Conor McGregor Wrestling Question

Styles make fights, not rankings?

yea, maybe in WWE. This is professional MMA, and if rankings and records are not acknowledged in matchmaking, then wtf is the point.

The point of rankings is to keep the title relevant. But you don't have to fight everyone in the top 10 to become ranked number 3, so in the subject of actual fights, rankings are just numbers that don't really matter.

For example, gus is ranked number 1, even though he lost to Jones and beat Manuwa who I'd I'm not mistaken was ranked number 11. The math doesn't add up.

The point of rankings is to keep the title relevant. But you don't have to fight everyone in the top 10 to become ranked number 3, so in the subject of actual fights, rankings are just numbers that don't really matter.

Maybe, but I think you should at least have to fight the second and third ranked guys to be considered title worthy

Styles make fights, not rankings. There is no such thing as a bad opponent. Anyone can beat anyone for God's sake.

Nobody was mad when joe.soto got a title shot.

Nobody was mad because it was like 1 days notice.

I never noticed before but you're actually a really really bad poster. lol

He doesn't seem to get a whole lot of credit for the Holloway win at all for whatever reason.

Fight against Dave Hill:

[YT]jk4EBqXHBJQ[/YT]

Reversal against Diego Brandao (GFY):

Wrestling control against Max Holloway (GIFs):

yNPZM5.gif

y4ZArn.gif

vVVw7x.gif

y3OkD4.gif

Conor McGregor BJJ Competition:

[YT]b_CfSdJVnik[/YT]

Robin Black's breakdown on Conor McGregor's TDD evolution. Upto 3:30 he pretty much covers the ground/TDD aspects:

Conor McGregor grappling open workout (pre-Holloway fight):

[YT]Uohwrg3qPSk[/YT]

THIS.
Edgar vs. McGregors will look a lot like Edgar's last fight but more vicious.

Edgar bless

No need to be a wiseass. It wasn't that clear considering we're all talking about Aldo also

So what if Edgar got rocked by Maynard. He gets rocked by everyone, lol. Conor needs quality opponents to prove his worth, period. If anyone really thinks the guys he has fought prove anything, you're just playing devils advocate

Exactly. And when he KO's Aldo we will see 1000 threads analyzing Aldo's fights and how he "was never that good" or the competition he faced was lacking. Kind of how we do now with Anderson and people discreding Weidman.

Conclusion, Conor is a good fighter and hard-core forum fans are for the most part twats.

Swanson is also a fluid striker if more well rounded. Frankie dominated him.
McGregors is weaker on the ground so my reasoning is Frankie will be able to work the same game plan and finish him.

Edgar bless

Proof, examples, reasoning?

Swanson is also a fluid striker if more well rounded. Frankie dominated him.
McGregors is weaker on the ground so my reasoning is Frankie will be able to work the same game plan and finish him.

Edgar bless

How do you know that Conor's ground game is weaker? Proof? Evidence?

Obviously the big assumption that many posters make on this board is that once Conor faces a wrestling that will be his undoing.

Why does he not get any credit for his grappling in the Holloway fight. Even though Holloway is not a wrestler, he's a very well rounded guy with a legit ground game.

So my question is does that fight give him any credibility as far as his ground game and if so, why is it that no one seems to acknowledge it?
I don't think it will be his undoing, per say, but it will answer more questions. Any time you have a strike-heavy fighter, in a sport with many dominant wrestlers, these types of questions always arise. Look at JDS, for example. When he's fresh, he has pretty solid TDD, but Cain has proven that a combination of pressure proves taxing.

On the other hand, when you look at Aldo, a guy who prefers to stand and strike like McGregor, he has a proven body of work which says he has outstanding TDD. Enough that I can say so with absolute certainty. Can we make the same claim with confidence, about McGregor? The bold aside, the honest answer is no, we can't. We've gotten a glimpse into his potential, but until he executes on the greatest of stages, it's impossible to say for sure.

If McGregor proves to have a few more tools in his box, which rival his striking, he will continue to do well. Someone will test it, though, and that's when we'll be certain.

So they couldn't find a higher ranked replacement?

Please.

Higher ranked guys often don't want their title shot to be on short notice, which is smart, who knows when they would get another one. Which is probably why Soto got the fight, he had nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Higher ranked guys often don't want their title shot to be on short notice, which is smart, who knows when they would get another one. Which is probably why Soto got the fight, he had nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Well that actually makes a lot of sense. Considering danas track record of stabbing top fighters in the back.

This is an excellent point nobody thinks about, and Bones got crucified by everyone when he said no. Training for a fight takes weeks of prep, and fighting short notice is a hhhuuuugggeee disadvantage.

I just want to see it FFS. How does Conor handle Frankie Edgar? Can he drop his ass no prob, can he outwork him, or can Edgar grind out another dogfight of a win against him. I just wanna see it happen, and stop being excited for the kid to fight fuckin Dennis Siver lol

Only guys thad COULD take him down are frankie,chad,bermudez and guida.
Lamas got outwrestled by dave jansen(and somehow won),hioki and dias
Elkins wrestling is getting worse and worse. All he can do is wall n stall
Lentz could take him down i guess
Conor is too strong and moves too well for most of them
Bermudez and fili couldnt take down holloway(untill 3rd round bermudez) more times than injured conor
Dont hate his wrestling,he also taken down brandao,who has solid tdd. Siver has great wrestling,we will see if conor is interested in wrestling(doubt it) with him

Back