Conor opponents get TKO/KO with punches didnt look that hard or powerful, here is why

Conor clearly hits damn hard, but he throws punches with much better form than the average mma fighter.

We're more used to seeing wild hooks as 'Big punches'.

Some idiot was calling the Siver shot a 'jab' the other day.

The Poirer shot was to the temple and as much as I like Dustin, he gets wobbled on the regular.

Siver was beaten down badly by the time that one went down the middle and Brandao isn't really known for heart.

Holy hell you ignorant dorks. He hurts people because he lands his shots cleanly and has good striking mechanics. He doesn't hit "ridiculously hard" and he's certainly not "crazy strong" he's a talented striker that knows how to put his punches on people's faces.

Accuracy, speed and precision with good power for the weight class makes him deadly. You can tell his opponents want out when they feel his power. Max is as game as they come and he looked scared after the first few exchanges, same with Poirier, as soon as McGregor landed that clean hook he had Dustin back tracking and just covering up with a high guard.

I don't think it's just talk when he says it's a whole different ball game when he lands.

It's that and I also think they have no damn clue what is coming next. They have absolutely no feel for the fight. That's why Conor was able to telegraph that last straight on Siver; Denis was so clueless what was going to come he just shelled up and hoped to absorb a shot so he would know what to do next.

Aldo will certainly command more control of the fight than any of these guys, but if a fighter can't impose their game immediately Conor will paralyze them with indecision.

Max and other have survived. Conor has heavy hands but remember that Dustin has a questionable chin and Brandao has a questionable heart, as for Siver, he legit got beat up.

It's because he has crazy speed and accuracy and so generates a lot of force. Check out this pretty cool video:

He's got fantastic technique and makes use of straight punches, etc.

He doesn't need huge power because he's using his muscle groups properly, and using more muscle groups then somebody with poor technique. Specifically, straight punches use a lot of the chest and back muscles which are some of the larger muscle groups.

This man is a striking genious. Deal with it. A real threat to Aldo.

Absolutely, we are truly in for a spectacle of striking of the highest caliber when they fight.

I haven't been this excited for a title fight since Shogun/Machida.

He is loose and relaxed, his punches are straight, and most important of all, he puts his hip into them.

In other words, he has good technique and timing.
Plus he has knockout power.

Most of the boxing in MMA is poor as compared to elite boxers.

Holy hell you ignorant dorks. He hurts people because he lands his shots cleanly and has good striking mechanics. He doesn't hit "ridiculously hard" and he's certainly not "crazy strong" he's a talented striker that knows how to put his punches on people's faces.

The "good striking mechanics" is what makes him hit "ridiculously hard".

Poirier got hit cleanly in the most vulnerable part of the head, if you know anything about the fight game you'd know why he went down.

As for the two others, both had taken a huge amount of damage already and the final strike before they went down (body kick for Brandao, the straight left for Siver) was just the thing to make them quit and go into turtling mode.

He is loose and relaxed, his punches are straight, and most important of all, he puts his hip into them.

Word!

He's got fantastic technique and makes use of straight punches, etc.

He doesn't need huge power because he's using his muscle groups properly, and using more muscle groups then somebody with poor technique. Specifically, straight punches use a lot of the chest and back muscles which are some of the larger muscle groups.

Yeah this correct, those hooks and straight punches look like they have quite a bit of push to them also which comes form the whole body being behind the punch.

It is probably a combination of prior damage and even glancing shots can be dangerous. These also are people not exactly known for taking big shots either. I also think there is the possibility these fighters are just in it for a paycheck at that point. I am not saying they took a dive but if they decided they were outmatched they simply decided after taking some hard shots that they would go down at the next opportunity since they aren't getting a win bonus and might as well just collect their money and call it a night.

I was/am a big fan of Chael and even bought into his story in the beginning how his dad raised him to never accept anything but success and how he took no moral victory from almost beating Silva and losing that fight made him feel like a failure and etc, etc. I was thinking at the time, damn his father must have done a Todd Marinovich on him. But then it became clear after that was all public persona and once he realized a fight was out of reach he had no problem turtling up and taking a check. It is the smart thing to do really. Definitely worse than simply not letting someone break your arm instead of submitting as i think that is just misplaced pride and would never allow someone to take away my ability to earn a living in a sanctioned prize fight but it is in the ballpark. If it was a street-fight or a fight where the safety of others is on the line it would be different. In an MMA fight, there is nothing more to be gained at that point. I'd rather go out swinging but we are talking brain damage in KOs and it is easy to tell someone else they shoudl feel that way too when the person telling them that isn't the one taking the shots.

In any event, I think the probable answer is all 3. They took some hard shots already, the grazing shots still hurt, and they simply decided at that point they had enough.

He has great boxing technique, and his opponents know when to go down

Jsut playin :D

Max and other have survived. Conor has heavy hands but remember that Dustin has a questionable chin and Brandao has a questionable heart, as for Siver, he legit got beat up.

The only person to survive Conor is Holloway, so there aren't "others". The one guy he finished by submission was already getting hurt badly by his punches and got knocked down from a head kick (Dave Hill).

As for his power, this has been discussed a lot already. He has heavy hands, obviously. He doesn't have to even hit a fighter clean to drop them or even knock them out. His accuracy, hand speed, timing and technique also play a big role together. Though many of you guys are confusing technique for something it isn't. Technique enhances the power/force of the strike, in this case punch, so either way it just translates to more energy transfer = power/force when it connects. When it connects there's no difference because force is force, it doesn't differentiate between how that force was created whatsoever.

This, sadly.

He's like Machida in that his accuracy is scary, not particularly power. Technique trumps throwing your weight forward with everything you've got into an overhand right ala Roy Nelaonw.

The ones that look weird are because he's landing on the temple. Getting hit in the temple doesn't work like a normal knockdown. If you've ever been hit there you're still mostly aware, but you forget which way is up.

Back