constipation from low carb....

That sounds like hell. I need a morning dump every day just to get going.

Believe it or not, heres what happened to me:

When I started a low carb diet, I thought I was getting plugged up too. Pissing me right off. Then I realized that I was just eating more efficient foods, and was producing far less waste. I'm a ritual-shit man, if I don't have a good shit or two a day, something isn't right. I found I was still aiming for those good shits, but in reality the efficient food resulted in only a good shit every 2 or 3 days.

I realized this too when I made a transition from my normal carb heavy diet.

Only use laxatives if you really have to. Your body begins to develop a dependency if you use it regularly.

I am glad I am not the only on who experiences this. I am kinda backedup too.:icon_sad: I tired increasing greens. Kinda helped. I tried tossing dairy. Its hit or miss with this. Sometimes it eases up. I want to try the chia seeds. Dark Chocolate, Coffee, Nuts and Psylium husk make it worse on my colon. I am open to any advice to getting my stool moving like it used too. I never used to have big colon problems. Now I feel I have IBS and other colon issues. Any of you have had some blood in your stool? Can you feel my pain?:icon_sad:

Any of you have had some blood in your stool?

I"ve had blood off and on for years now. Just caused by internal hemmorhoids in my case, nothing serious. Don't feel any pain or anything. I'd go to a doc just to rule out the usual shit like ulcer or polyps or shit like that. Chances are its just a hemmorhoid from straining or a fissure (small tears in the asshole tissue).

Believe it or not, heres what happened to me:

When I started a low carb diet, I thought I was getting plugged up too. Pissing me right off. Then I realized that I was just eating more efficient foods, and was producing far less waste. I'm a ritual-shit man, if I don't have a good shit or two a day, something isn't right. I found I was still aiming for those good shits, but in reality the efficient food resulted in only a good shit every 2 or 3 days.

Same here.

when low carbing i try to have a few serves of natural or greek yogurt during the day. i norm have coupla spoonfuls with each meal and it does the trick very well. also with your salads try adding balsamic as it helps break down the digestion of meat apparently.

my usual go to to solve this issue whenever there's a diet change (or I go on vacation) is prebiotic fiber + probiotics + anti gut biofilm stuff (Cooling Inflammation: Cure for Inflammatory Diseases)

so I take on an empty stomach first thing in the morning
digestive enzymes (anti gut biofilm and awesome in general, papya/pineapple contain ones for protein if you don't want pills)
grapefruit pectin (any pectin will do, it breaks up biofilms , its soluble fiber and feeds good gut flora, you can also do straight fruit in moderation)
a decent probiotic (vitamin shoppe ultimate 10 or Primal defense at the moment, can also do greek yogurt, raw milk, kefir, kombucha, kim chee, saurkraut whatever you like that's full of live bacteria).

which usually cleans me out before I'm hungry, or I add a latte made with grassfed cream instead of milk (espresso + fat = tasty).

In general I also avoid insoluble fiber because it acts like sandpaper on your colon (cancer/horrible require a colonosotpy bag diseases risk), and is replacing the bulk that you should have from a normal healthy gut bacteria (your shit is supposed to be all dead bacteria bodies, cause they should be eating anything you don't directly make use of, if both you and your bacteria can't eat it, its pretty pointless.)

If you are switching directly to low carb/paleo/primal part of the about two weeks of adjustment is usually your gut flora getting used to the new diet, the stuff I do is an attempt to speedup that process. And as mentioned part of it is realizing there's a lot less left over with the better foods and diet (less crap to crap).

This just started for me about a week ago. I've been low-carbing and eating fairly clean since about June(maybe even April) and usually I have a bowel movement every day(once in a while every other day) but now it's like I'm going every 3 days or so(maybe longer if I didn't force it). And I've got some raunchy gas too. I've tried to force it out but hardly anything comes out. I don't feel a lot of pressure or anything but the gas is so annoying(and it feels like it's all muddy in there but nothing comes out). My fiber is good, my fat is good, I'm drinking plenty of water.

