Conor McGregor's Top 3 Fighters of All Time.

For the McGregor naysayers, I'll give you 2 examples of young fighters that were different and I thought might be able to be all time greats: Prince Naseem Hamed and Zab Judah. Both guys were elite counterpunchers with incredible speed and power. Neither had a chin and Hamed was a quitter. I think Conor is on a different level though. He has a chin and he's already faced adversity.

His competition has been subpar. It's easier to get away with dropping your hands when you're fighting guys who don't know how to make you pay for it.

Like most great counterpunchers, McGregor drops his hand for a reason. It's the same reason he throws quick front kicks and sticks his chin in the air. He's baiting. He's dictating his opponents reactions to he can counterpunch. It's beautiful.

His competition has been subpar. It's easier to get away with dropping your hands when you're fighting guys who don't know how to make you pay for it.

For a striker: Ideally low hands are superior to a traditional boxing defence in MMA [If you have the footwork, reflexes and ring IQ to match].

A higher defence increases the danger of the takedown and hints at the type of strikes you're going to utilise.

Low hands aren't an attempt to be flashy. For a lot of fighters, low hands are specific to their success as a fighter.

As an example a guy like Weidman will have more of a traditional striking defence because:

A.) His striking isn't elite &
b.) Wrestling is his offence. He doesn't need to be baiting opponents with an array of strikes. He just capitalises on the openings his wrestling creates whilst minimising any damage with a high defence.

A guy like Conor will typically have lower hands, not because he's disrespecting his opponent but because his success relies on keeping the fight standing. His strikes are also able to come from a variety of unorthodox angles increasing his threat on the feet.

A strong wrestling threat 'may' make him pay for it but most of the strikers at 145lb or 155lb won't.

Like most great counterpunchers, McGregor drops his hand for a reason. It's the same reason he throws quick front kicks and sticks his chin in the air. He's baiting. He's dictating his opponents reactions to he can counterpunch. It's beautiful.

I know what he's doing and why he's doing it, but he has yet to fight a guy who also has good boxing, his last two opponents both leave holes that any decent striker would capitalize on.

Dont waste your time, most MMA fans dont understand counter punching or baiting people.

in17DZhzdeBAi.gif

Love it. Another one:

3c6d3f5a569d077961c56547852fd287.jpg

Ideally low hands are superior to a traditional boxing defence in MMA [If you have the footwork, reflexes and ring IQ to match].

In some ways that's true. Foot placement matters a lot more when it comes to stuffing taledowns.

A higher defence increases the danger of the takedown and hints at the type of strikes you're going to utilize.

A lower defense increases the chances of you getting cracked in the jaw. Like I said, foot placement and balance can be just as if not more important for stuffing TDs. Generally speaking, the wider your base is when your opponent shoots, the easier it will be to remain standing. Keeping your hands low also increases the chance of you getting hit with a punch when your opponent shoots in on you, which in turn can throw off your balance and lead to you getting taken down regardless of your hands being better positioned to grab underhooks.

Low hands aren't an attempt to be flashy. For a lot of fighters, low hands are specific to their success as a fighter.

Fighters who are known for keeping their hands low are typically very hard to hit (guys like Anderson and Lyoto), so they get away with constantly exposing their jawline. The reason Anderson got KO'd by Weidman is because his stance was too squared, he stopped moving his feet, and his hands were down, giving him no way to parry Weidman's left hook since his head and foot movement weren't enough in that instance.

As an example a guy like Weidman will have more of a traditional striking defence because:

A.) His striking isn't elite &
b.) Wrestling is his offence. He doesn't need to be baiting opponents with an array of strikes. He just capitalises on the openings his wrestling creates whilst minimising any damage with a high defence.
A guy like Conor will typically have lower hands, not because he's disrespecting his opponent but because his success relies on keeping the fight standing. His strikes are also able to come from a variety of unorthodox angles increasing his threat on the feet.

A strong wrestling threat 'may' make him pay for it but most of the strikers at 145lb or 155lb won't.

Keeping your hands low is dangerous regardless of how good you are. Anderson had the best head movement in the business and still got KO'd partially due to the way he was carrying his hands.

Anderson got knocked out because he got lazy and complacent. It happens to the best. His time was done.

Anderson got knocked out because he got lazy and complacent. It happens to the best. His time was done.

It was mostly due to the way he was moving his feet. Pretty much every time Weidman caught him throughout the fight was when Anderson just stood still and relied on upper body movement to save him, when he was actually moving his feet, Weidman had a hard time hitting him. The combo that lead to the KO punch is a good example of that. Both times Anderson got caught in that instance were when he stopped his foot movement.

chris-weidman-anderson-silva-knockout-gif.gif

Weidman landed two solid shots there (in the stand up, not when Silva got floored), the rest just grazed Silva's face.

Dont waste your time, most MMA fans dont understand counter punching or baiting people.

I'm fairly knowledgeable about it. Doesn't change the fact that Conor hasn't fought a decent boxer.

Strange list. I`m surprised he didn`t nominate himself.

Jarl

Seems like an odd list, but what can anyone say to it? It's his list.

Mine is:

1. Achilles
2. David in his prime (circa Goliath and a few years afterwards)
3. Maximus the Spaniard

I reckon my guys beat his 9/10

I wish there was a like button for this

Back