Conor never fought against an opponent that avoided the standup match.

The defense is the same as always for Conor, don't be in the position where an ankle grab is possible, easier said than done, but i'm sure that will be the plan.

Here's a question for you, what happens if the first time Khabib lunges in for a takedown and Conor clips him, I'm not talking about KO'ing him, but a solid clip that historically has made guys become a bit timid when exchanging or going for takedowns against Conor?

That's just as likely to happen as your scenario, Khabib has shown a tendency to lunge from a long way out on occasion, that will be dangerous against someone as pinpoint as Conor.

I don't believe he will fight like that. I can clearly see that he strategy will be to shot as low as possible. If he can get the takedown good if not he already have a grab and then he can use his Sambo to take him down in multiple different ways.

That's #1 bullshit. How come Mendez pressure and scream at him to follow the strategy and stop with the striking bullshit. So you was able to see that Khabib was gassed but not his coach? WTF?
o_O

I thought everyone was able to see Khabib gas against Al, it was quite glaring in my opinion.

I don't believe he will fight like that. I can clearly see that he strategy will be to shot as low as possible. If he can get the takedown good if not he already have a grab and then he can use his Sambo to take him down in multiple different ways.
You act like Conor moves like Al?

I'm not saying Khabib wont get any takedowns, but I don't see what you describe working on Conor, he just wont be anywhere nearly as easy to get hold of, Al is a very slow rigid fighter, Conor is not.

And if he's close enough to grab Conor, he's close enough to take a left right across the chin.

Last edited:
You act like Conor moves like Al?

I'm not saying Khabib wont get any takedowns, but I don't see what you describe working on Conor, he just wont be anywhere nearly as easy top get hold of, Al is a very slow rigid fighter, Conor is not.

And if he's close enough to grab Conor, he's close enough to take a left right across the chin.

So Conor TDD is better than AL? I highly doubt it.
How can you target a left right across the chin when the chin at a height of your knee?

It's fun to make noise about how sure you are, and so I get what you're doing, but both these guys are good enough at what they do. Really good. Just wait and see you have no idea what's gonna happen.

o_O

I thought everyone was able to see Khabib gas against Al, it was quite glaring in my opinion.

Everyone? I didn't know that. Not even highly critical Rogan that night mentioned anything like that.

This is what's more interesting-

For anyone who's trained/competed in MMA or wrestling - you know how to do a good sprawl when a guy shoots in on you. Now think of how you would throw an uppercut (or an uppercut-style hook).

Two completely different, mutually exclusive movements. If you decide to punch, you can't really sprawl in time. Vice versa. So for all these guys saying Conor will hit Khabib on the way in, he better knock him out on literally the first punch, because if he goes for a punch he's 100% going to be on his back. And he won't get up unless the ref or bell saves him.
Have you yourself not trained? Even if he doesn’t knock him out, if his hand lands he’s going to disrupt khabibs shot, push himself back, and can simultaneously sprawl out of the punch. I mean.......come on

This is what's more interesting-

For anyone who's trained/competed in MMA or wrestling - you know how to do a good sprawl when a guy shoots in on you. Now think of how you would throw an uppercut (or an uppercut-style hook).

Two completely different, mutually exclusive movements. If you decide to punch, you can't really sprawl in time. Vice versa. So for all these guys saying Conor will hit Khabib on the way in, he better knock him out on literally the first punch, because if he goes for a punch he's 100% going to be on his back. And he won't get up unless the ref or bell saves him.
Yep. You defend takedowns first, strike second. Striking while someone's trying to take you down, generally results in a takedown. There are exceptions of course.

this will be his first big test against a grappler / wrestler. the mendes fight is hard to count because the size difference was so bad (esp the reach).

gas may have had something to do with it with mendes, but i'm in the camp that says that was mainly due to damage, that mendes looked slow because he'd been eating too many shots.

Desperate is not synonymous of dumb. You can be smart desperate

From what I saw of his striking in his last fight, being desperate for takedowns is going to be a recipe for disaster. He better be bringing more to the table than that.

The defense is the same as always for Conor, don't be in the position where an ankle grab is possible, easier said than done, but i'm sure that will be the plan.

Here's a question for you, what happens if the first time Khabib lunges in for a takedown and Conor clips him, I'm not talking about KO'ing him, but a solid clip that historically has made guys become a bit timid when exchanging or going for takedowns against Conor?

That's just as likely to happen as your scenario, Khabib has shown a tendency to lunge from a long way out on occasion, that will be dangerous against someone as pinpoint as Conor.

