Conor squandered his prime

He never gave a shit about title defenses. Ask DJ where all his title defenses got him, he ended up getting traded to Singapore for Ben fucking Askren.

Conor understood that this sport is prize fighting. Making the right moves and taking the fights with the most financial payoff. This sport is sports entertainment, it's WWE with loose story lines and unscripted fights.

Talk the talk, walk the walk, and make that walk fucking exciting.

Conor said it since day one. Get rich, get out. That's exactly what he did.

As people who non-stop bitch about fighter pay we should be happy for Conor. He helped put money in other fighters pockets and helped bring exposure to fighters who were on his cards. He made millions in a sport where fighters need second jobs to survive.

4-5 years he went from welfare in Ireland to one of the highest paid combat sports athletes of all time.
First fighter to try and establish the Ali act in mma too I think

Obviously it benefits him first and foremost but still

The fact that he has never in his life attempted to defend a belt is truly one of the most pathetic things I've ever seen from a prizefighter.

Champions pay it forward, they give opportunities the way that opportunities were given to them. It's the entire reason they all entered the sport, to get the belt and defend it. That's the goal. The way Conor received favorable matchmaking at FW and was gifted a title fight at LW, then never even entertained the idea of taking a fight where he had more to lose than his opponent, is as low as it gets. That's why he's not even close to being the FW GOAT and never will be. Countless fighters can go on one run (especially with help from the organization they fight for) and win a belt, very few can defend it. Only one fighter in the organization's history never even attempted to do so. That's his legacy.

the reason people enter the sport is for many. Miss me with that naive shit

If he would have come down to FW again after winning the LW belt he would have beaten everybody, Aldo and Max rematches (even though I would have rooted for Aldo) and everybody else.
If Khabib can cut to LW he could have cut to FW with the right professionals.

Same as I don't see Aldo beating Conor at any point in their simultaneous timelines I don't see Conor EVER beating Khabib, that's the stupidest idea he's ever had sportswise.

The drop in morale after that loss isn't worth wathever millions he made from it.

He most likely would have lost a re-match for a title if he had ever defended one.

He played the game right - came in, got those two titles. Has the win over Aldo in spectacular fashion but never gave Aldo a deserved rematch. Was gifted Eddie who is by far one of the weakest ufc champs ever.

His prime was mostly hype and careful match making.

He made his money and even he has said that was the plan all along. Get rich, get out.

He talks about wanting the rematch with Khabib but that is just fluff as he is making more excuses (lies).

the reason people enter the sport is for many. Miss me with that naive shit

Yeah, that's why Conor stepped into a boxing gym as a kid. He thought he'd be making millions off it.

You're the naive one if you think any of these guys got into the game from the beginning because they thought they'd be rich. There are far better and safer ways to make money. That's why Conor asked for a Nate rematch at 170 when everyone thought it was a terrible idea, his ego is as big as anyone's. He was willing to do whatever it took to get back to that belt, because of what it symbolizes. They all have something to prove and they want to be the best. Even now, it eats away at Conor that Khabib and Floyd are better than he is. That's why he's become a bitter drunk cokehead who's assaulting randoms and making weird social media posts. He wants everyone to think he's the best without actually defending a belt against legitimate contenders.

I'll wait for you to show me the prizefighter who came into the sport without money and then got rich through fighting while not caring more about either proving they were the best or maintaining the facade that they're the best. Conor is part of the latter group. He has all the money in the world and could be living a happy life with his family, but he's miserable because he isn't the best and no one thinks that he is. Money was a byproduct of why he entered the sport. It's clearly important to him, but not as important as what people think of him or how he thinks of himself. We've got all the evidence in the world of that.

Should’ve stuck around at Manlet Weight and none of this would’ve happened...

View attachment 635609
At some point his age would have caught up to him (meaning the weight cut would have fucked him up royally as he was having trouble to begin with).

I fully believe that Aldo would have won a rematch at 145 had conor been a man of his word and given the rematch that Aldo deserved.

Yeah, that's why Conor stepped into a boxing gym as a kid. He thought he'd be making millions off it.

