contractors

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by Deleted member 409801, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Has anyone had a particularly bad experience with a contractor? Im in the midst of one, and can now see why as a group they have such a dubious reputation.

Any way so I paid a landscaping / grading guy $1800.00 to put a drain in at my house. He put 1 basin in and tied 2 gutters into pipe and ran it down the driveway.....simple enough right? EXCEPT he only buried it 8-10 inches at its deepest and 4-5 inches at its shallowest , and he ran it right under the tire track where it will continually be run over. Its been a week and I'm pretty sure it's already crushed in one spot as the ground has sunken 4-5 inches there . He also failed to put down any kind of stone to deal with the mud that he dug up , so now my driveway is total fucking mud pit. I had concerns when it was done....was assured by him it would be "ok" and now I'm just fucking livid everytime I look at it. Speaking with the dude is infuriating and insulting to my intelligence.....dont try tell me something is fine and fucking dandy when Stevie wonder could see you've done shit work. I basically paid 2grand for something that doesn't work and now I've got a driveway that requires me to shift into 4wd to navigate ( seriously)

Alas , we had a verbal agreement and he has already gotten paid so I'm pretty much fucked! Moral of the story , get EVERYTHING in writing, be there when you are having work done and don't be shy about holding someone accountable. $1800 lesson learned.

2. Caution

Caution If at first you don't succeed, move to China

He rustled your jimmies and fleeced you out of $18,000.

Trolls need to take notes from this guy.

3. thankfully only $1800 , we had considered paving it but it was gonna be 12-15k so we decided to put the drain in instead and hold off a year or 2. There's a good chance we would have used him.....so that's somewhat of a silver lining to a shitcloud...i guess.

4. Oblivian

Oblivian Aging Platinum Member

I'm no drain expert, so I would make sure what he did was way off. Once you confirm that, have him over to explain the work. Let him know that you've talked with other contractors and they said his work was unacceptable. Ask him to fix it. If he denies, let him know that you plan on telling your story to as many people as possible on social media, letters to the editor, etc. Then fuck his wife (even if she's fat) to teach him a lesson

5. Kruppe

Kruppe Purple Belt

I've never had to deal with one as a customer, but when I did voice/data cabling for a year, I met plenty of general contractors that would screw the sub-contractors over at any opportunity. Most contractors/general contrators that I met were honest at their jobs, but it wasn't hard to find those who'd cut corners every chance they got, either on their employees or their customers.

Oblivian's advice sounds the best, but like you said, always get everything in writing. I'd trust someone I've known for years to a handshake business deal, but not anyone else.

6. TTech

TTech Purple Belt

If possible in writing I suppose and if doing bigger works, always hire someone good to control them and overview the whole work all the time instead of you. I dont think Ive had one experience where at least something was not wrong. Unless youre on them all the time, they screw things up, they dont show up (this always amazes me, over the years we've had a seriously high number of various contractors in and out and not one was worried about losing the work, they have too much work), 99% have no feeling for aesthetics, are completely unreliable if you need them to fix things afterwards... Letting them do anything completely by themselves and hoping it comes out fine is naive. ITs so much work, thats why I hate dealing with them.

7. n...not crazy

n...not crazy Red Belt

Get to know a good GC. He subs out the work but they have to answer to him. He will be interested in keeping you as a continuing client, and not see you as a one-off (a fence guy will never expect to see you again, for instance).

References are important. But I live in a small town so contractors cannot get away with being shmucks.. Easy for me to say

8. One would think something as simple a burying a pipe in the ground would be hard to fuck up , especially for a " professional" that has been in business since 1996. Its apparent now that he is either completely incompetent or it was done with maximize profits and to hell with how it turns out approach. Its just that it's so obviously bad that I can't figure out how he thought he was just gonna skate away with no repercussions. I've got a lot of time on my hands right now and one motivated person can do lots of damage to his reputation online.

9. TTech

TTech Purple Belt

Never think about how easy it is. They just manage to f*ck it up all the same. Im not even going into all the things they f*cked up during our last renovation. But even afterwards, simple things still remain like the wiring guy, youd think he would put the light switches back in order as they were. No, the guy is also in business 30 years and everything is mixed up now, every light switch turns off some x light now. The wooden floors were done by also by some reputable dude. He came to measure the hard wood floor pieces twice. Youd think he would get it right. Now this one we really did not expect and because of polishing we had to wait for it to dry off. Guess what, the older hard wood floor tiles are 30% smaller than the new ones. He measured it TWICE. The main kitchen counter is not level at all. He didnt say anything of course, just flung something underneath which we noticed afterwards. A guy who paints houses and everything all his life, still does it worse than I would. Etc.. etc..