This guy here is smart.. excellent breakdown..

How can you target a left right across the chin when the chin at a height of your knee?
Better, worse?

It doesn't matter, what matters is that it's very different from Al's, Conor's ability to control the distance will make it far more dangerous for Khabib to play his usual game...

I can just see it now, Conor sparks him out and we'll be met with a bunch of threads asking why Khabib didn't fight like he usually does, just like we got with Eddie and Aldo...

These reason is they don't usually fight Conor.

Better, worse?

It doesn't matter, what matters is that it's very different from Al's, Conor's ability to control the distance will make it far more dangerous for Khabib to play his usual game...

I can just see it now, Conor sparks him out and we'll be met with a bunch of threads asking why Khabib didn't fight like he usually does, just like we got with Eddie and Aldo...

These reason is they don't usually fight Conor.

I am on same boat with you. Khabib doesn't have any chance to rush for takedown straight from beginning like some people think and if he does it will be all she wrote under minute.

He is a much better overall fighter than Al. That is the point. Conor McGregor is a very intelligent and skillful fighther. He is also incredibly dangerous on the feet. That fight with Eddie he laid traps for him. He suckered him into coming in so he could counter and knock him out. In no way is the game plan going to be a simple one. Just rush in and grab a hold of Conor McGregor. I’m telling you it’s not going to work.

Everyone? I didn't know that. Not even highly critical Rogan that night mentioned anything like that.
Maybe you should go rewatch the fight, Khabib was struggling for air at the end of round 2, as I said he got away with it coz Al had already took a beating and was also gassed.

It's not even an knock on him, just pointing out that Khabib has on more than one occasion be running on empty in the Octagon so the assumption that Conor will need to win inside 2 is false for me.

Maybe you should go rewatch the fight, Khabib was struggling for air at the end of round 2, as I said he got away with it coz Al had already took a beating and was also gassed.

It's not even an knock on him, just pointing out that Khabib has on more than one occasion be running on empty in the Octagon so the assumption that Conor will need to win inside 2 is false for me.

Someone started a thread last night that asked the question, can Conor McGregor win this fight by decision? I still think that is a longshot but I could see a scenario where Khabib has a very hard head. He’s been blasted and hurt bad enough that his wrestling is no longer a big factor and he simply being beat up on the feet in the later rounds. Unlikely but still possible. In my experience in these huge fights something unexpected very often happens. We all break it down like we know exactly how it’s going to go but usually there is a surprise. That’s why we watch. We don’t really know.

Someone started a thread last night that asked the question, can Conor McGregor win this fight by decision? I still think that is a longshot but I could see a scenario where Khabib has a very hard head. He’s been blasted and hurt bad enough that his wrestling is no longer a big factor and he simply being beat up on the feet in the later rounds. Unlikely but still possible. In my experience in these huge fights something unexpected very often happens. We all break it down like we know exactly how it’s going to go but usually there is a surprise. That’s why we watch. We don’t really know.
Agreed, odds are if Conor's gonna win it'll be a stoppage inside 3, but it could look like McGregor vs Alvarez, but if Khabib has a hell of a chin it could be a 5 round beating, or a back and forth fight with a mix of grappling and striking.

The gas tank issue is completely overblown in my opinion, the circumstances seem to be completely ignored.

Agreed, odds are if Conor's gonna win it'll be a stoppage inside 3, but it could look like McGregor vs Alvarez, but if Khabib has a hell of a chin it could be a 5 round beating, or a back and forth fight with a mix of grappling and striking.

The gas tank issue is completely overblown in my opinion, the circumstances seem to be completely ignored.
Conor has had 24 fights and never finished anyone past the second round. That includes all the bums, midgets and non wrestlers he's faced while Khabib is an energy vampire who's going to make him wither.

He's got two rounds of punching power at best.

Pretty sure Mendes took him down at will until he gassed. Had he not been coming off a bender, it would have been 5 rounds of that. And Conor tried to take Diaz down, then got choked.

Conor is really good. Great stand up, good takedown defense. But he has also had the benefit of favorable matchups for the most part. However, he capitalized on those and should get plenty of credit for it. Except Diaz. He got merc’d by Diaz, then squeezed out a decision in which everyone knew all he had to do was survive 5 rounds and the judges would give it to him.
"Took him down at will"

NCAA All American Mendes went 4 for 7 on Conor with some of those being deeeep shots.

57% sure isnt at will.

9mWhRb.gif

Back