You're the naive one if you think any of these guys got into the game from the beginning because they thought they'd be rich. There are far better and safer ways to make money. That's why Conor asked for a Nate rematch at 170 when everyone thought it was a terrible idea, his ego is as big as anyone's. He was willing to do whatever it took to get back to that belt, because of what it symbolizes. They all have something to prove and they want to be the best. Even now, it eats away at Conor that Khabib and Floyd are better than he is. That's why he's become a bitter drunk cokehead who's assaulting randoms and making weird social media posts. He wants everyone to think he's the best without actually defending a belt against legitimate contenders.

I'll wait for you to show me the prizefighter who came into the sport without money and then got rich through fighting while not caring more about either proving they were the best or maintaining the facade that they're the best. Conor is part of the latter group. He has all the money in the world and could be living a happy life with his family, but he's miserable because he isn't the best and no one thinks that he is. Money was a byproduct of why he entered the sport. It's clearly important to him, but not as important as what people think of him or how he thinks of himself. We've got all the evidence in the world of that.

When you make the decision to go pro, you're objective is to make money, that is the ultimate goal

Knocked out aldo, won belt in 2 divisions and also broke PPV records vs Floyd and also broke selling records with his whiskey.

And he still isn't done.

Conor was smart enough to realise that defending titles is a high risk low reward situation. He was always in this game to make money.

It paid off, literally, he fought Floyd and made 100 million.

When you make the decision to go pro, you're objective is to make money, that is the ultimate goal

You countered absolutely nothing that I said and didn't even attempt to. I've been training since 05 and have been close with many professional fighters. You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. You're trolling or arguing in bad faith. Either way, I don't care. Ignore list.

??? He's one of the most known combat athletes on the planet for better or worse. You had boxing dudes saying he wouldn't last one minute with Floyd grudgingly admitting MMA dudes would do 10x better than their boxing counterparts if the roles were reversed. No one had him sleeping Aldo - no one. Only his hyberbole fakeish fans predicted such nonsense. No one expected him to sleep Eddie either. It's revisionist history now but prior to those fights he had fought nobodies and champions would wreck him.

His fight with Khabib was a defense, he did not deserve to be stripped. Just like how he's still the lineal FW champion, no one's taken that from him yet. I'm not even a fan of the dude, these are just facts.

Eddie fight was fixed but carry on

Eddie fight was fixed but carry on

giphy.gif

That would be news to me, MMA as a whole, the athletic commission and planet earth in general. It is also highly, highly against Eddie's best interests to lose on purpose instead of win, call himself the GOAT, get into a highly lucrative rematch instead of falling off the face of the earth as the guy that got dusted by Conor.

Out of all his fights, that's the one you think was fixed? Not the Aldo one? Not the Poirier or Mendes one?

Imagine spending the limited time on earth making a photoshopped image of a joke thats been done a billion times....

Sorry to break it for you, but there is nothing to photoshop here. You just enter a website that provides these templates, type in 2 sentences and you get this result.

How different do you think his legacy could have been if he had actually defended his titles?

Back when he had just won them, I think he had a real chance at defeating some of the top contenders in each division. At this point he seems to be washed up and has lost a step so there's little hope of him ever regaining a title with the current crop of fighters at the top.

What a damn shame.
connor?

You countered absolutely nothing that I said and didn't even attempt to. I've been training since 05 and have been close with many professional fighters. You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. You're trolling or arguing in bad faith. Either way, I don't care. Ignore list.

Did you seriously think I was gonna scale that wall of text? Riiiiight....

The bottom line is at this level of the game, with the physical grind you put on yourself, the number one priority has to be money. Forsaking that objective in favor of a "legacy" is nothing short of retarded

Man I was a huge Conor fan in his early UFC days. I remember watching his debut against Brimage and was amazed at his striking. Then he followed it up with dominant wins.

Its just sad how money and fame got in his head. He really did waste his physical prime.

damage control interview with Canner on espn right now.
(might be a re broadcast, don't know)

I'm not particularly a fan of his but one could argue he made the most of his prime by cashing in on his image through endorsements, business ventures, etc before his performances started declining and his brand value hurting.

Don't get me wrong, I get what is being said that he could have been fighting more and building up his legacy inside the cage. I just don't blame him for the route he has gone.

Back