Conor should play the counter striker

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Chain Saw, Aug 15, 2016.

1. Chain Saw

Chain Saw Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

I think that he's going to fight a completely different way this time. He will be light on his feet and move in and out. He won't attack as much in the first round, and he will allow Nate to get comfortable with his striking. Then he will start timing him and countering him until he gets the KO.

I think he needs to play the counter striker this time and catch Nate coming in to put him down.

If you watch the first fight, every time Conor was leading, Nate was able to step out of range or use his head movement to slip or roll with punches. But when Nate first started getting loose, Conor began timing him and countering him, especially his jab. Diaz has an iron chin, but some of the counters Conor landed were fucking solid and nobody can take repeated shots like that. He only really landed about 3-4 flush shots during the fight, at most, and most of them were counter strikes.

Nate has effective boxing but it is still sloppy compared to Conor's and when they are both fresh Conor proves to be faster and more accurate than him.

But this time around Nate will also have a full training camp, which could definitely tidy up his striking and Conor may not be as successful as he was last time when they were both fresh.

I am still picking Nate to win, but if Conor plays the counter striker more in this, and leads mostly to create distance instead of headhunting, he has a good shot at winning.

2. TrainInVain

TrainInVain Swangin an Bangin Belt

Yep and throw a lot of body shots. The ol' body body head.

$uicideboy$ likes this.
  3. legkicktko

legkicktko Only the Strong Survive

The problem with that whole counter punching (specifically catch Nate when he's coming in) game is that Nate is also a southpaw which makes it more difficult to land Conors left hand. He also is longer and stands nearly sideways which makes it worse. Conors boxing is completely one handed.

WOATwindmiller likes this.
  4. ALAN PARTRIDGE

ALAN PARTRIDGE NO LONGER REGISTERED

Kick them lanky legs

5. Breaking

Breaking One shall stand, and one shall fall.

Conor will have to close the distance to be competitive. creating distance makes no sense against an opponent with superior reach.

So no.

Edit: also, as you noted: Nate with a full camp and real sparring is going to have much better defense and reaction time. This means that Conor's single "advantage" in the first fight will simply be nonexistent in the rematch.

Nate by murder.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 15, 2016
  6. Pem123

Pem123 Red Belt

i agree, he also need to stop with his usual weird movement and back to the basic, the Diaz brother major weakness is leg kick, even his coach tell him to do that in the second round of his first fight.

his striking look solid though.

7. Streeter

Streeter Red Belt

No spinning kicks , be selective as Nate will give you openings if you wait for it. But I think he goes all out again or close to it

8. FastTracker

FastTracker Brown Belt

Also is really hard to counter nate because he doesn't throw a variety of punches, just 1-2 and jab,even more difficult because he has reach advantage, Conor needs to go and kick the shit out of Nate's legs

9. legkicktko

legkicktko Only the Strong Survive

That or wrestling are the ways to beat Nate. I don't know that Conor has it in his arsenal. At least not like an RDA or Barboza

10. cheat toes

cheat toes raising hell

nate will maul him on the ground

11. Chain Saw

He doesn't need to close the distance unless he's leading. He can slip Nates punches when Nate is coming forward and then counter, like he managed to do in their first fight.

Here are some examples of him doing just that:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In this gif, you see both. You see him counter Nate successfully, but then he gets countered himself when he tries to lead.

[​IMG]

He should stick to counterstriking. He is sharp and quick enough to counter Nate's reach, and by creating distance I mean creating distance with his kicks to the point where Nate can't keep him outside of his boxing range. So he would be either all the way in, or all the way out, not in the middle where he can't hit Nate with punches but Nate can hit him.

Conor has good side/oblique/spinning back kicks so he can use those to keep Nate at bay when he needs to catch a breath, and let Nate come to him when he wants to do real damage.

Liquid Samurai likes this.
  12. AgentOrange24

AgentOrange24 Ice Cold

The problem for Conor is actually quite simple:

He hit Nate with everything but the kitchen sink, and couldn't knock him down. Yeah, he cut up Nate. Big deal, so does everyone else Nate fights.

The Diaz brothers are decent fighters, who do a couple of things very well. They are both very beatable by strong wrestlers with solid submission defense, for example. They also both eat up power punchers with their great cardio, general toughness, and constant jab/1-2.

Conor is a good fighter, who can definitely win. But based on the first fight, and his inability to really hurt (note I said hurt, not damage) Nate, he will have a very hard time winning this fight.

13. teamfox223

teamfox223 Brown Belt

Counter game would work well here, Nate is way too active he throws too many shots for Conor to counter very soon his going to be down on the score card.

14. Chain Saw

Anybody can be hurt.

It just takes the right shot, or the right combination of shots. Conor definitely has the ability to hurt Nate if he hits him enough.

Everybody's brain shuts off when it hits their skull hard enough, and especially when its being jostled around all over the place with multiple shots.

15. conorgoat

conorgoat KOfinger is my little bitch

16. Breaking

Breaking One shall stand, and one shall fall.

With sparring time, Nate won't be so sloppy and slow. He won't be so easily countered, and he'll manage distance better.

A lot of Conor's striking success from the first fight can be easily linked to poor defense, and poor use of reach from Nate.

Putting in some sparring time will sort those problems out--and it made little difference the first time, anyway...

17. jlj49er

jlj49er Purple Belt

If I'm wrong, someone please correct me, but I haven't seen good enough defense or head movement to make me think he think he can play the counter game to Nate's volume striking.

18. Bend NvR Break

Bend NvR Break Order to Chaos. Chaos to Order.

1. Nate specifically says he started slow because he didn't have a fight camp and didn't want to burn to much energy in the first round.

2. It's not easy playing counter striker against a volume plus pressure fighter like Diaz is. Conor has to be aggressive and beat Nate to the punch. He has one round to do it in.

7th likes this.
  19. KarateYeah

KarateYeah Brown Belt

I played counter-strike in 2001, qualified and went to South Korea to play the first ever WCG (World Cyber Games).

Conor def. should play counter-strike with Nate as I doubt he knows how to play it. And I'd still murder them both if we all played. :)

20. Chain Saw

[​IMG]