Conor vs Nate was a classic case of a cherry pick gone wrong

But but but but but Conor stepped oop

Both Conor and UFC were counting on Nate having zero camp.

SICK
IN A BEACH

you can't compare that to people who had fighting camps.

Right and McGregor knew that. He specifically tracked each guy down and found out where they were at, what they were doing and how sick they were.

Fedor vs Maldonado is another good example.

Right and McGregor knew that. He specifically tracked each guy down and found out where they were at, what they were doing and how sick they were.
here's what happened though: Cerrone asked the UFC 'hey UFC, I'm ready to fight! I wanna fight mcgregor', while the UFC went after nate and nate was like 'you motherfuckers gonna have to give me a boat of money to get my ass off of cabo to fight conor'. and they dealt with it because that's the fight Conor pushed for. it doesn't matter who didn't know about this before, everyone knew what Nate's situation was once they phoned him to ask about a fight, and negotiations went on for at least 2 days. in the meantime, fighters kept calling for it. the UFC didn't go for the guys willing to step in because they were ready to go, but negotiated with an ill fighter on vacation.

here's what happened though: Cerrone asked the UFC 'hey UFC, I'm ready to fight! I wanna fight mcgregor', while the UFC went after nate and nate was like 'you motherfuckers gonna have to give me a boat of money to get my ass off of cabo to fight conor'. and they dealt with it because that's the fight Conor pushed for. it doesn't matter who didn't know about this before, everyone knew what Nate's situation was once they phoned him to ask about a fight, and negotiations went on for at least 2 days. in the meantime, fighters kept calling for it. the UFC didn't go for the guys willing to step in because they were ready to go, but negotiated with an ill fighter on vacation.

Right because Conor was able to identify immediately that Nate was extremely out of shape and sick so he didn't even need time to investigate the other guys.

You don't think the other guys would've asked for more money either? You think they would've jumped in there for pocket change? No, if they were picked, they would've begun negotiating more money too. But they weren't, so they kept begging.

The truth is, he saw that Nate had better recent performances and was a more marketable fight on top of that. The other guys begging for it after were just making noise.

Right because Conor was able to identify immediately that Nate was extremely out of shape and sick so he didn't even need time to investigate the other guys.

You don't think the other guys would've asked for more money either? You think they would've jumped in there for pocket change? No, if they were picked, they would've begun negotiating more money too. But they weren't, so they kept begging.

The truth is, he saw that Nate had better recent performances and was a more marketable fight on top of that. The other guys begging for it after were just making noise.
cerrone is a nightmare for conor man. and yes he knew Nate wasn't ready because everybody knew Nate wasn't ready. and yeah Nate was able to bargain because that's who Conor wanted. they could've pretty much make an auction for it and fighters would get in cheap to have that spotlight. check how much RDA was gonna make to fight conor btw. same deal as every other fight of his.

cerrone is a nightmare for conor man. and yes he knew Nate wasn't ready because everybody knew Nate wasn't ready. and yeah Nate was able to bargain because that's who Conor wanted. they could've pretty much make an auction for it and fighters would get in cheap to have that spotlight. check how much RDA was gonna make to fight conor btw. same deal as every other fight of his.

Fighters willing to fight for less if it's against Conor? Now you are really reaching.

Cerrone always starts out slow and gets finished in the first when he fights against finishers.

Conor starts out fast and finished guys like Aldo in the first

Just saying.

Nate derailed the hype train big ti
me and even Conor winning the rematch now can't change that. Conor was supposed to fight GSP at UFC 200, that's why the whole 170 limit. GSP was in the audience for that fight. Conor was supposed to call him out.

After RDA (another relative cherry pick over Edgar) was injured Nate was cherry-picked by Conor. A striker who doesn't take down people and is a relative draw because of his brother, it seemed like a perfect fight. At that time Conor seemed invincible in the stand up.

Will GSP be at 202? Dunno, but If Conor beats Nate, then it looks like a Rocky movie. Hype train full speed ahead. Look for a title defense and an Alverez matchup.
RDA an easier fight than Edgar? lol.
Nate a relative draw b/c of brother? agreed.

I made this thread to point out what I thought was obvious to every hardcore MMA fan.

