Conor vs. Khabib vs. Tony: The most intriguing trio of all time?

DeeDubb

Gracie Online Black Belt
@purple
Reaction score
The closest I can remember is Penn vs. Hughes vs. GSP, who may have been the most skilled trio atop a division, but they aren't nearly as intriguing as the odd balance of Conor, Khabib, and Tony.

Personality wise:
Conor is brash, charismatic, and brutal on the mic.
Khabib is devout, humble, reserved, but still charismatic in his own way.
Tony is an enigma. Wears sunglasses inside. Lashes out with bizarre outbursts during press conferences. Unpredictable, cringy, yet you can't look away.

Fighting style:
Conor is a master of the stand up like maybe we've never seen in MMA. Sharp, accurate, and powerful.
Khabib is a bear of a grappler. We've never seen anyone make other grapplers look so horrible.
Tony is again, unpredictable in his fighting style. He always seems to find a way to win. Against strikers, he upsets their timing. Against grapplers, he gets taken down, but works off his back aggressively, preventing any damage.

In a perfect world, we would see Conor vs. Khabib, Tony vs. Khabib, and Tony vs. Conor, and we might. Regardless, this is the most fascinating trio at the top of a division that I've ever seen.

Conor beats Khabib, Khabib beats Tony, and Tony beats Conor.

Hell no

Chuck, Wanderlei, Rampage

Fedor, Nog, Cro Cop

Was all better trios

In a perfect world if Khabib pulls out - Tony comes in and fights Connor. For me personally, it's the fight I'd rather see.

Tony is very hit-able but at the same time he negates Connor's reach advantage exactly like Nate did. I honestly think Tony comes in with some curveballs and causes Connor real problems.

Hell no

Chuck, Wanderlei, Rampage

Wanderlei wasn't even employed by the UFC when Chuck was the champion.

Fedor, Nog, Cro Cop

Was all better trios

This one is interesting, but the clashes in fighting styles and personalities weren't there. Like I said in my original post, GSP/Hughes/Penn was probably the most talented trio atop a division of all time (though your trio is up there), but they aren't as intriguing as the trio that I mentioned.

You failed to mention how Tony has the best BJJ in the entire division.

Did you even pride bro? Unless you think it didn't count back then cause they weren't on instagram posting expensive rentals.

they haven't even fought each other.

if cruz gets another shot at dillashaw and wins, i'd call it dillashaw, garbrandt and cruz.

There is one that was close too. DC, rumble and jonny bones.

Fucken penis enlargement dependency. Jon has had some tough luck.

It’s a very intriguing trio fighters, and they are fights I want to see. Also a very frustrating trio of fighters, as we still have yet to see any of them fight each other, and may never see some of these matchups. Conor will never fight Tony unless he is a last minute replacement or something. He isn’t a big draw and he’s a very risky fight. Khabib vs Tony atleast for the moment seems to be cursed and destined to never happen. Khabib vs Conor is booked, but they still have 2 months to make it to the cage. The MMA gods have not been so kind to us regarding these fighters and letting us see them fight. Hopefully that changes.

To an extent, but a lot of it has to do with them not actually fighting each other.

Back