Conor's knee injury

Gas tank of a 90 year old chain smoker that beat a triathlete in a 5 round fight.

Right and he was fuckin blowing out his arse mate.

He didn't beat him in a triathalon did he.

That's really your reasoning? That he beat him so therefore his gas tank isn't a joke? Yeah he beat him and he hung on for dear life because he was that tired.

What are you, retarded or something?

He was physically exhausted before the 10 minute mark.

I've never seen anyone speculate about his roadwork on here, never mind knowing of a source confirming it, but I've speculated about it with friends in private. Most of the cardio you'll see him doing is on a bike of some type and his cardio looked considerably better in his 3 rounds against Holloway(where he tore his ACL) than it has since. I remember before the third round he was saying "I feel great" or something to that effect in his corner, despite setting a very high pace and beating Holloway up for the first half of the fight.

his cardio has only looked bad at 170lbs....never below that...he fought max at 145lbs....

Fact: conor beat nate in a 5 round war...so his haters can talk all they want about how "bad" is cardio is, yet if it's so bad, how did he beat a triathlete in a 5 round war?
You are aware that his cardio isn't what won him that fight, right?

Pretty well known fact that road work puts a lot of strain on the knees. Riding a bike, swimming, running on a treadmill are all better options when taking career longevity into consideration. Not even factoring in his previous injury, which is well known. As for a link: commonfuckingsense.org
Wouldn't running on a treadmill be the same, as long as you aren't doing roadwork on concrete? I don't know much about swimming, but riding a bike doesn't do a whole lot for your cardio when compared to running. It's good for regular people trying to get in shape but I don't think it's enough for getting into fight shape

Right and he was fuckin blowing out his arse mate.

He didn't beat him in a triathalon did he.

That's really your reasoning? That he beat him so therefore his gas tank isn't a joke? Yeah he beat him and he hung on for dear life because he was that tired.

What are you, retarded or something?

He was physically exhausted before the 10 minute mark.

Calling me retarded when you simply can't face facts...I'm not stating an opinion....fact:::he beat nate in a 5 round fight...he was winning the 5th round, till nate got the takedown...conor won the vast majority of the fight...conor landed all the signifcant strikes in the fight....so keep showing how stupid you are....Oh ya, his cardio is soooo bad. yet he won....hahahahahaahahaha

Wouldn't running on a treadmill be the same, as long as you aren't doing roadwork on concrete? I don't know much about swimming, but riding a bike doesn't do a whole lot for your cardio when compared to running. It's good for regular people trying to get in shape but I don't think it's enough for getting into fight shape
Not trying to be a dick (for once) but wouldn't all road work be on some sort of hard surface? Most of what I was saying was referring to impact and effects on the joints. In the link I posted, it makes the point that since your legs don't fully extend on the bike, it lessens the chance of injury. It also states that since biking is less taxing than running, you can do more of it. Comparable results with a 1:3 run to bike ratio.

His knees can't be that bad. You seen that guy's quads lately? he's been putting in some work. I think he's just not built for great cardio.
I think Conor does a lot of training with the intent of looking good instead of just being functional for fighting too. I bet if he lost some of the beach muscles his stamina would improve

Calling me retarded when you simply can't face facts...I'm not stating an opinion....fact:::he beat nate in a 5 round fight...he was winning the 5th round, till nate got the takedown...conor won the vast majority of the fight...conor landed all the signifcant strikes in the fight....so keep showing how stupid you are....Oh ya, his cardio is soooo bad. yet he won....hahahahahaahahaha

I can't really judge if you're serious or just have an IQ of 7.

The fact he won the fight means what to his cardio?

He was exhausted in the fight. He got a second wind and used his fighting skills to win, not his cardio moron.

You are telling me that it's common sense that riding a bike is better for cardio than running?

Wait, what?

Running isn't efficient?

Is this normal in MMA do fighters not do roadwork or is this just a conor thing?
It comes down to a number of things. MMA fighters come from all sorts countries, levels of education, and socioeconomic status. Some have that old school mentality and stick with what works for them. Others try to improve and implement new techniques/types of training. It's not broscience when you have the MMA performance institute using DEXA machines to determine body composition, VO2 max tests to determine maximal oxygen uptake, plus countless more. The research pointing towards HIIT vs. MIIT is there. It pushes you harder and you save time allowing you to focus on other parts of your game (the fighting).

Running is great but doing it for two hours at a continuous pace isn't as efficient as increasing the intensity in shorter bursts. It's how Conor changed for the Nate 2 fight - he brought in a medical doctor that also has a PhD in sports science (working out of a uni in ireland) to help with conor's cardio. One issue for Conor is new training requires you to adapt and trust your body will recover (hence why between rounds Kavanagh was saying "you've been here trust the process").

Having the funds that Conor does allows him to assess all of these extras. it's a lot better comparing you maximal oxygen uptake using a gold standard fitness measure vs. "oh i ran 1km more today woohoo". Not everyone has access to this technology but it's what is used in the best performance labs across the globe.

