Constant stiff neck from no gi

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Deltafarce, Feb 8, 2020.

1. Deltafarce Green Belt

When I don’t train my neck is fine, when I do no gi my neck gets really sore and stiff.

I’ve mostly been training no gi so it’s been a rough road.

In another thread someone recommended iron neck? Am I just using bad technique which is over working my neck or do I just need to strengthen my neck? Kinda a strange question but I figure another grappler in here would be able to understand or relate

2. Smato_rules Blue Belt

Mine is shot from getting choked and is out of line, was shown by xrays at an ortho. He said chiropracticers can realign in which is the first time I’ve ever heard a dr recommend a chiro.

Other than that I saw barbell medecine guys reccomend those weight hanging things that go around your head for grapplers. Lastly, my boxing coach has us end each class with this neck circuit. We lay down and lift our head off the ground and look left 10 times, right ten times, up, and down, then ladder all the way down to zero. Idk if it’s legit or not but my neck does get tired from it.

Hope it gets better, and my doc said mines not the end of the world and to keep at it if I want to, so that was reassuring

3. biscuitsbrah Red Belt

A good chiro + a strengthening routine is key imo.

I only train nogi and I tap super early to darces and anacondas.

4. winterbike Green Belt

I've made a switch from mostly no gi to mostly gi over the years and my neck and upper back feel 100% better from it. Not fighting head and arm chokes and guillotines all the time is great. I know some guys say they don't get hurt as much in no gi, but my experience has been the complete opposite.

5. thugpoet The Dredd Wolf

Training to hard. Flowwww rolllll.

6. kenpeters8 Banned Banned

Engage in more leg locks then.

7. Adjaar White Belt

Can you think of any techniques that might cause it? I know a guy who messed up his neck real bad as a white belt because he didnt know how to deal with a can opener. Any neck cranking choke could be causing it, like anything involving head and arm like darce, anaconda, arm triangle, etc. If you have a rough training partner that doesnt have those techniques down pat, they could very easily aggravate it.

I also agree about seeing a chiropractor

8. mataleaos Brown Belt

Are you getting put in a lot of guillotines or other head and arm chokes? Are you getting twister’d or can opener’d ?

Can we get some more info?

This right here.

IMO the whole “I only tap to the cleanest chokes” mantra should be thrown out the window if you want to train for as many years as possible. I wish I’d been this way sooner.

Neck damage is cumulative. You don’t have to insta-tap to guillotines, neckties, darces, marces, anacondas, side chokes, and other head and arms, but I think it’s a bad idea to ride them out regularly if you aren’t getting paid for it.

9. mataleaos Brown Belt

Perfect example of why listening to your body is more important than any dogma. I’m in the opposite situation as you and I know that the whole “no-gi is easier on the body than yes-gi” thing is trendy right now. But everyone is different.

10. vcmmafan Black Belt

I see it more with heavy closed guard players who let themselves get stacked often. Not really a Gi / No Gi thing.

Or from getting neck cranked.

11. thugpoet The Dredd Wolf

All neck cranks get insta taps. But also can openers and the such are bs moves in practice. It's like putting a knee it a your partners neck. Sure you can do it but why risk hurting someone who you are training with?

12. mataleaos Brown Belt

I'd also argue it's not a very effective guard break. If someone had good distance management then clocking in hours to up your can opener percentage seems kind of silly to me.