Conor McGregor Wrestling Question

Sammy Bananas

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Obviously the big assumption that many posters make on this board is that once Conor faces a wrestling that will be his undoing.

Why does he not get any credit for his grappling in the Holloway fight. Even though Holloway is not a wrestler, he's a very well rounded guy with a legit ground game.

So my question is does that fight give him any credibility as far as his ground game and if so, why is it that no one seems to acknowledge it?

Obviously the big assumption that many posters make on this board is that once Conor faces a wrestling that will be his undoing.

Why does he not get any credit for his grappling in the Holloway fight. Even though Holloway is not a wrestler, he's a very well rounded guy with a legit ground game.

So my question is does that fight give him any credibility as far as his ground game and if so, why is it that no one seems to acknowledge it?

when he beats a wrestler they will just say the guy wasnt a good wrestler.

Exactly. And when he KO's Aldo we will see 1000 threads analyzing Aldo's fights and how he "was never that good" or the competition he faced was lacking. Kind of how we do now with Anderson and people discreding Weidman.

yeah I agree 100%. Or that Aldo was old, though conor predicted it already.

Agreed, but people need something to fixate and hate on. Admittedly, he hasn't yet fought a tried and true wrestler but I believe he will do just fine when he does.

Conor has good grappling good td defense and overall good wrestling.

Thats not enough against Frankie or Mendes. Thats just not enough. It will not mean he is bad or overrated it just means there are different levels

Couple of things:

1) I've yet to seen anyone give him literally no credit for his grappling skills. I've not seen anyone say that any random guy off the street could take him down.

2) "Ground game" is a very broad term: literally everything that is not done standing is a part of the ground game. Notably, TDs and TD defense are not really part of the ground game, but they do enable it.

3) Just because your overall ground game is good, does not mean that there are no holes in it and it does not mean that there aren't fighters who can nullify the crucial parts of your ground game.

For instance, Conor is a brown-belt in BJJ. For the sake of argument and simplicity, let's assume that this is a correct representation of his skills. Now, let's match him up against Guida. Guida is/was a takedown machine and very good at nullifying any BJJ advantage his opponents had against him. If Conor got beneath him, there is a good chance he is not getting up again for the rest of the round (or at least that would be the case back in Guida's heyday).

Another would be Edgar: Even if Conor's ground game is good, we do not know how good it is/would be if Edgar was on top doing what he did to Swanson. It's difficult to sweep/hip escape/whatever when someone is making filets of your face.

To summarise, even if Conor's ground game is good we still don't know how good it is under pressure, and that his performance against Holloway does not really tell us much of his chances against the best wrestlers in the division, wrestlers whom he will have to face if he is to retain the belt (assuming he can beat Aldo).

Couple of things:

1) I've yet to seen anyone give him literally no credit for his grappling skills. I've not seen anyone say that any random guy off the street could take him down.

2) "Ground game" is a very broad term: literally everything that is not done standing is a part of the ground game. Notably, TDs and TD defense are not really part of the ground game, but they do enable it.

3) Just because your overall ground game is good, does not mean that there are no holes in it and it does not mean that there aren't fighters who can nullify the crucial parts of your ground game.

For instance, Conor is a brown-belt in BJJ. For the sake of argument and simplicity, let's assume that this is a correct representation of his skills. Now, let's match him up against Guida. Guida is/was a takedown machine and very good at nullifying any BJJ advantage his opponents had against him. If Conor got beneath him, there is a good chance he is not getting up again for the rest of the round (or at least that would be the case back in Guida's heyday).

Another would be Edgar: Even if Conor's ground game is good, we do not know how good it is/would be if Edgar was on top doing what he did to Swanson.
It's difficult to sweep/hip escape/whatever when someone is making filets of your face.

To summarise, even if Conor's ground game is good we still don't know how good it is under pressure, and that his performance against Holloway does not really tell us much of his chances against the best wrestlers in the division, wrestlers whom he will have to face if he is to retain the belt (assuming he can beat Aldo).

Its not fair to say "He can't be that good because he has never been put in the hypothetical situation I FEEL he would struggle in."

How do we know frankie or any grappler would be able to get to conor, who is scientifically the fastest fighter in the game.

Why would he get credit for outgrappling a guy who isn't a grappler?

Yeah, Conor has decent grappling. No shit. So does everyone in the UFC. Beating Holloway doesn't mean you can beat Frankie or Mendes or Lamas

Exactly. And when he KO's Aldo we will see 1000 threads analyzing Aldo's fights and how he "was never that good" or the competition he faced was lacking. Kind of how we do now with Anderson and people discreding Weidman.

But he isn't ko'ing Aldo ;)

Why would he get credit for outgrappling a guy who isn't a grappler?

Yeah, Conor has decent grappling. No shit. So does everyone in the UFC. Beating Holloway doesn't mean you can beat Frankie or Mendes or Lamas

and beating swanson doesnt mean you can beat the goat

Conor has good grappling good td defense and overall good wrestling.

Thats not enough against Frankie or Mendes. Thats just not enough. It will not mean he is bad or overrated it just means there are different levels
This.

I love how people interpret decent not much above average skills as "ready for the best in the division".

It's just not that impressive that he wheeled over Diego fuckin Brandao in the clinch. Does anyone else remember the complete gasfest Brandao had against a beast like Daniel fuckin Pineda (3-4 in the UFC), getting absolutely SHIT ON as "not world class featherweights" on the same damn card as McGregor?

Plus when has Holloway ever been known for above average or even decent grappling? He's just.. standard. So McGregor has completely standard grappling skills, you say? WOWOWOWOW soooo worthy of being talked about...

Last edited:
not too many people bring up the fact that holloway was stuffing bermudez and should have gotten that decision, and conor seemed to take him down pretty easily. i know the top wrestlers are different, i just think the holloway fight showed us a little bit.

People said the same things about Jones before shogun and weidman before silva and machida (myself included).

not too many people bring up the fact that holloway was stuffing bermudez and should have gotten that decision, and conor seemed to take him down pretty easily.
It's not uncommon for strikers to surprise people with TDs they weren't expecting. Kampmann took down Rick Story then won a round from the top in their fight, doesn't mean he's a better wrestler. Just caught him by surprise.

I think threads like these say a lot about McGregor fans and their desire to see something that really just isn't there. I've seen people post .gifs of "wrestling control versus Max Holloway", as if that's something to talk about.

Now if he took down and outgrappled Dustin Poirier, that would be worth something talking about, but no, let's pretend Max is better than he actually is, etc.

People said the same things about Jones before shogun and weidman before silva and machida (myself included).
Lol, if you think there is any meaningful comparison between McGregor and those guys you have literally been suckered.

Yeah coming into mma undefeated with significant backgrounds in grappling sports is completely equivalent to a striker with an absolutely unproven ground game who talks a whole lot and already has 2 losses to nobodies.

Don't make me fuckin laugh dude.

and beating swanson doesnt mean you can beat the goat

Is that supposed to mean Edgar is overhyped cause Swanson isn't that good?

Are we now entering fantasy world where Edgar has no other accomplishments in his career?

Back