Conor McGregor's fav technique (GIF heavy)

I don't think there was every a time when his game was mainly focused on counters. He's always been a pressure fighter, who likes to counter too. Many of his knockouts involve him walking the other guy down.

Absolutely true. Maybe I did not make it clear but what I meant is that he used to use that pressure as a tool to make his opponents attack/commit/open and then he would counter. He would rather wait for his rival to initiate than do it himself - but by pressuring them he was forcing them to do that.

Quite the opposite way of countering from what Machida was doing for many years.

Yeah, you can get a lot of power into your shot if swung the proper way like that, all your weight into the shot. In street fights people just swing wildly but you can easily pout somebody out with proper technique like that. Just let them come at you, take a step back and throw a real punch, lol. Believe me I've fought many drunken native peoples in my area.. a couple youtube videos and practice and already you can take em all out LOL

Lol you from valleyview?

his favorite technique
sausage-girl.gif

Absolutely true. Maybe I did not make it clear but what I meant is that he used to use that pressure as a tool to make his opponents attack/commit/open and then he would counter. He would rather wait for his rival to initiate than do it himself - but by pressuring them he was forcing them to do that.

Quite the opposite way of countering from what Machida was doing for many years.

Even still, he's been about 50/50 with engaging vs baiting. If the other guy looks like he wants to throw back, McGregor will counter. Then when the other guy is more hesitant, Conor will initiate. He's getting more fond of leading as guys keep wilting under his power, too.

We shall see. Like I said watch he is gonna get caught just like I said. Btw who is he fighting in them gifs? Not anyone top caliber. Let him put his hands behind his back and play the funny shit. Anderson Silva is a great example. He is light years ahead of Connor and he got caught acting silly. He is 10x the boxer Connor is. Everybody gets caught and he will not be an exception. You get away with it for awhile and then boom, your looking up at the lights. I wish the best for Connor, but if he don't fix that hole then he is gonna get caught, I'm telling you. Idc if he is walking forwards, backwards sideways, he will eventually pay the price for it.

Look at Prince Naseem Hamed. He fought with his hands down, worked angles like nobody I've ever seen but then he ran into Antonio Barrera. He didn't get knocked out cause he had a chin of iron, but he got caught so so many times in that fight. Naz use to make people look like fools when they tried to hit him. He had such great movement (100x better then Connors), but there is always that guy who will exploit that fault.

Before you call me a hater or w/e these young people call it these days, I'm far from it. As I have posted many times in other threads, I have respect for every man/woman who step in the cage and fight. Anyways I was just adding my 2 cents to the thread. Best of luck too both men on Sunday!

All I'm saying is he keeps that up, I bet my house on it that he gets caught. If his chin holds up now that is another story.

We shall see. Like I said watch he is gonna get caught just like I said. Btw who is he fighting in them gifs? Not anyone top caliber. Let him put his hands behind his back and play the funny shit. Anderson Silva is a great example. He is light years ahead of Connor and he got caught acting silly. He is 10x the boxer Connor is. Everybody gets caught and he will not be an exception. You get away with it for awhile and then boom, your looking up at the lights. I wish the best for Connor, but if he don't fix that hole then he is gonna get caught, I'm telling you. Idc if he is walking forwards, backwards sideways, he will eventually pay the price for it.

Look at Prince Naseem Hamed. He fought with his hands down, worked angles like nobody I've ever seen but then he ran into Antonio Barrera. He didn't get knocked out cause he had a chin of iron, but he got caught so so many times in that fight. Naz use to make people look like fools when they tried to hit him. He had such great movement (100x better then Connors), but there is always that guy who will exploit that fault.

Before you call me a hater or w/e these young people call it these days, I'm far from it. As I have posted many times in other threads, I have respect for every man/woman who step in the cage and fight. Anyways I was just adding my 2 cents to the thread. Best of luck too both men on Sunday!

All I'm saying is he keeps that up, I bet my house on it that he gets caught. If his chin holds up now that is another story.

Lol shut up old man. His hands aren't down he is countering after they have thrown

Unbeatable GOAT.

Unless he's in an arm triangle for more than 500 milliseconds.

I don't go around calling people haters, don't worry. But your prediction is kind of useless. You're basically saying that eventually he's gonna get caught. Like you said, it happens to everyone. But it won't suddenly be because his hands aren't up. Silva didn't get caught because his hands weren't up. He got caught because he was leaning back to defend against a guy who knew how to cut off his angles, move in diagonally and thus could reach him. Silva got beat at the distance game, not the "hands up" game.

It's way oversimplifying to say he'll get caught because his hands are down. Everyone drops their hands. That's the lowest level of analysis.

I don't go around calling people haters, don't worry. But your prediction is kind of useless. You're basically saying that eventually he's gonna get caught. Like you said, it happens to everyone. But it won't suddenly be because his hands aren't up. Silva didn't get caught because his hands weren't up. He got caught because he was leaning back to defend against a guy who knew how to cut off his angles, move in diagonally and thus could reach him. Silva got beat at the distance game, not the "hands up" game.

