Contractor Repos/Destroys Tile Work for Non-payment

Smokes

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score

Lady paid 3k but was holding out on the rest of the 7k payment til he was done but he felt she was never gonna pay him, so he took back his work.

What a waste of time and resources.

Could have taken her to court instead.

He has my sympathies because yes he is relying on this to feed his family etc

I can't see this helping him in any way, other than venting his frustrations for five minutes to spite her.

He doesn't get his money, he gets displayed as a loose cannon and some fucked up tribunal could make him repair it or pay for repairs...

entertaining enough though

People that refuse to pay contractors are a scourge,
that beeing said in this case i saw some photos of the bathroom before he destroyed it, it was utter shit and i wouldn't have paid for it either
Video Shows Contractor Destroying His Own Work With Sledgehammer Over Payment Dispute
By Samantha Berlin On 9/20/21 at 5:27 PM EDT
Woman Revamps 'World's Smallest Bathroom' Measuring 33 Inches Across
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on LinkedInShare on RedditShare on Flipboard Share via Email Comments
Culture Viral video Colorado
A video circulating on Reddit's r/PublicFreakout shows an angry contractor in Colorado destroying his own work with a sledgehammer. The contractor claims it was due to a payment dispute with the homeowners.

"We put weeks into this, thousands of dollars into this," the man is heard saying in the video. "Sir I understand," the woman recording the video replied. She then asks him to "please stop" destroying the newly tiled shower.

"Is somebody gonna pay me?" the man asks. "Sir, I'm just asking you to stop, it's not your house to destroy," the woman can be heard telling the man as he starts taking his sledgehammer to more of the shower.

"This is my property. I have receipts for everything," the man says as he points at the woman recording the video. The woman replies again that she understands and the contractor starts violently hammering at the tile and yelling "no you f***ing don't."

Newsweek Newsletter sign-up >

The homeowner, Amber Trucke, told KKTV news that she hired the contracting company to do some renovation inside her home in Colorado Springs, but she was unhappy with the work. She said her roommate let the contractors in after they showed up to the house to pick up their stuff, KKTV reports.

The woman's roommate let them in while the homeowner was at work and that's when the contractor started destroying the entire remodel and the surrounding drywall, too.

"That's not taking back your stuff," the roommate is heard saying in the video. "It is our stuff, this is how we need to take it back," one of the other contractors replied.

Newsweek subscription offers >
"I'm more than happy to deal with the police, more than happy," the other contractor said while taking a break from the sledgehammer.

Read more
He then turns to the woman and says, "let me tell you something. No contractor in the state of Colorado will fix that when they found out that I took it back because she refused to pay me. No one." The two contractors then grab their tools and are filmed leaving the house.

Trucke also has invoices saying she already paid over $3,000 of the owed $7,500 to the contractor. She didn't want to pay the remainder of the bill until she was fully satisfied with the work.

In a Facebook post written by the homeowner's real estate agent, the woman claims the company wanted the bill fully paid, even though the glass door had not yet arrived and she was still not assured the plumbing would work.

Currently, the number and websites associated with the contracting company, Dream Home Remodel of Colorado, are inactive. Comments on the company's official Yelp site have been disabled for "increased public attention."

"Communication broke down and resulted in our company repossessing a tile shower," the contracting company told KKTV in a statement. "It has never happened before and is not something that is made regular practice."

contractor-destroys-work-over-payment-dispute.jpg

The Colorado contractor claims he was repossessing the newly remodeled shower since he did not receive payment, but the homeowner said she has proof that she paid over $3,000 of the bill and was waiting to finish paying until she was fully satisfied with the job. megakunstfoto/Getty Images
Trucke told KKTV she intends to take the situation to court. Local authorities said they are looking into the matter.

Within the Reddit thread, a user named u/Rentthejoe added alleged photos of the contractor's work before it was destroyed. The photos show large gaps within the tile and messy grout work. There also are pictures that show chips in the tile as well as sharp edges that stick out from the shower step.

"I was all on the contractor's side until I saw those pictures. It looks like garbage. These poor people," one user commented on the thread.

"I literally thought, 'oh my god that looks EXACTLY like the showers when I was in the county jail..'" another said in the comments.

What sort of contractor does work without getting paid first?

Idiot.

This isnt gonna look good on his Thumbtack profile

What sort of contractor does work without getting paid first?

Idiot.
Um most of them ? (in the US it's pretty standard). Projects that are 2 days or less almost always charge 100% after the job is done (basic plumbing, electrical work, handyman projects).

Remodeling projects (anywhere from weeks to maybe a couple months) it's pretty standard to do what happened in the OP (down payment and then payments as the project goes on).

My brothers garage conversion which he just finished was 30% of the money to start, another 30% once the drywall was up, and then the remaining 40% when paint, trim, and outlets where installed.

I've heard of similar things happening with contractors affiliated with the hells angels

Relying on a renter to access the house, oof. Borderline B&E. This dude is legally fucked, all for a temper tantrum.

This happened to me during the middle of a haircut. I paid $10 and told the guy I didn't have the full amount so the dickhead snuck into my home while I was sleeping and proceeded to shave my head

Heard about this on my drive into work. Some guy from portland is going head out and fix it for her, apparently.

Usually not a fan of dicking contractors, but in this case.......i did better work on my folks rentals when I was fucking 12.

Project does come off as incomplete because there was grout almost everywhere and some uneven tiles. He could have easily cleaned up the grout although the uneven tiles would have taken much more of his time.

Well he just handed her a victory in a lawsuit.

In a contract for services that require performance, the party that contracted for work to be done can withhold payment pending a reasonable belief that the performance is defective or cannot be completed as promised. This requires the other party to give assurance (which really only requires the performer to make an adequate case that he will be able to complete as promised).

In a nutshell, if you can reasonably claim that the job you hired a contractor to perform will not be up to your contracted standard, you can withhold payment until they show otherwise. Now the gal's lawyers are already making that claim; that the work was shoddy, that he had failed to gather the materials he said he would, and that she was genuinely concerned he couldn't finish the work as promised. Now his rebuttal will have to include that he got pissed and said fuck it and took a sledgehammer to his previous work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notnormal
Back