Conor vs Khabib - Round by Round prediction

Haha this thread is now just becoming the wet dreams of Conor haters and Khabib fanboys for what they desperately want to happen: )

Not even a spec of any objective analysis to be found anywhere

There's going to be some epic meltdowns if/when Conor dominates Khabib cough @cambo78 @MurderClean @paynebringer

Let's actually be logical for a moment

1. Khabib is very hittable. Conor has the most knockdowns per fight in UFC history and has dropped every single one of his opponents aside from Holloway.

2. Khabib gassed in his very first ever 5 round fight. He does not have better cardio then Conor. Conor won round 4 against a Diaz brother and decision'd Holloway

3. Khabib is NOT really a finisher on the ground. He prefers to ride and control

People who are legitimately lethal from top position would be grapplers like Rockhold/Jones.

A LOT OF much lesser fighters then Conor have survived on bottom of Khabib

Last edited:
Khabib will get a takedown on his first attempt and win with ground and pound in the last 60-30 seconds of the first round. The nuthuggers will make threads saying Khabib was afraid to stand, it was an early stoppage, Conor is still the champ, takedowns shouldn't be allowed in mma, etc.

Khabib will get a takedown on his first attempt and win with ground and pound in the last 60-30 seconds of the first round. The nuthuggers will make threads saying Khabib was afraid to stand, it was an early stoppage, Conor is still the champ, takedowns shouldn't be allowed in mma, etc.
that sound more like what conor haters/deniers would say

@JayJayMMA

"Khabib wary and Khabib looking for the southpaw lead leg off combos."

Yeah, that's not going to happen or how things work

Conor stepping to the outside and or stepping to his right takes his lead leg out of the path of any single leg pulls. Go read the breakdown I did on this.

This whole talking point of "but but southpaw and single leg" is quickly becoming one of the most ridiculous talking points and newb misconceptions I've ever heard in my life

@Mysterio @fortheo @The Schmoop

It's like the.. "Alvarez will bully Conor against the fence like he did Pettis" talking point all over again

Where in both cases, people jumped to step 4 without ever realising that there are steps 1, 2, and 3 before all that

Step 1 being Conor's footwork

Step 2 being Conor's range control

Step 3 being Conor's counters

Etc

And I also love how people ignore that fighting out of single legs is often easy to do so, and that Conor will be able to drop elbows on the side of Kahbib' s head from that position (if it ever even gets to that)

Anyways, it's fun to predict. Your prediction isn't based on anything though. Holds as much weight as any random kid on the street picking a winner

Its all white noise until the fight happens

However, when reading your round 1 and 2 predictions, something was interesting, and very telling

You talk about the successes you feel Conor would have, yet still give the rounds to Khabib

That tells me that you are already going to have preconceived notions and bias while watching the actual fight.

That no matter what Conor does you're going to ignore it, and that you're going to be watching the fight simply looking to score any decision in favor for khabib.

This is one of my fears, that even if Conor is absolutely dominating Khabib, that if Khabib just scores 1 TD that he does nothing with, Conor will get robbed in a decision

Hopefully Conor sleeps Khabib and it doesn't get put into the judges hands

I already know there's a lot of biased people like you who are going to be looking for any reasons to score any decision against Conor

Conor needs to put Khabib away. I feel Conor is not going to get a fair shake in a decision. The bias for wrestlers is too heavy.

The whole newb point of view is strange, everyone brings their own experience into it. Videos that I have seen of Conor shows him moving in and out when striking, he has more movement to the side in between combos.

No bias and I guess it's your opinion that you believe I am, I enjoy watching Conor fight more so than Khabib due to doing more striking myself in the past than any mat work. Conor is exciting in the cage as he is unpredictable and his ability to read movement in a fight is elite, tried to give my opinion on the round by round (yes i understand that stating my opinion on a forum about how I feel the fight will go doesn't hold weight and all that matters is how the fight actually goes down).

Thanks for pointing out your thread, I read it and it's a good read, good to see you taking time to provide your opinion on it as well.

I give the rounds where there is less action from both to Khabib as I believe he will move forward more and it's unfortunately the way refs score it now.

I imagine it will probably look a lot like volkan v. cormier:
Whereas oezdemir had some success in the striking, as soon as dc took him down, it was pretty much over.
Dc rocked Oezdemir on the feet before any takedowns occured.... Whata terrible comparison anyways, like Conors a bum on the ground...? Khabib aint finishing shit, Khabib gunna get slept

Rd. 1 - Loooong feel out period before first engagement. Conor throws a couple of shots, partially blocked khabib, regardless, crowd goes wild. 30 seconds pass, Khabib shoots, Conor stuffs it, crowd goes wild. Khabib shoots again, gets Conor down with 1 minute to go, does a little damage, bell sounds.

