneficial to both sides for them to have a loose alliance.

9. Madmick Zugzwang Staff Member Senior Moderator

I think both Microsoft and Sony have more interest in competing to secure the family-friendly and single player markets.

But the fact Nintendo is so divergent is a reason Game Pass on the Switch doesn't make sense unless it treats it like a phone: only a fraction of Game Pass games are compatible. So it's not so much about bringing Game Pass to the Switch as it is about bringing the xCloud to the Switch. That is more sensible given the handheld from factor the Switch can adopt.