Conor vs. Justin has to happen

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Reffson, Feb 3, 2020.

1. Reffson Brown Belt

I've been going over all the possible matchups for Conor and this is the only fight that makes sense for many reasons. One, it's a great matchup between the superstar counter-striker and the aggressive mauler. The fight will sell big-time. Two, Jorge is fighting Usman and Khabib vs. Tony isn't until April 18th. If Dana gets his way, it means Conor is on the shelf for WAY too long. Conor told everybody that he wants 3 fights this year and I believe he was speaking honestly.
    Conor already fought once and barely broke a sweat so he's in shape and can be ready soon. Justin, I'm sure could be ready fairly soon also but the process needs to begin.
    For the Diaz fans, sorry but a 3rd fight makes no sense for Conor right now even if it's interesting. If Conor wins it doesn't mean much (Khabib could still deny him) and if he loses it messes up everything.
    Justin is the MAN. If Justin wins, his stock rises and you can hype a fight with the Khabib/Tony winner. If Conor wins he's still the Golden Boy, even more so, and Khabib would be hard-pressed to deny him a shot.

2. Sweater of AV Gold Belt

"Conor's next fight will either be Khabib 2 or Cerrone 2"

-Pink Goof

3. Siesta Black Belt

Your first problem is that you want it to make sense, the UFC wants it to make dollars.

4. Blanqa Blanqua Gold Belt

yup

5. Blanqa Blanqua Gold Belt

It makes sense to make the best & biggest fights and show respect to Conor. Who else has done what he’s done? No one.

6. Reffson Brown Belt

Conor vs. Justin will sell. No doubt. If Conor loses, he don't deserve the shot and Justin does. Don't be Floyd'ing up the UFC.

7. Sweater of AV Gold Belt

Cerrone 2 through 5 coming up.

8. LetThemBleed Red Belt

Fair point especially with regards to timing if you believe Conor's serious about fighting 3 times this year. I would have preferred a match up with Masvidal tbh but that looks increasingly unlikely. If Masvidal pulls out what most people seem to agree would be a surprise W over Usman however in their title fight it might be enough to entice Conor given the potential for him to be the first 3 weight UFC champ and it's not like any other contender at 170 is putting in breathtaking performances so it wouldn't be a major issue for Conor to skip them to get a title shot. Winner of Edwards Woodley might be salty but Edwards doesn't excite much or move the needle, and Woodley would be one win removed from being absolutely ragdolled by Usman so I don't think there's much demand to see him in the title picture again.

I don't think Justin's got much of a chance of getting this fight when you consider he's got little public recognition with casuals, with Ali being his manager, and of course with Dana wanting to get the big payday that Khabib Conor 2 would generate, would they really risk a massive payday for Justin Conor. Khabib thanks to his rivalry with Conor is at worst the third biggest star in the UFC behind Conor and Jones and realistically I'd imagine he's a bigger draw than Jones these days, not sure Justin currently cracks the top 10 despite his fan friendly style.

9. Reffson Brown Belt

Great post.

10. Airdack sandbagging white belt bjj classes

Inb4 Conor puts on a counter strike clinic and all the haters start saying Justin was always hittable, had his chin cracked, never was that good because two of Conor’s sloppy seconds finished him.

Post fight Conor vs Alvarez flashbacks incoming

11. Brodie Blue Belt

Rather see Conor vs Masvidal, the build up would make it the biggest fight of the year. I like Gaethje but the public doesn’t know who he is and he’s not known for his personality/charisma.

12. The Podium Yellow Belt

New defensive, patient Justin touches Conors chin and he's shitting all the colors of the rainbow shortly after.

Justin bless

13. Reffson Brown Belt

I agree he's a smarter fighter than before. Not the "Conor shitting colors" part however, but it could happen. All the more reason to make the fight.

14. Ackmed Black Belt

Justin makes the most sense then, because it's the only way to make the money-fight with Khabib after.

15. Ackmed Black Belt

Hard for the UFC to make dollars when Khabib isnt swayed by it. If they want to make dollars they will need to meet Khabib's demands and have Conor earn it

16. Danis_champ Brown Belt

I agree. He is not built for 170

There is no other fight for Conor that makes sense unless he wants to fight Hooker, Islam or CDF.

17. Mr Fahrenheit Purple Belt

Agree. All Conor fights will sell. Gaethje provides plenty of narrative material for espn etc. to use to build up this fight. It will clearly be a title eliminator with the title shot as the prize.

I’m not sure what the “only mega fights for Conor” crowd wants at this point. Masvidal would’ve been a cool fight, but if that’s not happening Gaethje is about as compelling as it gets. He can’t just fight ONLY Khabib for the next three years....

18. LoneStalker Black Belt

BS
    Conor should rematch the old man from the pub.
    Conor and Dana ducking the old drunktard CONFIRMED!

19. JimmyFresno Banned Banned

Agreed.

Conor jumped ahead of Gaethje in the rankings by beating Cowboy, whom Gaethje himself had just beaten a few months prior.

That's number 1 bullshit.

Ninja Gaethje ftw!

20. Blanqa Blanqua Gold Belt

Khabib will do as he’s told or can fade into a forgotten memory.