Rd. 2 - Conor getting a little tiredn trying to land that stiif left but can't, Khabib shoots, gets Conor down. Violence. Oh the violence. Conor's busted up and tired. Bell sounds.

Rd. 3 - Khabib shoots at the beginning of the round, gets Conor down. Violence, Oh the violence, Conor with one last attempt tries to push Khabib off, Khabib slips to the side, arm triangle in deep. It's over.

Sherdog Crashes.

Thanks for posting your version, no matter what happens there will be many eyeballs on this fight!

There is no way in hell that Mcgregor wins a round or has any gas left past the third round (and thats being generous).
He looked decent and came back against Nate but Khabib is a whole different animal. He will take Mcgregor to deep waters cardio wise. Not to mention that Mcgregor has major ring rust.

Imo Conor will put a fight early and i would even say that Khabib might get in unnecessary dangerous situations standing but at the end he will get McG tired, bloody, hopeless and it will turn out into one piece of meat going through the grinder. Khabib ud or stoppage in the 4th or 5th round.

Last edited:
Conor only has 8 minutes before he gasses -- see both Diaz fights.

Unless there's a first round takedown, Conor wins round 1 easily. Probably round 2, too, though the 8 minute mark would be a good time for Khabib to get a takedown.

Round 3, Conor is pretty much dead tired. Great time for a takedown here. Easy round for Khabib.

Round 4, if Conor survives he will be somewhat recovered. Depending on how much damage he took in round 3, he could win this round.

Round 5, could be the deciding round, by this point if Khabib has had him on the ground for any decent amount of time, even the standup will probably be about equal.

Bottom line, Conor really needs to get a KO in the first 2 rounds. WIthout that happening, it's either: Khabib takes him down for a long time and he's in deep trouble (wide decision loss or TKO loss), or, Khabib takes him down for a shorter/less effective period of time, and it goes to a very tight decision depending on how the last two rounds play out.

The whole newb point of view is strange, everyone brings their own experience into it. Videos that I have seen of Conor shows him moving in and out when striking, he has more movement to the side in between combos.

No bias and I guess it's your opinion that you believe I am, I enjoy watching Conor fight more so than Khabib due to doing more striking myself in the past than any mat work. Conor is exciting in the cage as he is unpredictable and his ability to read movement in a fight is elite, tried to give my opinion on the round by round (yes i understand that stating my opinion on a forum about how I feel the fight will go doesn't hold weight and all that matters is how the fight actually goes down).

Thanks for pointing out your thread, I read it and it's a good read, good to see you taking time to provide your opinion on it as well.

I give the rounds where there is less action from both to Khabib as I believe he will move forward more and it's unfortunately the way refs score it now.
If this is how you truly feel, then I apologize for assuming you were biased

This was a civil reasonable repsonse. Kudos to you for that. I voted you up: )

I guess the discussion we can have is on how rounds would be scored.

So let's say during the fight, Khabib is walking forward, and Conor is putting a countering clinic on him

But let's say Khabib against all odds shows he actually has a Nate Diaz level chin

Should Khabib get points just for having the chin to walk forward and eat the counters? Not a chance

Should Khabib get points simply for moving forward when Conor is the one controlling with his footwork ?

The keyword here should be effective

The judges should be educated enough to know what's happening

I really hope Conor doesn't get robbed if it goes to decision

Based on what you wrote, Conor wins/should win any rounds, like your rounds 1 and 2

Last edited:
Conor only has 8 minutes before he gasses -- see both Diaz fights
Flase. Conor won round 4 against Nate, and won the 5 round decision over Nate

It was Khabib who gassed in round 4 against a real estate agent.

Conor objectively has the cardio advantage, especially now after doing a hard 10 rounds against Floyd

Where is this misconception coming from the Khabib has ever shown fantastic cardio?

9/10 - Khabib gets him down mid 1st round, pounds on him for the rest of the round. Round 2 Khabib gets him down 1 minute in, pounds on him for rest of round. Round 3, conor gassed, khabib gets him down and TKO's him.
1/10 - Conor catches khabib, hammerfists, fight over.

