constipation from low carb....

largemansmay***

Black Belt
Reaction score
What do you guys do to solve this. I am eating an apple, a good serving of almonds, and probably a cup of assorted veggies a day. This doesn't seem to be enough fiber and I'm a bit constipated. What do you guys do for this?

You can add fiber supplements, powdered psyllium to your protein shake and it'll actually slow the absorption of the whey, which is a good thing.

Also, make sure your fat intake is high enough, and that you're hydrated enough. It's not always fiber that's the culprit here.

I drink a lot of water actually. I will see what I will do about my fat intake. I actually think it is pretty high because I eat nuts, use olive oil on my salads, eat a few eggs with cheese and turkey bacon, and try to make sure to have some sort of fatty meat for dinner (and if it is boneless skinless chicken breast, I will coat it with ground pork rinds...it is delicious.)

Anyway, I will see how things work out for the next couple weeks while keeping your suggestions in mind and see if I need metamucil. Thanks a lot.

If your total vegetable intake per day totals one cup, you've probably got more problems than constipation. Kale chips are a pretty delicious snacking food that would serve the purpose. Add in some more broccoli and cauliflower and chances are you won't need any sort of supplement and you'll be getting a better micronutrient load as well.

Last edited:
Search "constipation," "regularity," etc. on Robb Wolf's site. I remember him talking about constipation for people switching over to Paleo and/or lower-carb eating on one of his podcasts. Rather than butcher his advice, I suggest searching there, let me know if you can't find what you're looking for.

Figs, molasses (black strap if you can get it), spinach, carrot. If your serious about keeping your bowels in shape think seriously about getting a Colema Board. Starting fresh really helps you notice what foods are causing blockages.

My 1 cup estimate for veggies was probably pretty low...I am probably eating 1.5-2 cups, and I eat a big spinach salad too. But I figured spinach didn't have much fiber.

just add a psylium product at some part of the day. i add some to any shakes i have throughout the day and before bed.

You could also try magnesium citrate before bed as well. Can help a little bit with sleep.

Drink more water. Thats it.

You could also up the fat, as sinister said. But really up your water intake and you should be fine.

For me Chia seeds mixed with ground psyllium husk and inulin do it for me. The chia seeds were definitely the difference maker.

For me Chia seeds mixed with ground psyllium husk and inulin do it for me. The chia seeds were definitely the difference maker.

Holy fuck dude, I tried a serving of chia seeds in water a few weeks ago and took the most epic dump of my life. I think chia seeds on their own will do, adding psyllium might be overkill.

Coffee every morning sually does the trick for most. Another good thing is to munch on sunflower seeds They have plenty of fiber and protein.

Has anyone else noticed the irony of the band "cake" being played in a primal recipe video?
yes ironic.

Do you pay attention to food combining ? Poor combinations can neutralize the beneficial effects of what your eating & cause backups in your bowel. You could well be loosing the usefulness of spinach on your bowl function because your putting it onto a poor combination (protein & starch for example) still in your gut.

Holy fuck dude, I tried a serving of chia seeds in water a few weeks ago and took the most epic dump of my life. I think chia seeds on their own will do, adding psyllium might be overkill.

LOL well maybe it WOULD be fine on its' own I don't know. What I DO know is that even with combining those other 2 things, I still don't take the kind of epic dump you speak of, and I don't go 3 times a day like Sinister. Once a day for me is good. It used to be a LOT worse than that. However...maybe I'll try JUST the chia seeds and if I really don't notice any difference then I can save myself some money and have you to thank. >: )

Sinkamas, which looks somewhat like a turnip, is a great little fiber veggie. I see them more at Meijer and larger grocery stores. It's crunchy and goes well chopped up in a salad, or by itself.

Believe it or not, heres what happened to me:

When I started a low carb diet, I thought I was getting plugged up too. Pissing me right off. Then I realized that I was just eating more efficient foods, and was producing far less waste. I'm a ritual-shit man, if I don't have a good shit or two a day, something isn't right. I found I was still aiming for those good shits, but in reality the efficient food resulted in only a good shit every 2 or 3 days.

Back