Conor squandered his prime

How would you.like someone to take that from him? He literally hasn't fought at that weight since winning the title

I guess Frank shamrock and GSP are still the lineal champions of their divisions

They might as well just fold up the WW and MW divisions since GSP is still the champ. Don't think anyones taking those belts from him any time soon

Uhhhh....they are. That's exactly how that works. When someone retires without ever relinquishing it or fighting again you have to start a new one. Max has been waiting for his chance to do exactly that but it's looking like Conor will never fight again, let alone go back down to FW. So Max begins a new one starting with his first title win.

You're not wrong; however, the question was how different his legacy could have been if he actually tried to compete for glory aka legacy instead of just money.
Legacy means nothing. Look how many old school UFC greats have to come out of retirement at 45-50 in some shit MMA promotion so they can pay the bills.

Legacy isn't gonna feed his family when he's been retired from fighting for 10-15 years.

Taking dangerous lesser paying fights for a legacy in a company that gives two shits about their post mma career life.

Conor made the right choices in the end. He has multiple revenue streams, was on top of the world at one point, and got out of the sport without too much damage realistically. Conor's only been dropped once in his entire career and never ko/tko'd. He's really lucky tbh.

Maybe could’ve gotten some defenses at fw, but he wasn’t beating khabib

He’s an idiot and a sociopath, but squandered, I don’t think so..

yeah right, 100 mil in the bank sounds squandered to me. wish i would have squandered my prime like he did.

Nobody is disputing his success. Had he made different choices though, how much more successful could he have been with a lasting legacy of being a dominant champ instead of being remembered as a conman that won titles and ran from all the contenders before having to defend them and expose himself as a fraud?

1st post...not rly, imo...he used his prime fame/popularity to catapult him into other opportunities , with the bout vs floyd arguably being the biggest...netting him the biggest $ as well.

Legacy means nothing. Look how many old school UFC greats have to come out of retirement at 45-50 in some shit MMA promotion so they can pay the bills.

Legacy isn't gonna feed his family when he's been retired from fighting for 10-15 years.

Taking dangerous lesser paying fights for a legacy in a company that gives two shits about their post mma career life.

Conor made the right choices in the end. He has multiple revenue streams, was on top of the world at one point, and got out of the sport without too much damage realistically. Conor's only been dropped once in his entire career and never ko/tko'd. He's really lucky tbh.

He is lucky to have it turn out how it did for him. Imagine sitting on a pile of money along with fond memories of a lasting legacy though? He got lots but I think he had the skills to have it all.

You're not wrong; however, the question was how different his legacy could have been if he actually tried to compete for glory aka legacy instead of just money.

Wouldn't be any different if he had. People would cap on him for every failure like they do now. Fighting for anything but money is foolish

He is lucky to have it turn out how it did for him. Imagine sitting on a pile of money along with fond memories of a lasting legacy though? He got lots but I think he had the skills to have it all.
It doesn't work like that. He'd have WAY less money if he just tried to go for defenses. The Floyd fight alone was easily worth more than him defending a belt 10 times. Legacy means nothing at the end of the day. DJ is the perfect example.

Nobody is disputing his success. Had he made different choices though, how much more successful could he have been with a lasting legacy of being a dominant champ instead of being remembered as a conman that won titles and ran from all the contenders before having to defend them and expose himself as a fraud?

whatever, you guys have no clue what all that fame and fortune must be like whatsoever, yet you comment on it like you would know what to do and how to handle it. Until you walk a mile in someone else's shoes you don't know shit.

Criticizing the career of the most successful MMA prize fighter to date

ji6qi2p.gif

Successful in Twitter followerS?

He's the most praised guy who never defended a belt once

Not even ONCE

Successful in Twitter followerS?

He's the most praised guy who never defended a belt once

Not even ONCE

Prize fighting success is measured in money earned, regardless of wins, losses or titles.

Attachments

• fat guy computer.jpg
    fat guy computer.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 98
The fact that he has never in his life attempted to defend a belt is truly one of the most pathetic things I've ever seen from a prizefighter.

Champions pay it forward, they give opportunities the way that opportunities were given to them. It's the entire reason they all entered the sport, to get the belt and defend it. That's the goal. The way Conor received favorable matchmaking at FW and was gifted a title fight at LW, then never even entertained the idea of taking a fight where he had more to lose than his opponent, is as low as it gets. That's why he's not even close to being the FW GOAT and never will be. Countless fighters can go on one run (especially with help from the organization they fight for) and win a belt, very few can defend it. Only one fighter in the organization's history never even attempted to do so. That's his legacy.

Meh, who knows. Conor did better than 99% of people for the work he put in. It's easy to shit on him now because he has made it easy through his actions as of late, adding to the fact that his shit talking which used to be amusing because he would go in and back it up no longer is because of the losses he has taken...

Excess changes people unless they're highly focused. There are so many examples of this with so few exceptions.

We also don't know what is going on in his personal life (not making excuses for his stupid decisions but it would certainly provide some insight)

He has talked at length in earlier interviews about how his coach (despite a lot of people wanting to shit on him) kept him on track and actually there were quite a few times were Conor thought about giving up and did at one point and his coach brought him through that rough patch and he finally went on to achieve success shortly thereafter, his wife was also very supportive of him in a time and culture where most women wouldn't have been so loyal and left him, she stayed and not only "stuck it out" but really supported him and kept him motivated.

Who knows how those dynamics have changed, and they certainly aren't going to get better as he loses focus for big money fights or other business opportunities which would piss off his coach as far as focusing strictly on the fighting aspect (we've seen hints of this like Conor saying he isn't going to do press and has to focus on training after losing to Nate) Conor sounds like he has cheated on his wife, and now he is going around getting into fights with random people.

It's important to realize what got you to where you are, including the people around you. There are too many people that keep dead beats around in their life and shit all over the ones who treat them well. Conor always played a character in his more high profile interviews but in some of them (lower key ones) you could tell at some point he was a genuine person who really cared and was proud of what he was doing and was pretty humble.

As time went on all the money and success changed him and the dynamic of his relationships, forgot what got him to where he is, but you can't just magically repair vital relationships because you realized you fucked up, and if you have millions of dollars and a lot of yes men around you, who knows if you'll even bother doing any self reflection anyways.

Just my two cents, but I feel like there are a lot of factors people don't really talk about when looking at behavior like this. I'm not a cult like follower of anyone, people aren't perfect. Maybe he'll turn things around and maybe he won't, honestly I think the best thing Conor can be for fans and haters alike right now anyways, is an example and case study of knowing what is important to you and setting intentions not just for getting what you want, but to know where you want to go and what you want to do and what got you to where you are after that success if you happen to find it.

How different do you think his legacy could have been if he had actually defended his titles?

Back when he had just won them, I think he had a real chance at defeating some of the top contenders in each division. At this point he seems to be washed up and has lost a step so there's little hope of him ever regaining a title with the current crop of fighters at the top.

What a damn shame.
Connor would have a much better legacy with title runs. Aldo was an all time great and should have gotten a rematch. A win again would have said a lot. Never defending makes it hard for me to put in a conversation about greatest. It is hard to stay on top and beat all comers gunning from you and guys with long runs beat top contenders even on off nights and when hurt. Being a GOAT doesn't seem to be his goal, it is making money. Had he defended at 145 and 155 a few times each and had he another 6 wins the last few years instead of sitting, he might be in the discussion. I think he is more of a fighter who has been found. LIke Tyson when guys found out you could stand up to him. Connor has mediocre cardio and just hand around or get him down and wear him out.

Conor will come back as a wrestler like GSP post Serra.

{<Mcgoat}

Back