The biggest factor here is that Khabib and his team openly admits Conor is better on the feet and they will not be standing with him. Even if he fails a TD, I can see Khabib chain wrestling and that takes a lot out of you, especially with the pressure and pace Khabib puts, extra bad if he puts you against the cage. Put Tony in there and I see him standing with Conor and getting slept.
At the same time, Conor has a dynamite of a left hand and while Khabib has never been visibly hurt before, if anyone can stop him, it's Conor who is pretty fast and I think fast enough to tag Khabib a couple of times. I also see Khabib going on auto pilot and being dazed if Conor cracks him hard and if that happens, the fight is over with Khabib rapidly trying to close the distance and getting cracked.
If Khabib safely closes the distance and grabs Conor, puts him against the cage, takes him down and spends a few minutes on top, with his pressure on top, Conor will be in trouble. If he has a Nate Diaz chin, Conor is in trouble. Not too sure, he took flush head kicks from Edson but by then, Edson was prolly tired af.
50/50 fight, or at least 55/45 Conor. This isn't Conor's first fight, we've seen him crack people and we know what happens next.
Can't wait for this fight. Huge fan of both guys and it's a damn shame how much the opinion is divided. I'll be happy for the winner and sad for the loser. War both guys!

9/10 - Khabib gets him down mid 1st round, pounds on him for the rest of the round. Round 2 Khabib gets him down 1 minute in, pounds on him for rest of round. Round 3, conor gassed, khabib gets him down and TKO's him.
1/10 - Conor catches khabib, hammerfists, fight over.
I feel Conor has to KO Khabib a la Aldo because I doubt he will follow through with GNP after a knockdown. He won't risk getting taken down even from a queer street Khabib. He'll take the same cautionary approach as he did vs Diaz.

If this is how you truly feel, then I apologize for assuming you were biased

This was a civil reasonable repsonse. Kudos to you for that. I voted you up: )

I guess the discussion we can have is on how rounds would be scored.

So let's say during the fight, Khabib is walking forward, and Conor is putting a countering clinic on him

But let's say Khabib against all odds shows he actually has a Nate Diaz level chin

Should Khabib get points just for having the chin to walk forward and eat the counters? Not a chance

Should Khabib get points simply for moving forward when Conor is the one controlling with his footwork ?

The keyword here should be effective

The judges should be educated enough to know what's happening

I really hope Conor doesn't get robbed if it goes to decision

Based on what you wrote, Conor wins/should win any rounds like your rounds 1 and 2

I feel that SBG will be wary of Khabib's grinding style over multiple rounds and will game plan for Conor to only strike minimally in the first two rounds. Based on that Conor will throw jabs and combos to keep Khabib cautious of running in, he will definitely connect on a few though I don't see him putting all his power behind it early so I don't see Khabib being tested dramatically until half into round 2 or early 3. Overeem used to fight in a similar style to Conor in that he normally wins the first round or two and gassed by the latter rounds if it made it that far, he started relaxing more recently and had success in later rounds.

Should fighters be seen to win a round if they are moving forward? I don't believe so, I want to see positive action rather than just aggression however fighters need to also be aware of how judges are scoring lately which has favoured the aggressor even if they sometimes were down on the strikes landed.

And thank you, I don't have any issues with someone disagreeing with me. I love the sport, some fighters I enjoy seeing fight more than others however there have been only a few fights since I started watching MMA back in the day that I can say I truely didn't enjoy.

I feel Conor has to KO Khabib a la Aldo because I doubt he will follow through with GNP after a knockdown. He won't risk getting taken down even from a queer street Khabib. He'll take the same cautionary approach as he did vs Diaz.
Naw

Khabib has never shown a bottom game like Nates

If/when Conor drops Khabib he's going to land ground and pound

I think Conor is actually going to drop Khabib multiple times.

The question is how many can Khabib survive

I think it will be a case of the Alvarez fight

And if khabib survives knockdowns, he's going to be damaged enough to the point it will carry Conor to a decision win IMO

Khabib will never finish his opponent off, he wants to humiliate them on floor which he will do Conor.

He is a one trick pony and will do his usual GnP spam but will avoid stoppage or KO to humiliate Conor for 5 round straight.

I feel that SBG will be wary of Khabib's grinding style over multiple rounds and will game plan for Conor to only strike minimally in the first two rounds. Based on that Conor will throw jabs and combos to keep Khabib cautious of running in, he will definitely connect on a few though I don't see him putting all his power behind it early so I don't see Khabib being tested dramatically until half into round 2 or early 3. Overeem used to fight in a similar style to Conor in that he normally wins the first round or two and gassed by the latter rounds if it made it that far, he started relaxing more recently and had success in later rounds.

