Contrary to popular opionion, I think the UFC just wants Conor to fight and don't care if he loses

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by djhype, Jul 11, 2019.

1. djhype

djhype Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

They will gladly sacrafice him again to the just bleed Gods like they did against Khabib for some quick and dirty cash.

Have to give Conor credit that he is great at making people payig to see him lose.

Hope he comes back though I admit to see get beaten up.

2. Druken_Vovchanchyn

Druken_Vovchanchyn Yellow Card Yellow Card

Lol i dont think the there is any question they dont care if he loses. They matched him up with khabib. LMAO

3. Hardcore MMA

Hardcore MMA Green Belt

Conor’s only got 1-2 fights left in his career. The UFC doesn’t care anymore if he wins. They know people will tune in regardless of who he fights, so I tend to agree with the original thread. Conor essentially stopped fighting in 2016. He had a great run and decided to cash out when the UFC allowed him to fight Mayweather for his big pay day.

Roljo, GrayArea, wwkirk and 3 others like this.
  4. Peoples

Peoples Blue Belt

The UFC doesn't care about any fighter. Its a business and if your star falls down they'll find another one.

Look at the boxing sport if you wanna see what protecting and building a record means

Medulla Omoplata and Crom Cruach like this.
  5. Dana's Moonface

Dana's Moonface Black Belt

UFC will run the gravy train until it Crashes!

Of course they would prefer Conor to go on a winning run, but their priority is getting him in that cage to fight Khabib

Mark my words. Tony will have to wait a little while before he gets his shot. Conor will be in attendance for Khabib v Dustin and he WILL fight the winner!

Money talks!!!

Chok Sok Te likes this.
  6. Akoo

Akoo Orange Belt

Especially if he keeps yapping his mouth about getting a share of the UFC lol
    [​IMG]

Roljo likes this.
  7. Medulla Omoplata

Medulla Omoplata Mayberry Comptroller

I think everyone, including the UFC, knows Conor is done as an elite fighter.
    He's just not putting in the work anymore to stay sharp.
    Hasn't had a win in 3 years.

He had a hell of a run, and was a great fighter, and I can't blame him for losing that fire.

I think he's also aware that he's only got one or two paydays left, and is likely waiting for the right matchup.

Hardcore MMA likes this.
  8. Dorkman

Dorkman Red Belt

Definitely the case. They probably think he isn't going to be in it too much longer given how infrequently he fights these days. So they'll take any of the sales they can get at this point.

9. mkess101

mkess101 Not the hero he deserves, but the hero he needs Yellow Card

TS is finding out that it's not "contrary to popular opinion".

Of course they'd prefer he fight and win, but at this point I'm sure they figure it's good enough if they can cash in 1-2 more times.

10. Hardcore MMA

Hardcore MMA Green Belt

True, but finding a star is much easier said than done. No one comes close to doing Conor/Ronda numbers on the current roster. UFC trying to build up guys like Israel, but he will never come close to Conor.

Peoples likes this.
  11. Bmoredj

Bmoredj White Belt

That's definitely true, that being said, he's gonna have to start winning to keep his fans interest.

12. Lint2

Lint2 jmp dword ptr [ebp+8]

You're right, it's not UFC, it's Connor who doesn't want to get battered anymore.

And don't say "quick and dirty cash", it's just cash, it's just money, that's what McGregor kept saying until he became the (sucker?) he is as of these days.

13. Andre Xiong

Andre Xiong Silver Belt Professional Fighter

They’re still bigger than any one fighter, financial-power wise. He has some leverage but there’s also a reason Dana smirks it off when Conor wants a share.
    Mayweather Jr: “me n you are rich Dana!”

They’re already moving on to Khabib: new contract, new market areas.

Istryker likes this.
  14. Tweak896

Tweak896 Brown Belt

ufc will do with conor what they did with brock after he lost his title. put him in with everyone that has longer shelf life until he retires. conor's already doing the same post-title-brock fight once a year

15. kflo

kflo Steel Belt

they would definitely rather he fight than not fight. if he fights, they'd prefer he wins. if he wins, they'd prefer he fights again....repeat.

Private Whatley likes this.
  16. mmacasualviewer

mmacasualviewer Hardcores vs Casuals

I think they care if he loses by submission, makes a bunch of self deprecating peformance comments and sets up a favorable rematch.

17. kflo

kflo Steel Belt

he's literally had one mma fight since the best mma performance of his career, against arguably his worst stylistic matchup. it's impossible to say whether he's done or not. now, it's impossible to say he's still elite as well, since we haven't seen him elite in years.

Medulla Omoplata likes this.
  18. campbecc

campbecc Silver Belt

They'd rather he fight and lose than not fight. But I'm sure they would rather he win than lose, if he loses his PPV buys will go down.

19. campbecc

campbecc Silver Belt

he lost one fight and Khabib would have always been a huge favorite against him.

20. myjohnson9

myjohnson9 GOAT

At this point they just want to get him in there any means necessary. But all the way up to the Diaz fight I think they had a plan and hopes he didn’t lose