It's way oversimplifying to say he'll get caught because his hands are down. Everyone drops their hands. That's the lowest level of analysis.

^ this

Was not speaking to you personally about calling people "haters" it was in general. Yes Silva got caught leaning backwards with hands down trying to clown Weidman. Weidman just followed up on his punches and caught him. Maybe I shouldn't of used the Silva/Weidman fight for the fact is what I'm getting at is when Connor throws his punches his hands drop. They aren't always down. Watch the gifs closely. Now imagine if the the punches thrown weren't thrown with all their body weight and fallout of position. Just think if they throw their straight and then follow it with a hook as Connor is trying to counter. From watching just them gifs, he is open for a hook every single time. There is know denying it. Albeit its gonna have to be a great striker with good speed, and timing. Connor is a great fighter and nobody can take that away from him, but watch and see as he goes up the ladder. That will get exploited unless he tightens that up.

Hey I could be wrong and I would be the 1st to admit it, but as of right now I'm not seeing it as of right now. Damn (not you) I didn't think people loved him that much. I'm just making a simple analysis and people take it to heart. This is what I see and think people, its not the end of the world. I could only imagine if I didn't like the guy.

Was not speaking to you personally about calling people "haters" it was in general. Yes Silva got caught leaning backwards with hands down trying to clown Weidman. Weidman just followed up on his punches and caught him. Maybe I shouldn't of used the Silva/Weidman fight for the fact is what I'm getting at is when Connor throws his punches his hands drop. They aren't always down. Watch the gifs closely. Now imagine if the the punches thrown weren't thrown with all their body weight and fallout of position. Just think if they throw their straight and then follow it with a hook as Connor is trying to counter. From watching just them gifs, he is open for a hook every single time. There is know denying it. Albeit its gonna have to be a great striker with good speed, and timing. Connor is a great fighter and nobody can take that away from him, but watch and see as he goes up the ladder. That will get exploited unless he tightens that up.

Hey I could be wrong and I would be the 1st to admit it, but as of right now I'm not seeing it as of right now. Damn (not you) I didn't think people loved him that much. I'm just making a simple analysis and people take it to heart. This is what I see and think people, its not the end of the world. I could only imagine if I didn't like the guy.

They wouldn't be in range for the hook if they chose to throw it. That's why they're all lunging in. They can't reach him, and they don't know how to get closer to him safely. Especially since he's moving back and countering. Those guys are being baited and timed. He's drawing out their punches.

Are these gifs chronological? The movement looks good in the first gifs, but the spacing is way off. In the later ones he lands it beautifully. If they re chronological it would be a good exemple of learning first the form, then nailing the adaption.

Was not speaking to you personally about calling people "haters" it was in general. Yes Silva got caught leaning backwards with hands down trying to clown Weidman. Weidman just followed up on his punches and caught him. Maybe I shouldn't of used the Silva/Weidman fight for the fact is what I'm getting at is when Connor throws his punches his hands drop. They aren't always down. Watch the gifs closely. Now imagine if the the punches thrown weren't thrown with all their body weight and fallout of position. Just think if they throw their straight and then follow it with a hook as Connor is trying to counter....

He purposely baits fighters though. Take a look at this simple analysis from Robin Black.

ezgif_com_gif_maker_5.gif

Those lazy hooks and rights come because he baits them for it. Roy Jones Jr loved to back off and use his angles to bait punches and easily avoided them. Your analysis sucks.

Hands up would have helped. Not with avoiding the TDs but with not getting KO'd. The "hands up game" is called "defense." Relying on lean and footwork alone is not the only valid type of defense.

Hands up would have helped. Not with avoiding the TDs but with not getting KO'd. The "hands up" game is called "defense." Relying on lean and footwork alone is not the only valid type of defense.

"Hands up" as a form of passive blocking is the least important aspect of defense. In MMA more than in any other sport. The gloves are too small, your hand can only cover so much. It's very easy to punch through, around, under and over a guard in MMA gloves. Actively using the hands to parry, frame and deflect is great, but thinking that not keeping your hands glued to your chin while punching is some huge defensive flaw just shows a complete disconnection with the reality of fighting.

It's about distance (those guys can't reach McGregor), timing (he's throwing inbetween their shots, not trading with them) and positioning (McGregor is taking an angle towards his power side). As long as those things are in play, his other hand can be hanging down by his waist and it won't make a difference.

People who obsess over hand position are ignoring the real fundamentals.

Thunder Bay Ontario.. I live pretty much in the ghetto

Hahahaha get outta there dude. I was thinking this guy is from Scarborough or TB and I legitimately feel sad for you. What's there to do there? Drink and sherdog?

Back