consume Fish oil and improve performance and recovery!

LeveRAGE.tv

White Belt
Reaction score
Before I dig into this topic, I am interested in what sher dog members can comment about fish oil supplementation and why every grappler should be using it.

Please bite your tonque and withdrawl from silly comments.

take care

Joint health, heart health. Man there are far to many reasons everyone should be taking it. Hormone levels regualtion. But hey I like Cissus for joint health, but dammit I am out:)

If you don't eat a lot of fish they can help a lot. If someone is eating fish, or even things with olive oil, extra supplementation is unnecissary.

Also, fish oils are fish oils. I wouldn't see why a name brand would be any more effective than the local grocery store's brand.

Who said anything about a name brand? Do you know how many pounds of fish you would have to eat a week to equal say 6 fish oil capsules a day?

Especially since most fish is farmed raise and most fish only contain a small amount of Omega fats.

But coach knows his shit, almost to much to list.

THe problem also lies in the ratio from omega 3 to 6. We should be at a 2:1 ratio but the USA is at a 100:1 ratio!!!

Supplementing is the only way to health. Your monounsaturated fats like olive oil are wonderful but fish oil should be a staple in Every american diet and a necessity in a grapplers diet.

take care

Rjkd12 said:
If you don't eat a lot of fish they can help a lot. If someone is eating fish, or even things with olive oil, extra supplementation is unnecissary.

Also, fish oils are fish oils. I wouldn't see why a name brand would be any more effective than the local grocery store's brand.

We do not sell fish oil. Plus every fish oil is a name brand.

take care

I like fish oil. Its one supp that I have my non-training family take. Good for mental health as well.

What about mercury and other toxins found in fish. Doesn't it make it's way into the oil too?

Hmmm, intersting, i asked a friend what I should take for omega 3's and she said Salmon oil cuz she feels its a bit more potent/better than fish oil, thoughts anyone?

what about flax seed oil? doesnt it provide most all of the benefits of "fish" oils in general?

I don't think mercury would, since mercury comes from the fishes diet I think. I don't know how the small fish get it, but they do. Then the fish that eat them get it more, and the fish that eat them even more all the way up to the predetor fish. That is why when you look at the chart of fish and averag mercury content the big predator fish have the most.

This is a biological phenomenom that I forget the name of. Assuming that the pills fats are either sythetic (most likely) or from farm raised fish i would assume they are mercury free.

StevieSparkZ said:
Hmmm, intersting, i asked a friend what I should take for omega 3's and she said Salmon oil cuz she feels its a bit more potent/better than fish oil, thoughts anyone?

I've also heard that apples are better than fruits

Rjkd12 said:
I don't think mercury would, since mercury comes from the fishes diet I think. I don't know how the small fish get it, but they do. Then the fish that eat them get it more, and the fish that eat them even more all the way up to the predetor fish. That is why when you look at the chart of fish and averag mercury content the big predator fish have the most.

This is a biological phenomenom that I forget the name of. Assuming that the pills fats are either sythetic (most likely) or from farm raised fish i would assume they are mercury free.

Mercury is FDA-regulated.

Acutally...I believe that farmraised salmon have the most amount of mercury.

i'm thinking of getting some of this fish oil suppliments. I mentioned it to my dad and he said he use to take 'em but they're quite pricey.
-Jon

Well Biological Anthropoligist believe that we evolved to become the dominate species because of omega 3 fats, which provided sufficient calories and micro-nutrients that some how penetrated the blood brain barrier and enabled us to develop greater cognitive abilities. With that being said, there are a vast myriad of other benefits you can acquire from taking fish oil in sufficient quantities.

Its a anti-inflamatory (improves joint mobility), maintains normal cardiac rhythmic function (like what Coach D said about heart healt), brain function and can accelearate the natural healing process of the body hence you can train more without as much rest. This combined with a healthy diet should be one of the top priorities for every athlete especially all things involved with MMA!

Like mentioned previously, if your consuming a standard western diet, your omega 3-6 ratios are completely imbalanced which leads to a deteriroation of the body at a cellular level.

if anyone lives near an eckerd (drug store) there is an advertised 50% off sale on all natrol vitamins and supplements this week. HOWEVER, i went in yesterday to pick up some fish oil and glucosamine, and EVERYTHING was ringing up $1.39. i was expecting a total of $30 and it came up $7 and i was like, ummm did that ring up right, and the cashier just stared at me blankly. i went back and loaded up on more, and everything rang up $1.39 again. awesome, awesome deal. not sure if this is specific to my store or if they have fixed the prices yet, but it may be worth a try for those who are not concerned with the ethical issue of taking advantage of a pricing error.

ddk said:
if anyone lives near an eckerd (drug store) there is an advertised 50% off sale on all natrol vitamins and supplements this week. HOWEVER, i went in yesterday to pick up some fish oil and glucosamine, and EVERYTHING was ringing up $1.39. i was expecting a total of $30 and it came up $7 and i was like, ummm did that ring up right, and the cashier just stared at me blankly. i went back and loaded up on more, and everything rang up $1.39 again. awesome, awesome deal. not sure if this is specific to my store or if they have fixed the prices yet, but it may be worth a try for those who are not concerned with the ethical issue of taking advantage of a pricing error.

what an honest man to ask "if it rang up right."

take care

Back