Considering taking a fight.... Should I?

mechanikjoe

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
So I'm a college student, I've been training MMA for about a year and want to have my first fight. Problem is, it would be on May 2, which is a Friday. I have a final on April 29, April 30, no test on the Thursday that weighins would be on, and my Nutrition final on the Friday of the fight, from 3-5. Anyone that has fight experience, what would you recommend I do? Do you get super stressed day of the fight, enough to make your brain not function as well as you would otherwise? I really want to fight, but I also really want to make damn good grades. Ugh. The good thing is that I don't have any big tests on the Thursday, which is when I'd be cutting the last of the weight. Any suggestions?

Sorry that this is in conditioning, wasn't sure where to post it?

No, give it a miss. You have too much going on there and the stress won't be good for your cardio, not too mention other things. It's up to you but I think you shouldn't fight. Exams are important.

Academics are way too important to fuck them up for a fight.

Skip it, school is important and fighting shouldn't be taken lightly.

Unless this is just a step in the ring and do it, don't care if you lose and won't do it again type thing, I would not recommend it (I wouldn't recommend it even if it was). If you have to make weight, that last week is going to be torture, your exams are way to important to miss for something you're doing for fun.

As was already said, the whole experience of fighting is very draining, no matter how calm you may be, you may experience a lot of things, such as lack of concentration, trouble sleeping, the jitters. You don't need these during exam period, you also don't need the stress of exams right before you fight.

In short, don't take the fight, it won't be your only oppurtunity, and good luck on your exams.

pass on this fight ther will always be anouther you will end up focousing on your fight to much and failing your tests or the outher way around and your head wont be in the fight

Nowadays it seems like a person can drive a max. of 6 hours and get a fight anywhere every week. If you're stupid, you'll take the fight, if you care about your academics which is your real future, Chucky Liddell, you'll stay in school.

I have to agree that getting ready for a fight is very mentally and emotionally draining. If you have anything else in your life that requires a lot of concentration then it is best to put the fight off, there will always be another one.

I mean it looks like you go to A&M or UTEP, so it can't be that hard. All kidding aside (I'm going to Texas A&M for my masters next year), I tried to do this once with a taekwondo tournament, and tkd is not exactly as taxing as MMA. Needless to say, last second cutting didnt' help my midterms and midterms didn't halp my performance in the tourney, so I'd probably advise not fighting. There's always another tournament waiting,-

I mean it looks like you go to A&M or UTEP, so it can't be that hard. All kidding aside (I'm going to Texas A&M for my masters next year), I tried to do this once with a taekwondo tournament, and tkd is not exactly as taxing as MMA. Needless to say, last second cutting didnt' help my midterms and midterms didn't halp my performance in the tourney, so I'd probably advise not fighting. There's always another tournament waiting,-

Haha, A&M actually.

Thanks for all of the advice everyone... I've never competed in any sort of combat sports before, so I don't know the stresses involved with the actual fight and the cutting of the weight, so thank you all for filling me in. I probably will end up passing on this then, there will always be another fight.

cutting weight sucks. And it seems that a lot of fighters now a days are cutting an average of 10-15 lbs for the smaller guys, and even more for the heavyweights. The most i've ever cut is 5 lbs for highschool wrestling and judo, and still made me feel like shit. Definitely not how you want to feel during exams. Good luck on 'em.

Agreed. I've been through undergrad (now in grad school) and know how taxing school alone can be, especially if you have a job and train.

I've also screwed up a day of finals because I had too much going on (not partying). Not worth it. Your education is too important and you don't want to jeaopordize an opportunity (scholarship, GPA, etc.).

Then again, if you have your stuff together and aren't concerned about dropping from a 3.5 to a 3.4 (or whatever) then go for it. Those little academic blemishes can be overlooked and wash out in the end. Use your judgement. If GPA or academic standing is critical to your program or an opportunity then you shouldn't feel like a coward for waiting for another opportunity. You would be crazy to risk it (cost benefit analysis if you are a business major....).

Not the right context for a first fight. I'm gonna have one in the middle of my exams, but this will not e my first and I know that I'm a pretty calm fighter.

Back