Conors a beast and Im a fan but he's not ready for Aldo

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by masterless, Jan 19, 2015.

1. masterless

masterless Sherdog Veteran

McGregor is fascinating to watch, fights like a future champ, and I feel he does "deserve" a title shot but Aldo is just too good at this point.

Aldo is still in his prime and we haven't seen how McGregor handles championship rounds yet. I cant wait for this fight but I still see Aldo winning with devastating leg kicks that will slow down the phenom and add up bigtime in the later rounds.

Aldo via UD.

McGregor needs to face a LLamas or a Mendes in a 5 round war, win that, and then I can see him being able to take out the king.

2. Wrathsoul

Wrathsoul Purple Belt

Meh, strike while the iron is hot. If Conor lost to Lamas, Mendes, or Edgar (all real possibilities) then you'd kill off a new challenger for FW. He may lose, but everyone wants this fight at this point.

3. HeexX

HeexX Silver Belt

He should definitely face Aldo next. He's rightfully not even that big of an underdog. He can likely beat him. Conor is no joke. His game is crazy good.

4. surgeyou1

surgeyou1 Welcome to the Machida Era...Part Deux

He was ready when he debuted in 2013. Aldo isn't going to know what hit him.

5. PanikAnikPanik

PanikAnikPanik Purple Belt

Jones wasn't ready for Shogun
    Dillashaw wasn't ready for Barao
    Weidman wasn't ready for Silva

war McGregor

6. HeexX

HeexX Silver Belt

Jones was the favourite in that fight. Weidman wasn't a big underdog.
    You have a better case with Gus vs Jones. Dillashaw vs Barao is a perfect example though. Huge underdogs, largely counted out while dashingly pulling through.

Conor does not belong there though, he's not going to be counted out.

7. hoevan

hoevan Orange Belt

I think Aldo takes it too. If Conor shows a disreguard for his opponents skill set,like he has against everyone else, he's gonna get clipped. He always get's caught, not many times, but clean. He's got to keep hishands up and his chin tucked to win.

8. callofdutyNBA

callofdutyNBA Brown Belt

Naaaaaaaaaaaa McGregor beats Aldo IMO

9. CPH

CPH Let's party

I'm a big fan of both but I have to admit that some questions remain regarding Conor's overall abilities.

Yes, he's an amazing talent; fantastic ring vision, smart use of boxing, great athleticism and ability to keep the fight standing. And let's not forget: cunning. His talk and in ring antics isn't just hype or entertainment, it's a deliberate tactic that makes his opponents fight overly-aggressive, scared and all other sorts of stupid.

But how will he handle an opponent who is equally athletic and skill-wise, leagues ahead of guys like Holloway, Poirier, Siver, in every area of MMA? How will he deal with a steady barrage of fast, well-timed kicks? Can he stop Aldo's takedowns? What will he look like in the championship rounds against a fighter whom he can't dominate, hit at will?

10. riitzni

riitzni Silver Belt

Toluca Prison, hanging with the convicts and carvi
    I see no evidence of him being any less ready.

He's dodging a bullet not having to go through Frankie Edgar. Sooner rather than later that bullet is going to hit.

11. kurtwpg

kurtwpg Silver Belt

After he gets tooled they should put him in a co-main against Cub. That could be FOTY.

12. HeexX

HeexX Silver Belt

This is why this fight is so god damn intriguing. It's going to be huge.

13. Talon81

Talon81 Brown Belt

so you say Conor does not belong there because he isn't going to be counted out, yet at the same time discredit the comparison to Jones because Jones was a favorite? I'm confused. You seem to be arguing against yourself or have a very fine line of what you determine is comparable to Conor.

The point the guy was trying to make is that Jones, Weidman and Dillashaw were all relatively green guys compared to the champs. They were all prospects who shot to the top quickly and had lots of hype (less so with Dillashaw), but lots of people saying they weren't ready for a title shot. His comparison was very legit.

14. CPH

CPH Let's party

I can't think of a more exciting challenger: he is gold in interviews and press conferences, he has completely outclassed every guy he has been in the ring with ..and because he was fast-tracked to the title shot, seems to come out of nowhere/is still a mystery to most people. The ultimate wild card.

15. viper.

viper. Yellow Belt

I'd love to see Conor win, but i feel Aldo's leg kicks will be the deciding factor in this fight.

Conor's stance is susceptible to leg kicks, and Aldo has some of the fiercest in MMA.

16. MuayThaiBX

MuayThaiBX Black Belt

I agree. I think that Aldo will be able to land enough leg kicks to slow Conor's movement down quite a bit. Also intrigued by the fight as I do think McGregor is a fresh opponent in a division Aldo has pretty much cleared out. We've never seen Aldo deal with CM's style of straight punching and unorthodox kicks. However, I'm also sick of 80% of threads on this site being Conor related though. Last week in was all Jones threads. This week all Conor.

17. ThePewp

ThePewp Green Belt

This is kinda like if Brock had actually fought Fedor.

18. slowfro

slowfro Orange Belt

Aldo already beat the others you mentioned! McGregor is next in line. I definitely give him a decent chance.

19. mma midwest fan

mma midwest fan Purple Belt

Aldo by decision

20. MasterSeagal

MasterSeagal Brown Belt

It's gonna be Conor's strength vs the leg kicks and overall speed of Aldo.