Conor McGregor's fav technique (GIF heavy)

D3tocqueville

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hello again, here's the short left counter with step to the left that Conor McGregor used to love back then when his game was focused mainly on counters.

mcgregorvssowinski1.gif
mcgregorvshill2.gif
mcgregorvshill7.gif

mcgregorvsbuchinger9.gif
mcgregorvsbuchinger12.gif
mcgregorvsbrimage2.gif

Just thought I'd share it with you.

Send the gifs to Siver.
Maybe he will have a shot.

nicely done, ts.

Doesn't always work in those clips.

He thrives off of being taller than most of his div. Siver looks like a sacrificial lamb, but I think he's going to find a way to land.

Can you post gifs of his uppercut, particularly the left uppercut? He throws it a lot too, knocked out Brimage with it.

Yeah, you can get a lot of power into your shot if swung the proper way like that, all your weight into the shot. In street fights people just swing wildly but you can easily pout somebody out with proper technique like that. Just let them come at you, take a step back and throw a real punch, lol. Believe me I've fought many drunken native peoples in my area.. a couple youtube videos and practice and already you can take em all out LOL

Can you post gifs of his uppercut, particularly the left uppercut? He throws it a lot too, knocked out Brimage with it.

That wasn't an uppercut, they were bolo punches. They're mostly thrown for flash and to set up other more meaningful punches but McGregor can actually land them and hurt opponents with them.

nicely done, ts.

Doesn't always work in those clips.

He thrives off of being taller than most of his div. Siver looks like a sacrificial lamb, but I think he's going to find a way to land.

True. Did not work on guys who didn't rush him. Second and third gifs are from his fight against Dave Hill who is a grappler - and he had zero confidence in forward movement which on the other hand also made it difficult for McGregor to counter him.

This is a move that requires two things. Reaction time and reach. Connor has great reactions and instincts and some of the best reach in the division.

It will get interesting when he fights guys who match or surpass him in reach and react as well as he does. That's when you will see him really being tested.

Until then guys heads are going to be taken CLEAN OFF.

He also steps in a lot with his hands down and throws the uppercut

Seems someone should be able to capitalize on that, leading with an uppercut is a bad idea technically

That wasn't an uppercut, they were bolo punches. They're mostly thrown for flash and to set up other more meaningful punches but McGregor can actually land them and hurt opponents with them.

[YT]mwbbWt7q9FE[/YT]

Also there are some similarities between him and Nick Diaz (obviously not in the fighting style though) ;)

diazvssmith.gif
mcgregorvsokeeffe1.gif

pennvsdiazweighin.gif
wazenie.gif

In everyone of them gif's his opponent over extends with their punch. Everyone of them "if" they wouldn't of over extended they could throw a straight followed by a hook. He just keeps his hands dangerously low! I'm not knocking him in anyway. Just calling it like I see it. He seriously needs to fix that because I know I'm not the only one seeing it. He starts facing top notch strikers, they will exploit that in a second. Its crazy cause its in every single gif you posted. I'm know expert, but I know boxing and that can turn out to be a BIG problem for him against more talented fighters/strikers. Not saying he can't dodge it, but from all them gifs he isn't in position to dodge/block anything.

Remember this post because he is gonna get caught exactly the way I'm saying. Fix that hole Connor before someone fills it with a bomb!

Last edited:

Those are absolutely uppercuts, and definitely not thrown for flash. They're just a variation of uppercuts.

This is a move that requires two things. Reaction time and reach. Connor has great reactions and instincts and some of the best reach in the division.

It will get interesting when he fights guys who match or surpass him in reach and react as well as he does. That's when you will see him really being tested.

Until then guys heads are going to be taken CLEAN OFF.

More than reaction time, it's being able to draw guys in and manage distance.

In everyone of them gif's his opponent over extends with their punch. Everyone of them "if" they wouldn't of over extended they could throw a straight followed by a hook. He just keeps his hands dangerously low! I'm not knocking him in anyway. Just calling it like I see it. He seriously needs to fix that because I know I'm not the only one seeing it. He starts facing top notch strikers, they will exploit that in a second. Its crazy cause its in every single gif you posted. I'm know expert, but I know boxing and that can turn out to be a BIG problem for him against more talented fighters/strikers. Not saying he can't dodge it, but from all them gifs he isn't in position to dodge/block anything.

Remember this post because he is gonna get caught exactly the way I'm saying. Fix that hole Connor before someone fills it with a bomb!

You know who actually isn't in position to dodge/block? The guys he's punching in the face. Yea he keeps his hands down. The worst thing that does is make people think he's much easier to hit than he actually is. He can have his hands behind his back and be safe as long as he's working that angle, drawing them in and walking them into his shot.

Hello again, here's the short left counter with step to the left that Conor McGregor used to love back then when his game was focused mainly on counters.

mcgregorvssowinski1.gif
mcgregorvshill2.gif
mcgregorvshill7.gif

mcgregorvsbuchinger9.gif
mcgregorvsbuchinger12.gif
mcgregorvsbrimage2.gif

Just thought I'd share it with you.

I don't think there was every a time when his game was mainly focused on counters. He's always been a pressure fighter, who likes to counter too. Many of his knockouts involve him walking the other guy down.

Back