Conor should just fight Gaethje

I for one would love to see that fight. My respect for Cunner would increase, just for stepping up, and even more so if he won..

A fight against Gaethje would actually show what Conor is capable of these days. Because it was a complete mismatch with Cerrone. I think they’ll make it happen in May or June.

Gaethje is not an elite level striker, he's a good match up for Conor, I don't know why Conor is ducking him.
ImpressiveDearGardensnake-size_restricted.gif

5rRThV8.gif
Here's the thing, if you asked yourself who's in line for the next title shot after Khabib/Ferguson, it's Gaethje, so if you defeat Gaethje you essentially are next in line.

In other words, if McGregor defeated Gaethje, there's no one ahead in line for the next title shot and it'd quell the majority of the people complaining about McGregor.

Conor is a terrible style match for Gathje. Plodding forward wading through strikes is not great style for beating a precision striker. On a style by style basis I think Gathje would do beter with Khabib or Tony.

For Conor's part I think a Gathje fight wouldn't do much to appease the hardcore fans. They'll start saying this favors Conor and dragging Gathje's record through the mud to avoid giving Conor any credit. The casuals don't really know Gathje all the well so they will treat it like Conor fighting some jobber/journeyman. The risk/reward is totally lobsided.

I was gonna say Conor wins this one but then I saw that Gaethje has a win by RNC early in his career.

Now I think Gaethje by sub...

Conor will beat him up pretty badly. His chin is nowhere near Diaz'es, Justin will be lucky to exit the first round.

High Risk

Low Reward

I want to see the fight personally, but from Conrad’s perspective it’s a chancy gamble, yes it would earn him a TS, but there are other avenues to the belt. Like Frankie Edgar or Uriah Faber...LoL
{<jordan}

Conor is not ducking him. He lost to two guys that Conor obliterated.

Also, fights vs Khabib, Masvidal, and Diaz are much more appealing monetarily for him and also to the vast majority of fans.

Monetarily yes, but I have no interest in a 3rd Diaz fight. Been there; done that.

If Conor is the man, then finish Gaethje off if it’s that easy. He’d still make good money as his legitimacy would only be strengthened.

Because win, lose or draw, there’s a strong chance Gaethje takes years off your life expectancy when you sign to fight him.

Could Conor crack him and stop him? Sure, that’s plausible.. but like the UFC’s very own Shylock, Gaethje is likely to grab a pound of flesh before he goes down.

Yep look at Eddie Alvarez. Beat Geadjthe but took a ton of damage and got knocked out in his next two fights. Eddie had only been finished twice in his entire career before that fight.

Gaethje is not a great striker just has a great chin to set-up his strikes.

Eh, his chin isn't that great. He has a combination of power, leg kicks and non-stop pressure (before he gasses) that makes a lot of fighters fold. It worked perfectly vs. shopworn guys like Cerrone and Barboza but not so well vs. Eddie Alvarez and Poirier. I think a technical striker with a good chin (like Conor) can navigate and weather his early storm and beat him.

I would bet my life on it conor is not ducking Justin.
lets say he had a few choices for a return fight and his thinking was which fight makes the most money and gives me the most attention. cowboy to me is the obvious pick. Justin is entertaining but he doesn't sell the same.
I'm pretty positive conor looks at Justin and sees it as a tough fight but a sure win. This fight will happen for sure as long as Justin doesn't lose anytime soon to someone else.

Yep look at Eddie Alvarez. Beat Geadjthe but took a ton of damage and got knocked out in his next two fights. Eddie had only been finished twice in his entire career before that fight.

Or look at Conor who finished Eddie and made him look stupid while hardly taking any damage. Which is better? Eddie is pretty much a brawler like Gaethje.

It's a tough fight. It's nearly impossible to get Gaethje out of there early, so once it hits the 3rd or 4th it would get interesting with Gaethje's nonstop forward pressure. shrug.

Conor's cardio may be suspect, but Gaethje has only made it to the 4th round once and he was finished in that fight. If anything, the championship round favor Conor.

Mma math dont work idk why everyone counting out Gaethje. If its such an easy fight run that shit. He said so last july dont duck Gaethje for his sloppy seconds

Or look at Conor who finished Eddie and made him look stupid while hardly taking any damage. Which is better? Eddie is pretty much a brawler like Gaethje.

? I think you missed my point entirely.

Conor doesn’t take fights he knows he’ll lose. Gay-chee finishes Conor with ease.

Said a prayer, just now, for your small mind.

I don't believe in God.

Conor's cardio may be suspect, but Gaethje has only made it to the 4th round once and he was finished in that fight. If anything, the championship round favor Conor.

I think its more about comparing their pace. Conor is pretty selective in his output. Gaedjthe fights every fight like its the end of his life. In the Poirier and Alvarez fights he threw 120 strikes. Against Johnson as well.

If you look at McGregor, his output is vastly lower (except the second Nate fight) . He only had 53 strikes against Holloway over 3 rounds and 61 in the first Diaz fight.

? I think you missed my point entirely.

Not really. I'm saying Conor could do the same thing he did to Eddie if he fought Justin. No guarantees, but we haven't seen Gaethje against a striker of Conor's caliber yet.

Back