Last edited:
U se Flax Seeds.........sprinkle them on anything or take a mouthfull.....good for you and works EVERY TIME been using them for years

This just started for me about a week ago. I've been low-carbing and eating fairly clean since about June(maybe even April) and usually I have a bowel movement every day(once in a while every other day) but now it's like I'm going every 3 days or so(maybe longer if I didn't force it). And I've got some raunchy gas too. I've tried to force it out but hardly anything comes out. I don't feel a lot of pressure or anything but the gas is so annoying(and it feels like it's all muddy in there but nothing comes out). My fiber is good, my fat is good, I'm drinking plenty of water.

Did you change anything in your diet? I find that if I eat a fairly routine diet for a while and then change it up, the gas is excrutiating lol.

Did you change anything in your diet? I find that if I eat a fairly routine diet for a while and then change it up, the gas is excrutiating lol.

No, not really. I have a cheat day once a week where I eat anything I want, but that's it. My diet usually goes like this and rarely deviates:

6:00am - Rolled oats, 1/2 cup of mixed fruit, flax seeds, cinnamon, almonds
9:00am - Beef jerky, cashews/walnuts, maybe some spinach or fruit
12:00pm - Tuna, spinach, cashews/walnuts, random fruit(usually an apple)
2:00pm - Beef jerky, cashews/walnuts, maybe some spinach or fruit
4:00pm - Sometimes I don't eat other times I eat a combo of the above
6:00pm - Chicken or fish with spinach
8:00pm - Yogurt, Blueberries, Peanut Butter

And I always take my fish oil and Source of Life Multi(No Iron) every morning.

Eating a buttload of high fiber veggies does the trick for me, results in a double flusher in the morning. Around the end of my dreams have something to do with pooping since I have to poo so bad. Though If I ever poo my bed I'm stopping the veggies before bed.

No, not really. I have a cheat day once a week where I eat anything I want, but that's it. My diet usually goes like this and rarely deviates:

6:00am - Rolled oats, 1/2 cup of mixed fruit, flax seeds, cinnamon, almonds
9:00am - Beef jerky, cashews/walnuts, maybe some spinach or fruit
12:00pm - Tuna, spinach, cashews/walnuts, random fruit(usually an apple)
2:00pm - Beef jerky, cashews/walnuts, maybe some spinach or fruit
4:00pm - Sometimes I don't eat other times I eat a combo of the above
6:00pm - Chicken or fish with spinach
8:00pm - Yogurt, Blueberries, Peanut Butter

And I always take my fish oil and Source of Life Multi(No Iron) every morning.

A whole cheat day every week?

I know its nothing compared to the average male, but its still a lot. Id say try staying below those 10% of total cheat meals and maybe dont bombard your body for an entire day. Have one cheat meal every two days (assuming 5+ meals a day) instead of one 16hr garbage eating session.

Dont ask for studies to back up my claims or anything, but it seems common sense to me that this would work better.

A whole cheat day every week?

I know its nothing compared to the average male, but its still a lot. Id say try staying below those 10% of total cheat meals and maybe dont bombard your body for an entire day. Have one cheat meal every two days (assuming 5+ meals a day) instead of one 16hr garbage eating session.

Dont ask for studies to back up my claims or anything, but it seems common sense to me that this would work better.

Well I guess I should say that my breakfast is generally the same as my regular days. So basically lunch and everything after.

Not sure if me doing that vs. what you are saying is any different though.

A cup of coffee in the morning fixes this for me.

Hydration and fat intake are the key. Are you feeling like you have to go but cant or are you just not taking a shit? Correct me if I am wrong but the lower carb you go the less bulk you have in your stoll right? Doesnt shit like meat get absorbed into your body where as shit like bread and veggies dont? So wouldnt that mean you take shits less often on a low carb diet. Correct me if I am wrong.

When I was doing the low carb thing, I just stuffed my face full of baby spinach every chance I got.

Hydration and fat intake are the key. Are you feeling like you have to go but cant or are you just not taking a shit? Correct me if I am wrong but the lower carb you go the less bulk you have in your stoll right? Doesnt shit like meat get absorbed into your body where as shit like bread and veggies dont? So wouldnt that mean you take shits less often on a low carb diet. Correct me if I am wrong.

Carbs aren't so much related to stool bulk as fiber is. Fiber is your undigestable polysaccharides like cellulose (a vegetable fiber) that help push shit through your system. Carbohydrates are simply different sugar molecules that provide quick energy.

Back