Conservative student president commits suicide following protest against drag queens on tax dollars

Sigh. For consistency, all the usual suspects ought to be in here telling us all about how the guy must have been mental to begin with and if not over this incident, he would have suicided over something else eventually anyway.

Not that I agree, but their absence is notable.

If you kill yourself, you are likely suffering from mental illness. Mental illness can come from trauma and isn't necessarily inherent in a person. The decision to end your own life (outside of medical reasons, like impending death from advance stage cancer), is not a decision made by someone with a healthy mind.

I don't know the extent of the harassment he may have received, but it's possible that it was severe enough to be considered traumatic, which altered his mental state significantly enough that it may be the reason he killed himself. Mental illness that comes from trauma can be temporary, but in some unfortunate cases, people suffering may make that permanent decision in that temporary frame of mind.

I can't say for certain that he would have eventually killed himself. It's silly to speculate because these decisions are irrational. We don't know if he had a history of mental illness, either anecdotally or with documentation. What we do know is that suicide (in these contexts) are indicative of mental illness.

In the legal system, you can argue that a defendant committed a crime in a state of "temporary insanity", and I'm sure if I dug into it, it would have merit from psychologists and the psychiatric field at large. Which basically means that under extreme duress, it is possible that you lose the ability to understand right and wrong, or logical reasoning altogether. In that state, you may decide to kill yourself. Or someone else. You do not, in the moment, understand that your decision is not the correct one. And it can and does end in tragedy.

So whether this young man has a history of mental illness, or simply lost his ability to reason and lost his ability to resist the urge to end his own life, he was ill. Maybe it was temporary, under duress from attacks for his participation in the protest. But ill nonetheless.

If you kill yourself, you are likely suffering from mental illness. Mental illness can come from trauma and isn't necessarily inherent in a person. The decision to end your own life (outside of medical reasons, like impending death from advance stage cancer), is not a decision made by someone with a healthy mind.

I don't know the extent of the harassment he may have received, but it's possible that it was severe enough to be considered traumatic, which altered his mental state significantly enough that it may be the reason he killed himself. Mental illness that comes from trauma can be temporary, but in some unfortunate cases, people suffering may make that permanent decision in that temporary frame of mind.

I can't say for certain that he would have eventually killed himself. It's silly to speculate because these decisions are irrational. We don't know if he had a history of mental illness, either anecdotally or with documentation. What we do know is that suicide (in these contexts) are indicative of mental illness.

In the legal system, you can argue that a defendant committed a crime in a state of "temporary insanity", and I'm sure if I dug into it, it would have merit from psychologists and the psychiatric field at large. Which basically means that under extreme duress, it is possible that you lose the ability to understand right and wrong, or logical reasoning altogether. In that state, you may decide to kill yourself. Or someone else. You do not, in the moment, understand that your decision is not the correct one. And it can and does end in tragedy.

So whether this young man has a history of mental illness, or simply lost his ability to reason and lost his ability to resist the urge to end his own life, he was ill. Maybe it was temporary, under duress from attacks for his participation in the protest. But ill nonetheless.
I hope it was evident from my post that I agree with this already.

"I think today is a day to think about a bit of compassion and respect for people."

but nah, let's warroom this thing, and use his death to push our politics.
You now death is the consistency of life, right?

I'll just +1 to the people asking why drag queens are reading stories to children. What is the point?

Drags are just cross dressers though? Unless you think it's just a step towards that. It's all just a bit absurd

yeah, try to use logic into the minds of the illogical. that'll work. /s

edit: you know these aren't really drag queens, right? like, since when did actual drag queens want to be around/flash children?

if anything, drag queens/transvestites got screwed over with the whole transgender bullshit being promoted.

Last edited:
it's "empowering" to convince children to take hormones and mutilate their genitals.
Drags are just cross dressers though? Unless you think it's just a step towards that. It's all just a bit absurd

yeah, try to use logic into the minds of the illogical. that'll work. /s

edit: you know these aren't really drag queens, right? like, since when did actual drag queens want to be around/flash children?

if anything, drag queens/transvestites got screwed over with the whole transgender bullshit being promoted.

http://www.dragqueenstoryhour.org

Drag Queen Story Hour (DQSH) captures the imagination and play of the gender fluidity of childhood and gives kids glamorous, positive, and unabashedly queer role models. In spaces like this, kids are able to see people who defy rigid gender restrictions and imagine a world where people can present as they wish, where dress up is real.

