CONOR QUOTE: Opponent just being an illusion?

why wont ronda fight cyborg then

Because when Cyborg was offered Ronda she literally said no and demanded to fight 3 other girls instead.

This is a great quote, I shared this with a guy I know about to have his first fight and doesn't know who the opponent will be yet.

Wow so deep, such insight - jaden smith would be proud.

Heard conor was inspired by this quote:

"How Can Mirrors Be Real If Our Eyes Aren't Real"

And he now spars blindfolded.

Thanks for posting this!

This is what I'm thinking as well. How can your opponent NOT matter? Even if all of your opponents are equally rated 10 out of 10 in quality, different opponents have different abilities: you'd fight Anderson Silva differently than Cain Velasquez just because they have different abilities in striking and wrestling.

I think it's more a reference to the fact that in the end, your mentality is often the biggest factor in your success. In anything in life, not just fighting. Each different opponent really only brings out a different side of YOU that you have to understand/be comfortable with. For example, Conor is stronger on the feet than on the ground. However, when he fought Mendes, Conor was forced to face himself (his weakness on the ground, his possible insecurities in being there). How he handled the situation, how he handled his emotions/feelings, is what mattered.

Its a philosophical line meaning you train yourself to be your best and not to fight a specific opponent. The real opponent is actually achieving your best and not the physical opponent in the ring. The opponent in the ring is just an illusion because you only have you to blame for not achieving your best.

If he keeps winning the fights and say this is his mentality then I guess this is true, every sport that involves the mental processes is highly dependent on the pre-visualization of what you gonna do, anticipation, if your mind can understand what your opponent can do and what to expect from him you surely have a huge advantage. Visualizing the opponent as an illusion is a form of being confident.

Its a philosophical line meaning you train yourself to be your best and not to fight a specific opponent. The real opponent is actually achieving your best and not the physical opponent in the ring. The opponent in the ring is just an illusion because you only have you to blame for not achieving your best.

Thanks a lot for your insight! That makes a lot of sense. So Conor's quote is more a "general way to think of things" and not a way to apply it specifically to everything?

Conor seems to have a really strong mindset. Does anyone have another video where Conor says some more motivational quotes?

Thank you!

"Essentially the opponent is an illusion in there," McGregor said. "It's you versus you, so it doesn't matter who is across from me July 11."
Some pompous shit

Have you guys ever done something with such a perfection? Anything, like being invincible on a video-game, any type of competition, playing an instrument, I dunno, maybe even flawlessly-quickly walking down a stair, it becomes something automated, it resembles an illusion, it's like it already happened before you do it.

I find Conor's quote great about how I'm my fighting against myself and not the guy I'm fighting, BUT did Conor ever say something like:
Yourself = 90%
Your Opponent = 10%

Connor will know the difference between real and illusion when that tiger tatoo he has across his stomache is kicked off.

He's right, it doesn't matter if you're fighting Junior Dos Santos or a 5 year old girl, it's all the same, you vs yourself.

12818782.gif

Not at that level imo. Aldo is too damn good. I pick Conor to win but it wont be easy at all.

I find Conor's quote great about how I'm my fighting against myself and not the guy I'm fighting, BUT did Conor ever say something like:
Yourself = 90%
Your Opponent = 10%

Could someone please PM me if Conor ever speaks about this?

Hello everyone, I've been searching for this all over Youtube and the Sherdog forums, but I haven't had much success.

I've been impressed with Conor's fighting style and his physical ability like his striking, but what REALLY impresses me more than anything else is the way in which he approaches life. I'd LOVE to watch an interview where Conor goes into depth about how he perceives life and his philosophy for life. Even something where Conor talks about which books made a big impact on his philosophy for life would be really great!

I thought this topic deserved its own thread because it's got so much potential to be a big discussion.

Hello everyone, I've been searching for this all over Youtube and the Sherdog forums, but I haven't had much success.

I've been impressed with Conor's fighting style and his physical ability like his striking, but what REALLY impresses me more than anything else is the way in which he approaches life. I'd LOVE to watch an interview where Conor goes into depth about how he perceives life and his philosophy for life. Even something where Conor talks about which books made a big impact on his philosophy for life would be really great!

I thought this topic deserved its own thread because it's got so much potential to be a big discussion.

Not much info out there so far, I posted the same a couple of hours ago.
http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/conor-mcgregor-books-readings.3184697/

Great thread i have Conor to thank for my change around in life as of the last few months and i feel great for it check out this link and follow the parts enjoy !

Last edited:
Back