CONOR QUOTE: Opponent just being an illusion?

Hi all, I remember watching a video on Youtube where Conor says something like "The opponent is just an illusion." I've tried searching Youtube, but I haven't been able to find it... I'm pretty sure it was a video uploaded by the UFC.

I'm really interested in it because Conor's mental game is just so damn unique compared to every other fighter!

Thank you.

Solipsism the theory that the self is the only thing to exist and everything is else just something your mind has created to test you

I think there fore I am everything else is open to interpretation

Solipsism the theory that the self is the only thing to exist and everything is else just something your mind has created to test you

I think there fore I am everything else is open to interpretation

Thanks! That helps a bit, but how can your opponent not matter? In terms of preparing for Velasquez or Anderson...

Okay, could you help me understand?

Thanks. I guess this makes some sense.

"I think the crux of the point is to focus on yourself. In theory, if you fight perfectly you can beat anyone (assuming you're on the relative same level of skill/athleticism). In a sense, the challenge of fighting perfectly means the true "opponent" is the act of making an error. Since you'd be the one making an error, it's in a sense fighting against yourself."

I think the context of the quote is about heart more than skill etc. When your in there you are fighting your own mind the whole time because your tired and hurt and you just gotta keep pushing.

He's right, it doesn't matter if you're fighting Junior Dos Santos or a 5 year old girl, it's all the same, you vs yourself.

Of course it's not always exactly the same but what he's really saying is that if you're good the only person who will defeat you is you because if you're mentally strong you will probably prevail.

That's what most people on here don't realize, fighting is probably about 80% mental.

This. It's solipsistic bullshit.

I have no idea what that means.

yeah, that or the guy that is much better than you. It's a terrible quote.

Obviously the skill of your opponent is a factor, but you are a bigger factor. You control your diet, your training, how you react to things, how you respond to pressure. Why do you thing so many people hire sports psychologists and that kind of thing?

I've known this since Rocky IV.

Burning Heart theme song lyrics -
In the warrious code
There's no surrender
Though his body says stop
His spirit cries, never!
Deep in our soul
A quiet ember
Know it's you against you
It's the paradox
That drives us on

Conor is so deep that when Cain heard about this he didnt gas

Does Conor really follow this??? Where has he said this?

He hasn't explicitly said he follows it, he said in a video somewhere that he "collects" motivational/inspirational quotes and sayings from different books and people, whatever they may be.

This is marketing 101. He trains just like all the others for different fighter styles.

He said himself that he was training for a striker and not a wrestler, and that this was why chad was able to take him down.

Don't fall for the line of horseshit. I'm positive Chad would still have taken him down had he trained for him solely with a full camp. A focused camp is not going to change his lack of defensive wrestling. Other than Chad, Conor hasn't really faced a someone with great offensive wrestling and that's why he hasn't been taken down much. His boxing is stellar, but his defensive wrestling game needs a lot of work. The guy is a very good fighter, but he has many of you drinking the koolaid with anything he spouts.

He hasn't explicitly said he follows it, he said in a video somewhere that he "collects" motivational/inspirational quotes and sayings from different books and people, whatever they may be.

Hi, your PM box is full.

What has me really baffled is this:

How can Conor know what's going to happen in a fight? He could get KOed and look like a fool in front of the whole world so how can he be so confident?

Back