Violence/Genocide: Do not condone violence or genocide on a person or group of people. You are free to attack a person or groups ideas but you are crossing the line when calling for violence. This will be heavily enforced in threads with breaking news involving victims.

Conservative student president commits suicide following protest against drag queens on tax dollars

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by Neph, Jan 13, 2020.

1. Neph Brown Belt

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-01-13/liberal-national-club-president-wilson-gavin-dies/11863096

Some background:
    "Liberal National" refers to the conservative parties in Australia. Liberal does not mean the liberal of the US. Additionally, while it refers to these parties, the student club was disendorsed by those same parties in December last year.

The gathering were protesting drag queens reading to children in a tax payer funded library (I believe, on tax payer funds as well). While we do not know why he took his life, the protest occurred in the last 24-48 hours and was met with widespread condemnation and a hate campaign against him on social media.

Ironically, the 21 year old man that committed suicide was openly gay.

Liberal National Club president Wilson Gavin dies after protesting against drag queens at Brisbane library

The head of a university Liberal National Club that surrounded and shouted at drag queens reading to children in a Brisbane City Council Library has died.

UQ Liberal National Club president Wilson Gavin was one of a group of people who stormed the Drag Queen Storytime event.

The ABC understands he took his own life this morning.

In video of the protest posted on social media, Mr Gavin could be seen shouting "drag queens are not for kids".

The actions of the UQ Liberal National Club (UQLNC) were swiftly condemned on social media by fellow students, advocates and federal MPs — its Facebook page has received a barrage of comments.

The Liberal National Party distanced itself from the UQLNC, which was disaffiliated in December.

In a press conference earlier today, Queensland Opposition Leader Deb Frecklington said she would not comment on the reports of Mr Gavin's death.

"In relation to the unconfirmed reports relating to a young man, out of respect for the family I won't be making any comments on this matter," she said.

"I think today is a day to think about a bit of compassion and respect for people."

The storytelling event was organised by Rainbow Families Queensland who released a statement saying they were "deeply saddened" by the news.

2. Neph Brown Belt

I believe he stepped in front of a train.

3. Limit Smasher Brown Belt

A friend of mines Aunt jumped in front of a train as it came to a stop at a station a few years ago. Seems like an unusually gruesome and painful way to die. When a Metro train is coming to stop at a station, it's not actually moving that fast, so the impact wouldn't cause death. You'd be trapped underneath and brutally crushed and cut into pieces.

Anyway, sorry for that kids family.

4. Starck Black Belt

teachable moment regarding modern Western culture

5. MVelsor ~ Work of the Gods ~ Banned

Ironically? Not really.

Drag Queens are NOT for kids. Period.

6. Neph Brown Belt

The guy that was protesting the drag queens was gay, and was chased by the LGBTQI-etc. crowd for it.

Also chased by a lot more than that

7. Billy no mates The Pub bore .

Our lives are piss easy relatively speaking , and yet we still manage to fuck them up over nothing .

8. spin Gold Belt

"I think today is a day to think about a bit of compassion and respect for people."

but nah, let's warroom this thing, and use his death to push our politics.

9. MVelsor ~ Work of the Gods ~ Banned

I understand, so am I.

I don't know a single other bro either IRL nor any virtual community that supports Drag Queen Story Hour - nevermind on tax dollars - and it's really not even a topic of conversation tbh. The LGBTQ+ is more of a political apparatus than anything. It's entirely unsurprising that they would go after him, especially being the President of a conservative student club.

This is sad, and was undoubtedly needless. RIP.

10. ocean size Red Belt

Poor confused fucker.

11. LetThemBleed Red Belt

I've got nothing against Drag Queens doing their story thing for people who want to attend, ideally somewhere in a private residence with any costs being independently financed, but seriously if it was paid for by the taxpayer then yeah absolutely fuck that shit.

12. MVelsor ~ Work of the Gods ~ Banned

13. Neph Brown Belt

Yep she's disgusting.

14. woodguyatl Brown Belt

I dont know anybody IRL who care about Drag Queen Story Hours at all.

15. LetThemBleed Red Belt

Obviously the people in attendance who exposed their kids to drag queen story hour care somewhat. If it actually was a tax payer funded initiative a shit load of people should care I imo.

16. nac386 Steel Belt

Does anybody actually know why this kid committed suicide? It seems a bit presumptuous to say that it was due to the protest he attended several days earlier or the aftermath. Is it possible that his boyfriend broke up with him? The death of someone close to him? Or is that he simply suffered from depression? Even if something happened due to the protest he had to have already been suicidal and dealing with serious mental health issues for this to have happened.

I’m having a hard time connecting the dots that have been connected for us. This story seems to be presented as a political story when it’s likely not at all.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
  17. nostradumbass Steel Belt

While I doubt it was entirely because of the outrage mob attacking him, the internet and outrage mobs are a nice reminder that people are just monkeys and aren't cordial out of decency or principle and will gladly go full angry chimp as soon as they think they're anonymous or have a mob behind them.

Opposing drag queen story time is just common sense. Nobody would support kids' field trips to any other burlesque show with actual women, but somehow it's a worthy use of taxpayer money as long as it's men dressing like female prostitutes to hang out with young kids. It was never about "protecting gays", since they'll gladly gang up and relentlessly attack gay people as well if they get in the way of their agenda.

18. Neph Brown Belt

It's unknown at this stage.

However, the protest carried an enormous amount of negative media and social media attention, and it happened on Sunday, with him taking his life the very next day on a Monday morning. I think there's a very reasonable belief that these events are connected.

19. Amerikuracana Plutonium Belt

Well he was gay, so 30 years ago he was officially already mentally ill.. Not now though. Who knows. Keep drag queens away from kids, however.

20. TheGreatA Silver Belt

LGBT people got problems. Increased media attention over the past few years, isn't doing them any good.