Considering BJJ

Afflictionz

White Belt
Reaction score
I've been doing Judo for about 8 months now and I've enjoyed it a lot, Now I know that Gi's are an expensive thing; a couple of Adidas J800's cost me

Decent gi, but overpriced. You can get a decent BJJ gi for around $100

You can grab a Fuji for 70 GBP
http://www.grapplestore.co.uk/fuji-all-around-bjj-gi-white/
And Fuji is an oft recommended brand here.

That being said, your Judo gi would be fine to start with (though the cut makes it easier for your training partners to get grips and secure gi chokes).

Also maybe check out;
http://www.made4fighters.com/en/sto...su/gis/#brands=0&price=153&min=0&max=153&pn=1 ?

I don't know either store, so I can't comment on what they're like to deal with.

Hope that helps.

Check out Gracie Barra Birmingham. It's Braulio Estima's school. You won't find a better place to train or an instructor even close in the area. Not sure if Braulio enforces the GB gi rule, if so then that's what you'd have to wear. If not, several companies make heavier gis. You can check out www.rollwithroots.com Fuji Atama or Mizuno

the hayabusa gi? ugh. there's 3 guys at my club that have them. of the 3, 2 of them hate it, and the other one has .. interesting taste.

If it's *really* want you want, then it's an alright gi, but it is very overpriced for what it is.

Since you're listing prices in

No need to assume I'm from the UK as I stated it "Birmingham, England".

Knobishness aside, I've gathered enough to know its not a good Gi from the comments above, So I'll look to another brand... Fuji perhaps.
It's easy for someone to like something that they consider good looking, the Reason I looked at that is I've got 3 Hayabusa rashguards and I thought they were great for what they did, not that I'm an expert. So I found it under recommended and had a look, J800's were recommended.

Thank you!

Last edited:
would definitely recommend going to Gracie Barra B'ham, as aforementioned it is ran by Braulio and has a wealth of experienced guys there.

As for the Hayabusa gi's I know four people who use them, two people wear them quite regularly, another has stopped wearing it in favour of a Storm Kimono and the last person wore it a few times and then sold it on because they didn't like it.

I would recommend checking out Tatami also, I have had two of their gi's and both have been excellent. The Estilo is a great all round gi. The wave is also a brilliant gi and I would have this any day over a Hayabusa gi. A lot of people say good things about Fuji so worth checking them out, Atama and Koral are both staple brands. Also check out Grapplers Delight for more particular brands.

If you ever plan on competing the Hayabusa is not a good choice since it is a ripstop top which is illegal in the bigger competitions.

Since you live in the UK I would look at Tatami or Strike Fightwear. Although if you do end up joining a Gracie Barra gym you might just want to wait til you get to your gym so you can buy it through them.

Can someone tell me what I'm going to have to pay in "tuition fee's"?

What kind of price per session does Estima's gym charge.

I am not 100% sure exactly how much they charge but they will no doubt have different packages based on how often you planned to train. While I trained at Gracie Barra Preston I paid

Sounds like by your measurements you're a tall, lanky guy. I'm 6'2", 185 and I find that the Predator brand gi's fit me well as I have long arms and legs (some training mates have complained that the sleeves and pants are too long for them when they have the right fit on the body). I picked up a Basico model for just under $100 USD out-the-door and I love the thing; it's a gold weave and has zero patches, so I can get away with using it in judo too if I'm behind on laundry haha. I use an A3 that I shrunk just a touch in the dryer and the fit is fantastic.
http://www.black-eagle.co.uk/basicowhitegoldweavebjjgi-p-3357.html

Sounds like by your measurements you're a tall, lanky guy. I'm 6'2", 185 and I find that the Predator brand gi's fit me well as I have long arms and legs (some training mates have complained that the sleeves and pants are too long for them when they have the right fit on the body). I picked up a Basico model for just under $100 USD out-the-door and I love the thing; it's a gold weave and has zero patches, so I can get away with using it in judo too if I'm behind on laundry haha. I use an A3 that I shrunk just a touch in the dryer and the fit is fantastic.
http://www.black-eagle.co.uk/basicowhitegoldweavebjjgi-p-3357.html
I'm actually quite a bulky build, broad shoulders from playing rugby. I also only line dry/cold wash for no shrinkage, I wash 5 times on purchase twice with softener for the double weave. I tend to try and prevent shrinking them because most of the process is out of my hands.

Is it possible to provide me with a link to the gi you mentioned.

I'm actually quite a bulky build, broad shoulders from playing rugby. I also only line dry/cold wash for no shrinkage, I wash 5 times on purchase twice with softener for the double weave. I tend to try and prevent shrinking them because most of the process is out of my hands.

Is it possible to provide me with a link to the gi you mentioned.

Yeah, I've got broad shoulders too (I wear either a 42 or 44 in a suit depending on the cut). When I think "bulky" in terms of grapplers, I tend to think your height but with about 250 pounds haha. Anyway, I tend to wash in warm water and only put my BJJ gi's in the dryer for short periods until I get the fit I like, then I just line dry from then on out. Tangentially, for my double weave judogis on the other hand, I buy a half to full size larger and maximally shrink it so that I can put in the dryer every time (the lapels never line dry out thoroughly enough for me). Shrink to fit isn't for everybody, but it's what I'm used to since gi's used to be not preshrunk and I used to live in a cold, wet climate where my gi's could never air dry completely.

Anyway, I personally would advise against using fabric softener for your gi's; it'll build up in the fibers after repeated use and will eventually make your gi's feel slimy when you start sweating in them.

And yes, I provided a link to the gi in my previous post. :)

Thanks for the link.

I only use Fabric softener twice over the Gi's lifetime, I don't use it every time I wash.

Just as a Side not I found that Adidas make BJJ gi's as well. Has anyone had any
experience with Adidas BJJ Gi's?

I have a video review coming up of one of the best budget gis in the world.

Where do you live? It may restrict who I can recommend for you to shop with :)

Personal defense or... you want to compete?

Thanks for the link.

I only use Fabric softener twice over the Gi's lifetime, I don't use it every time I wash.

Just as a Side not I found that Adidas make BJJ gi's as well. Has anyone had any
experience with Adidas BJJ Gi's?

No personal experience with them, but I hear that they shrink really badly and just keep shrinking and shrinking with every wash.

Back