Consensus on Sanshou?????

i know when you talk about San Da, you pretty have to talk about cung le, but just so you guys know, Cung was doing TKD before he did san da. There are a lot of ignorant "martial artists" out there, who are more than willing to sit in the bottom of the well, and think what he does is king shit and everything else is an waterdown art. don't be one of them.

I find San Shou to be quite entertaining (from what I've seen). I'm from Sac and I've been a big fan of all Northern California Martial Artists/Camps since I started training in the late 90's (that's when all of those Strikforce Muay Thai/San Shou cards were broadcast on ESPN). I like San Shou and I've been a big fan of Cung Le's for some time, but there's like zero exposure for San Shou. It's enough work to get to see a K-1 Max or a random Lumpinee fight here and there, but I can't recall ever seeing any type of San Shou other than Cung Le tooling some random guy.

So I just don't get the TS's question, how can San Shou be the next big thing when barely anyone has even seen it, let alone know where to train it. I think Muay Thai is FAR more popular than San Shou and you see the following (or lack thereof) that Muay Thai has in the US.

but I can't recall ever seeing any type of San Shou other than Cung Le tooling some random guy.

So I just don't get the TS's question, how can San Shou be the next big thing when barely anyone has even seen it, let alone know where to train it. I think Muay Thai is FAR more popular than San Shou and you see the following (or lack thereof) that Muay Thai has in the US.

There's some stuff on Liu Hai Long, another Sanshou champ in China doing kickboxing and beating random people up.

Sanshou's not going to be the next thing in America because there's just not enough people to teach it - end of story. Though maybe in Art of War or Asian MMA promotions, that should be interesting .

At the end of the day everything has to be adapted. Have you guys watched MT in Thailand? It doesn't really look like kickboxing, K-1, or MMA at all. Similarly, boxing doesn't really look like MMA fist striking.

The point is it's not realy a valid arguement to say "O XYZ (in this case Sanshou) might not be relevant because it's a sport and its rules are different".

Really in the end, it's my opinion there are just a couple key factors that dictate whether a sport/art trains k-1/mma strikers
- full contact to strikes to both head and body
- cardiovascular fitness as an athlete

seems like the consensus is that it has potential, but will need to be tweaked a bit just like every other fighting style in MMA.

i'm a muay thai fighter...was supposed to have my ring fight last month in Vancouver but they couldnt find anyone in time....but being from where i am...i tottaly respect San Shou....there throws are badass....i'm pritty sound in the clinch with knees and elbows...but i'd admit it now....i'd love to learn some tosses

Back