10. akimbo187

akimbo187 Green Belt

One thing is, would you be buying the material, or would it be him? If he is getting paid $1800, I highly doubt that it is in his budget to supply stone material, or excess depth for the pipe. As far as I can recall, hydro utilities are usually placed 12 inches below ground level, so I can see how this would be pretty shallow. A bit of 3 inch minus, or 3 quarter clear would run around $150-350. So if you subtract that from what he makes, plus additional labor costs, he is not pocketing a whole lot. I cannot really say definitely though, as I have not seen the work.

11. He used 120 ft of 4 inch black corrugated pipe ( $65 for 100 ft at Lowe's) , 3 sections of basin drain (@ $50 each at Lowe's) and a few misc fittings...$100 would be generous. He used a trencher and I called a local company to enquir about cost , its $220 for an entire day. He is right around $500 for materials. He was there 4-5 hours.....1300$ minus whatever he paid the drunk helper he had is a pretty good 1/2 day id say.

And then there is the case of depth. You have a trenchr that'll go down 2 ft....why 8 inches ? Especially when it's DIRECTLY underneath a tire track (i specifically requested it NOT be put there)that is used daily by a 5000lb truck. You just can't do that and expect it to hold up ( its already caving in) He shouldn't be quoting prices for an inadequate job. I get that he wants to make a profit....what I'm not cool with is doing the absolute bare minimum on something that is going to cause immediate and major issues if it's fucked up. It's hard to do it justice by telling you about it. When everyone ..friends , neighbors ECT can look at it from the street and say " damn...thats fucked up" I'd say he did a shit job.

12. Broken arrow

Broken arrow Purple Belt

Go to the CCB... They will look at the big picture and then mediate a solution based on who is at fault

13. what's that ccb?

14. Snakesolidsnake

Snakesolidsnake Purple Belt

Verbal contracts are legally binding. If you paid him and he fucked it up and caused even more damage, he's absolutely liable.

15. Broken arrow

Broken arrow Purple Belt

Construction Contractors Board

They are responsible for licensing all contractors

16. Groundswell

Groundswell Brown Belt

A. Hire a licensed inspector to document the shoddy work.

B. File a complaint and provide the inspector's report to the body that oversees licensing and regulation of said contractor.

C. Watch contractor squirm and go hungry as he gets his license yanked for 6 months. Peers will see his suspension online and in monthly publication of violators.

D. Using inspector's report and subsequent suspension, sue for the return of your money, etc.

I did this and crushed the GC who tried to screw me. He couldn't work for 6 months (no income) and had to go in front of the licensing board and plea to get his license back. Major comeuppance.

17. Sounds like a plan. I suppose I need to ask for my money back first correct? I don't even want him in my yard anymore so fixing it is not an option to me...I don't have any faith in his ability to do it competently at this point. What happened to you man? 6 months is a long time for your GC to think about how he fucked with the wrong dude...I like it!

18. Groundswell

Groundswell Brown Belt

No, you've hit your limit. It's time for hardball. He's incompetent and took your money and doesn't care what you think.

19. blink_man182

blink_man182 Black Belt

Only contractor I refer to now is Youtube. I've figured out how to at least a half decent job on pretty much anything around the house on there.

20. Jaxxxa

Jaxxxa Yellow Belt

I'm a contractor (asphalt), and I see this kind of shitty work all the time. Pipe under a driveway should be SDR35 PVC at a minimum, and never any type of plastic box drains. That shit drives me crazy.

You need to get a few estimates, and ask around about each company before hiring them. You should also consider pricing out the driveway work, and have the same contractor do the pipe so they will warranty it when they pave. Just tell them you're waiting a year or 2 to do it all.

The problem I see a lot is that people love to go with some wacky lowball estimate, and end up with a guy who is cutting mad corners, or has no clue what he's doing in the first place. Not saying that's what you did, just that it is common.

Either way I doubt you'll have much recourse here, shady dudes tend to be good at... being shady. But good luck, hopefully it works out for you.