On the list of shit that taxpayer money is spent on that bothers me this would be near the end. Everybody has their hot bottoms I guess.
Really? What's at the top of this list of yours? I'm assuming if this was tax payer funded it would be a local council thing, can you imagine if Drag Queen story hour was federally funded. If I lived locally and even a cent of my money went to Drag Queen story hour it would be a bigger rip off than the one Madoff pulled.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-01-13/liberal-national-club-president-wilson-gavin-dies/11863096

Some background:
"Liberal National" refers to the conservative parties in Australia. Liberal does not mean the liberal of the US. Additionally, while it refers to these parties, the student club was disendorsed by those same parties in December last year.

The gathering were protesting drag queens reading to children in a tax payer funded library (I believe, on tax payer funds as well). While we do not know why he took his life, the protest occurred in the last 24-48 hours and was met with widespread condemnation and a hate campaign against him on social media.

Ironically, the 21 year old man that committed suicide was openly gay.

Liberal National Club president Wilson Gavin dies after protesting against drag queens at Brisbane library

The head of a university Liberal National Club that surrounded and shouted at drag queens reading to children in a Brisbane City Council Library has died.

UQ Liberal National Club president Wilson Gavin was one of a group of people who stormed the Drag Queen Storytime event.

The ABC understands he took his own life this morning.

In video of the protest posted on social media, Mr Gavin could be seen shouting "drag queens are not for kids".

The actions of the UQ Liberal National Club (UQLNC) were swiftly condemned on social media by fellow students, advocates and federal MPs — its Facebook page has received a barrage of comments.

The Liberal National Party distanced itself from the UQLNC, which was disaffiliated in December.

In a press conference earlier today, Queensland Opposition Leader Deb Frecklington said she would not comment on the reports of Mr Gavin's death.

"In relation to the unconfirmed reports relating to a young man, out of respect for the family I won't be making any comments on this matter," she said.

"I think today is a day to think about a bit of compassion and respect for people."

The storytelling event was organised by Rainbow Families Queensland who released a statement saying they were "deeply saddened" by the news.

"he is not gay if he don't support trans" - DNC

PS liberal and conservative the words themselves mean the same thing although what it is is actually dependent on the country.

I don't understand the issue, kids dress up on halloween. Should we ban halloween? Let them teach whatever they want.
The left already fly into mob outrage every halloween if the wrong race wears the wrong costume, so that was a stupid example in several ways. A white girl dressed as Moana for halloween is cultural appropriation, but a man dressed as a prostitute on a random Thursday is awesome and they should totally flash their junk to kids.

Last edited:
Really? What's at the top of this list of yours? I'm assuming if this was tax payer funded it would be a local council thing, can you imagine if Drag Queen story hour was federally funded. If I lived locally and even a cent of my money went to Drag Queen story hour it would be a bigger rip off than the one Madoff pulled.

My town in the US just paid tens of thousands of dollars to install electric car chargers so government employees can charge their cars for free. They also bought a Tesla police car that they can’t use becaus it runs out of charge too quickly. They paid to “beautify” a community pool that is rarely open because there are not funds for staffing it instead of paying for increased staffing. The list goes on.

Does anybody actually know why this kid committed suicide? It seems a bit presumptuous to say that it was due to the protest he attended several days earlier or the aftermath. Is it possible that his boyfriend broke up with him? The death of someone close to him? Or is that he simply suffered from depression? Even if something happened due to the protest he had to have already been suicidal and dealing with serious mental health issues for this to have happened.

I’m having a hard time connecting the dots that have been connected for us. This story seems to be presented as a political story when it’s likely not at all.

My town in the US just paid tens of thousands of dollars to install electric car chargers so government employees can charge their cars for free. They also bought a Tesla police car that they can’t use becaus it runs out of charge too quickly. They paid to “beautify” a community pool that is rarely open because there are not funds for staffing it instead of paying for increased staffing. The list goes on.
Least the upside of that is you'll be able to get away from the cops if you decide to start a life of crime. Not going to lie I laughed about the pool one, that's bureaucracy at it's finest.

That says more about you than him.

@Sketch
Was possible harm could could come to my son by having a guy in drag read his class a children's story ?

Compare that to a CT nutter , the modern equivalent of a guy on a bike covered in " THE end is NEAR " signs ,

What is the purpose of these drag queen sessions? Does anyone have an official explanation?

According to Wikipedia, the creator claims the purpose is to “inspire a love of reading, while teaching deeper lessons on diversity, self-love and an appreciation of others.”

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drag_Queen_Story_Hour

So nothing to worry about, just your typical gay burlesque act teaching children deeply about self-love... or is that giving children deep self-love lessons?

Man, wait till the right wing hears about the furries that perform in Disneyland...

Back