It's ridiculous that some people try to paint Conor fighting Nate as Conor "stepping up", "taking risks", "fighting the bigger man" when this seemed as by far the best possible option when it comes to risk vs award AT THE TIME.

Newsflash, moving up a weight to fight the 155 champ is a step up. It's LITERALLY stepping up a weight class to fight the dominant fighter. Jesus! Also, Nate's got a dozen lbs on him so he's also fighting a bigger man.

imho, it's a mistake to fight Diaz at 170. He doesn't need to be giving away advantage like that. I would favor Conor at 155, but not 170. Nate's a big guy & he's even bigger at 170.

You literally just said they could make an auction and fighters would fight for cheap you idiot.
yes, cheap doesn't mean making less than what they normally would. I'm replying to you saying they would be able to bargain like Nate. they would absolutely not.

yes, cheap doesn't mean making less than what they normally would. I'm replying to you saying they would be able to bargain like Nate. they would absolutely not.

If in a PPV headliner against Conor means they make millions, and they go into a "reverse" bidding war to see who fights him. They would be making less than they normally would in that situation.

You are suggesting that fighters would stoop that low to auction off their deserved pay to fight Conor. Reaching.

If they were picked, they would've been able to bargain. But they weren't picked because they were all coming off of lousy performances. How does that not make sense?

I said when the first fight was made that Conor and the UFC were looking for the biggest "name" who wasn't training for a fight. They figured to pad Conor's record off Nate. The same thing was done for Lesnar when they chose Hunt. Hunt was tailor made for Brock's takedowns. It worked out that time but not with Nate.

Don't you think they went over their options? The public info we have on the matter is that Dana wanted McGregor to fight Urijah and McGregor preferred to fight Nate. After RDA pulled out of the bout, it's very likely that the first think they did was to assess their options. And at that point, Pettis, Cerrone and Khabib had stepped up.

It ain't Conor's fault that RDA pulled out of the original fight. At least Conor didn't back out like Jones did at UFC 151.

So basically you just want him to fight guys who are best at beating him despite their rankings.
He pulled an okie doke on Edgar and rallied for a rematch with Diaz instead of defending his title against the "then" consensus #1 Contender. He conveniently never fought any other wrestling based fighter at 145 when there were plenty. If he wants to be champ at 155 so badly it's important for him to know that there's a slew of wrestlers in that weight class he's gonna have to face.

Since McMetro likes to talk so much about how he was dominating Nate until he gassed, he should be happy to talk about Mendes dominating HIM until he gassed. See how that works? How that guy has a single fan, I will never know.

Don't you think they went over their options? The public info we have on the matter is that Dana wanted McGregor to fight Urijah and McGregor preferred to fight Nate. After RDA pulled out of the bout, it's very likely that the first think they did was to assess their options. And at that point, Pettis, Cerrone and Khabib had stepped up.

Aldo and Edgar were offered first and they couldn't take it. Not a knock on them.

Faber was tossed around but never seriously taken.

Khabib was already booked in a headliner for a LW #1 contenders match that was happening in a few weeks.

Pettis was on a 2 fight skid. Cerrone just got stopped in the first by RDA and followed it up with a win over... Who?

Diaz just dominated a rising top ten prospect in Michael Johnson.

Conor picked Diaz. Then Diaz began bargaining.

Doesn't sound like a cherry pick to me.

Last edited:
Conor is going to beat Diaz next week and make it look easy.

Then all you bums will be saying "Diaz was never that good to begin with", just like you did with Mark Hunt.
He's the 5th ranked LW, you act like he's fighting a champ from another weight class or something.

But but but but but Conor stepped oop

Both Conor and UFC were counting on Nate having zero camp.
He did have zero camp pretty much lol. It was just a matter of Conor not being able to overcome Nate's toughness and we'll see how things go when Nate has a full training camp this time.

If you watch the "Full Blast" where GSP does the play by play of Conor v. Nate, you can see him get instantly disappointed when Nate subs him, like "Damn, there goes my payday"

Cuz up until Conor panick wrestled GSP was all up in Conor's balls.
That doesn't definitively prove anything though. He's obviously still an MMA fan and was on camera, so he would have to show some excitement for the fight. He also likes Conor, (there's a photo of them together and he's said positive things about him in the past) and i can imagine him not having too much love for a Diaz brother.

Back