CONOR QUOTE: Opponent just being an illusion?

Footwork333

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Hi all, I remember watching a video on Youtube where Conor says something like "The opponent is just an illusion." I've tried searching Youtube, but I haven't been able to find it... I'm pretty sure it was a video uploaded by the UFC.

I'm really interested in it because Conor's mental game is just so damn unique compared to every other fighter!

Thank you.

"Essentially the opponent is an illusion in there," McGregor said. "It's you versus you, so it doesn't matter who is across from me July 11."

That's a good quote and very true. A lot of the time the only one who can defeat you is yourself.

He's right, it doesn't matter if you're fighting Junior Dos Santos or a 5 year old girl, it's all the same, you vs yourself.

The opponent as the illusion is a very good line

It's all a part of this, the Law of Attraction. Conor is religious about it. [YT]watch?v=aE5-iFKBMIo[/YT]

"Essentially the opponent is an illusion in there," McGregor said. "It's you versus you, so it doesn't matter who is across from me July 11."

4:50 into this video is something similar.

I dunno whether it's what you're looking for. It's from The Time Is Now press conference.

Thanks for posting this!

He's right, it doesn't matter if you're fighting Junior Dos Santos or a 5 year old girl, it's all the same, you vs yourself.

This is what I'm thinking as well. How can your opponent NOT matter? Even if all of your opponents are equally rated 10 out of 10 in quality, different opponents have different abilities: you'd fight Anderson Silva differently than Cain Velasquez just because they have different abilities in striking and wrestling.

Oh lord. Get off Conor's nuts. Athletes from every sport imaginable have been saying the same thing since the beginning of time. He's not fucking Confucius for christ's sake.

I think the crux of the point is to focus on yourself. In theory, if you fight perfectly you can beat anyone (assuming you're on the relative same level of skill/athleticism). In a sense, the challenge of fighting perfectly means the true "opponent" is the act of making an error. Since you'd be the one making an error, it's in a sense fighting against yourself. This only qualifies for the best of the best though. If I fought Werdum I could fight perfectly and would still get murdered.

Thanks for posting this!

This is what I'm thinking as well. How can your opponent NOT matter? Even if all of your opponents are equally rated 10 out of 10 in quality, different opponents have different abilities: you'd fight Anderson Silva differently than Cain Velasquez just because they have different abilities in striking and wrestling.

You have completely missed the point.

More fighters would benefit from worrying less about the "who" and focusing on what they can control.

Explains why all the connor fans were upset when aldo became mendes and connor did not have enough time to train TDD before the fight....

Sometimes when I'm kicking my own ass, I wonder why I'm doing it...then I realize that damn, only I can defeat myself...that's why I'm kicking my own ass...Tyler Durbin taught me that.

I pretend I'm fighting Gerbils, I run and scream at them. Then I lay down and laugh myself to sleep.

These are the kinds of things people like to say to sound deep, and sometimes even feel deep, without knowing what they are actually talking about.

Edit: Obviously posted that in the wrong thread.

On topic: Conor at home =

whak.com_funny_advertisement_face_punch_fight_club.gif

Back