It could also come down to person preference. Some fighters could just prefer to get outside and escape it all and run for a few hours.

Fact: conor beat nate in a 5 round war...so his haters can talk all they want about how "bad" is cardio is, yet if it's so bad, how did he beat a triathlete in a 5 round war?

Fact: Nate also gassed out. That is how Conor beat him. Conor has gassed out in 4 of his last 6 fights but yeah it is still a myth for his nuthuggers. Worst cardio at LW and it will be proven yet again.

He was exhausted in the fight. He got a second wind and used his fighting skills to win, not his cardio moron.

Conor fans aren't too bright. Its like nobody in the history of mma has won while gassed.

I suspect most mma fighters aren’t doing much road work, not on top of all their other training.

When your sport is punching an opponent above the waist with your fists then adding in running training will often be fine and not needlessly deplete your recovery capacity.

When it involves a whole lot more than that then spending a bunch of time and energy jogging is a bit of a waste.

I got my resting (sleeping) heart rate to 38 on my Fitbit Alta by simply walking the dog for hours every day. LISS (low intensity steady state) cardio doesn’t have to be intense almost as a rule.

Running is more energy efficient than walking (you’ll use the elasticity of your joints and muscles) to bounce along, which is great for getting from A to B quickly but not actually what you want to be training (which is your heart and lungs) when doing cardio. Walking, stationary bike, rowing machine, all will cause less joint damage/inflammation/wear and tear than running.

What the fuck is that other than some dude's opinion?

Running is better for fighting that is clear.

But that's not even what I'm arguing anyway.

I'm trying to offer a possible reason as to why Conor's gas tank is as woeful as it is.
And you are saying that if he simply ran more, he would somehow be a better fighter? Know anything about fast and low twitch muscle fibers? Do you agree that too much cardio has a negative effect on muscle mass? Is there a point of diminishing returns in your eyes? If not, I won't waste my time. All fighters are different. Diego Sanchez has great cardio. 19 of his 38 fights also went to decision. Why can't Diego finish fights would be an equal and opposite critique. McG has 24 fights and only 2 of them made it out of the second round. He won both of those decisions too (Max Halloway with a fucked up knee and Nate in the rematch). You're reaching and it's obvious.

Last edited:
Not trying to be a dick (for once) but wouldn't all road work be on some sort of hard surface? Most of what I was saying was referring to impact and effects on the joints. In the link I posted, it makes the point that since your legs don't fully extend on the bike, it lessens the chance of injury. It also states that since biking is less taxing than running, you can do more of it. Comparable results with a 1:3 run to bike ratio.
The name itself implies that you're running on an actual paved road of some sort but I always thought of road work as just being jogging. I figure jogging on an unpaved road or soft track, or Beach would actually be better on your knees than a treadmill. As for biking, I've done it and it's a good workout in a different way but I don't think it compares to running. It fatigues your leg muscles more so than it works your actual cardiovascular system, so I think it's better for muscle endurance than cardio

Fact: Nate also gassed out. That is how Conor beat him. Conor has gassed out in 4 of his last 6 fights but yeah it is still a myth for his nuthuggers. Worst cardio at LW and it will be proven yet again.

Gassed out 4 of his last 6 fights? haha which fights you talking about? oh, the boxing match has no bearing on mma...he gassed in the 1st diaz fight...and he got tired in the 2nd diaz fight, to a point. But he never got to the totally gassed level and was able to maintain a degree of intensity. I'd love to know what fights he gassed in...specifically, under 170lb fights....he's never gassed under 170...never...

Again, the point of him being able to go all 5 rounds, shows he doesn't have bad cardio...and fact is, nate also got tired...which many conor haters seem to over look. "he got his 2nd win" so you're saying he didn't gas now? haha Make up your mind...

Apparently that's the reason he does no roadwork. Is this true? I've never heard this before.

Is there any evidence of this or is this just an excuse to justify why Conor has a worse gas tank than a 90 year old chain smoker?

i don't know whether it makes a difference to his cardio whether he's running, swimming, cycling or the like but he's said before that he avoids extended running to save his knees
http://www.stickybottle.com/coachin...hy-cycling-beats-running-for-cardio-training/
“We do a specific heart rate at a specific wattage. For endurance it’s good because you’re not pounding the roads,” McGregor, who has had knee injuries in the past, said of cycling.
“If I was to run; you’re pounding the roads and it’s not good for the body.
“So I do the sprints on the treadmill and on the rowing machine. And then I do my endurance on the bike.”
McGregor added the ride seen in the first clip below was not an intense effort because he was now so close to his fight.
“That’s the last of my cardio training now so I’m very happy with it. It’s just a cruise; you flush out the legs and get a bit of endurance work.

I see him running on that treadmill just fine....

don't think it's meant to be a catastrophic injury that would prevent running altogether, he just avoids/avoided doing it for distances

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back