Overeem has never had the counter-punching wizardry of Conor, nor has Overeem ever had Conor's defensive based fleet-footed counter-punching style

Never has Overeem ever used advanced distance deception methods to create countering opportunities like Conor does

Overeem doesn't have a fraction of the sophisticated lead hand game Conor has

Etc

I feel you really don't understand Conor's game yet

And because of that, you really can't appreciate the subtle mastery and genius of Conor's game yet

I wouldn't say they are weary of the grappling, but they are definitely aware of it, and game planning accordingly

Based on actual evidence of how Conor fights, how Khabib fights, and all the footage, the onus to cover distance is on Khabib...

Conor will stay back and hack away with front kicks and jabs etc

Keep fienting to keep Khabib off set

Keep controlling with his leadhand

Land the long left lead when ever he wants either off his leadhand probe distractions or on offbeats

Conor will simultaneously be circling Kahbib toward his power hand, lining up any shots, and setting up the step out to outside angle

It's khabib who needs to get close to wrap up and initiate his clinch based wrestling.

Whenever he comes forward at Conor he's running the MAJOR RISK of stepping right into Conors counters

It can end up being a lot like the Alvarez fight.

With Conor controlling and countering when they come forward

Conor is a master at drawing opponents in to counter them

At some point Khabib is definitely going to be left having to chase after Conor and that's when Conor is going to be able to either step off/step back/plant and really counter fuck his soul like Conor loves to do

Khabib's footwork is very poor and he seems to have no understanding of angles

This is all a disaster waiting to happen against Conor

The writing is on the wall

Round 1: Conor controls distance and counters Khabib when he tries to clinch. Khabib, frustrated at not being able to clinch, shoots for a double which Conor easily shucks off and lands a straight-left, right-hook combo. Khabib, now staggered, tries to clinch again and is flattened by a straight left. Conor drops some needless punches to a downed Khabib.

TKO 3:13 of Round 1.

Overeem has never had the counter-punching wizardry of Conor, nor has Overeem ever had Conor's defensive based fleet-footed counter-punching style

Never has Overeem ever used advanced distance deception methods to create countering opportunities like Conor does

Overeem doesn't have a fraction of the sophisticated lead hand game Conor has

Etc

I feel you really don't understand Conor's game yet

And because of that, you really can't appreciate the subtle mastery and genius of Conor's game yet

I wouldn't say they are weary of the grappling, but they are definitely aware of it, and game planning accordingly

Based on actual evidence of how Conor fights, how Khabib fights, and all the footage, the onus to cover distance is on Khabib...

Conor will stay back and hack away with front kicks and jabs etc

Keep fienting to keep Khabib off set

Keep controlling with his leadhand

Land the long left lead when ever he wants either off his leadhand probe distractions or on offbeats

Conor will simultaneously be circling Kahbib toward his power hand, lining up any shots, and setting up the step out to outside angle

It's khabib who needs to get close to wrap up and initiate his clinch based wrestling.

Whenever he comes forward at Conor he's running the MAJOR RISK of stepping right into Conors counters

It can end up being a lot like the Alvarez fight.

With Conor controlling and countering when they come forward

Conor is a master at drawing opponents in to counter them

At some point Khabib is definitely going to be left having to chase after Conor and that's when Conor is going to be able to either step off/step back/plant and really counter fuck his soul like Conor loves to do

Khabib's footwork is very poor and he seems to have no understanding of angles

This is all a disaster waiting to happen against Conor

The writing is on the wall

I think you missed the correlation I was making between Conor and Overeem, it wasn't skill based and merely on energy efficiency in the early stages of a fight. They are very different fighters as you pointed out though tried to be clear I was talking about how they approach the early phases.

The rest of your post I agree with as it is basically that Khabib is the one that needs to get close to enforce his game plan. I feel Khabib wins based on AKA strategy and how he has approached previous fights, obviously I can see your opinion is different which is cool and is what makes us fans of the fight game, I'd be happy on the day as long as it isn't a draw and finished too quickly as I want to see a high level fight.

Flase. Conor won round 4 against Nate, and won the 5 round decision over Nate

No, it's ture.

Conor gassed at the 8 minute point of both fights.

True he recovered for the 4th round -- read the rest of my post, I account for this.

He still gassed at the 8 minute mark of both fights. He got a 2nd wind in the 2nd fight (he might have in the 1st fight, we'll never know)

Back