Conor McGregor vs. Nate Diaz Possibly Being Held Up Due to Weight Issues

It is funny how Conor talks about taking the 170 lb belt but when the chance to fight at 165 show up and save the show comes up he seems hesitant. You'd fight Robbie fucking Lawler at 170 but not Nate at 165?

Then when you realize he's always talking about being the bigger fighter and how everyone at Featherweight is a bunch of midgets it kind of puts things into perspective.

It is all about preparation. I do think a change to 170 is a big maybe impossible task for McGregor and he knows that this is difficult. So to move up to 170 I would guess that he takes a year of to build up the mass without loosing his technical strenghts.

I'm not a Mcgregor fan by any standard. But anyone saying he's hesitant to accept the Diaz fight is delusional. He only ducks wrestlers with good boxing.

The way he ducked Mendes?

I don't think it's Conor that has the issue with fighting at 165, I think it's the UFC. They seem very interested in an interim belt and to do that the fight would need to remain at 155.
Really ? I would think its Conor insisting that the fight be for a belt. I think hes refusing to give up the idea of holding two belts. He will fight anyone, but only for gold.

Really ? I would think its Conor insisting that the fight be for a belt. I think hes refusing to give up the idea of holding two belts. He will fight anyone, but only for gold.
Just my two cents. I think Conor is more worried about the pay day then the gold but you could be right.

Here's another tweet insinuating the catch weight fight may be off the table:

Clearly Conor is scared to fight nate. I mean he was going to fight the guy who absolutely fucking worked Nate already. But yeah he's for sure scared of him.

FrontRowBrian® ‏@FrontRowBrian 54m54 minutes ago
Starting to think Pettis or Faber are the 2 best options if Nate can't make 55 and it doesn't look like Cerrone is an option now.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Starting to think Pettis or Faber are the 2 best options if Nate can&#39;t make 55 and it doesn&#39;t look like Cerrone is an option now.</p>&mdash; FrontRowBrian® (@FrontRowBrian) <a href="">February 23, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

https://twitter.com/SpencerLazara/status/702238326762266624

From the looks of twitter, Nate doesn't think he can make 155 on 11 days notice and the UFC wants to keep the fight at 155. I don't see the issue with a 165 catch weight and it's hard to imagine Conor would have a big problem with it. What do you guys think?

I hope the fight is made . I would love to see Nate Diaz prone and discombobulated on the octagon floor .If only to shut the seemingly legion Sherdog nut suckers.

Last edited:
well i think the point is that conor is angling to fight for the interim title. which i think is ridiculous considering that rda just defended....but it makes sense because he holds that kind of power. His decision of fighting or not, can be a revenue swing in the tens of millions.

fighting at a catchweight of 165 means he can't make this a interim title fight.
I really think this is true right now.

Its funny, cause i have yet to see a post from nate himself saying he will have a hard time making weight.

The question YOU asked was "Why would Conor be willing to fight Lawler at 170 and not Nate at 165?"

But by all means, continue playing dumb.

No one is playing dumb. We just wanna know why the guy who always shows up ain't so willing to show up.

Conor wants to fight for the Welterweight title which is 170 lbs.
Nate wants the fight at 165, five pounds lighter than the Welterweight limit.

So if Conor is willing to fight at 170 lbs why can't he fight at 165 lbs? Because it has to be for a belt? He's not going to win the real Lightweight Championship now regardless of who he fights, RDA is the real champion and he's out.

It is funny how Conor talks about taking the 170 lb belt but when the chance to fight at 165 show up and save the show comes up he seems hesitant. You'd fight Robbie fucking Lawler at 170 but not Nate at 165?

Then when you realize he's always talking about being the bigger fighter and how everyone at Featherweight is a bunch of midgets it kind of puts things into perspective.

This is beyond stupid. If McGregor was to be slated for a 170LB bout with a camp, he'd eat like a horse and be walking round at or above that weight.

If he is training for 155lb, then accepts a two week notice fight vs someone who is going to cut a shit ton to make 165lbs - it's an entirely different scenario.

He probably is willing to fight Lawler at 170, given the time to grow out so as to not be dwarfed.

Are you stupid? Catch weight with an Irrelevant fighter .... or championship fight at 155/170.

Fighting Robbie would mean something. Fighting Nate at a catch weight or any weight is meaningless. A win does nothing for Conor.

Why's there no talk of Edgar? I'm sure he's game at 155.

This is beyond stupid. If McGregor was to be slated for a 170LB bout with a camp, he'd eat like a horse and be walking round at or above that weight.

If he is training for 155lb, then accepts a two week notice fight vs someone who is going to cut a shit ton to make 165lbs - it's an entirely different scenario.

He probably is willing to fight Lawler at 170, given the time to grow out so as to not be dwarfed.

Okay, that makes sense...except for one thing.

How is he gonna bulk up to 170 and put on weight when he has to cut down to 145 and 155 to fight and defend those belts? That would seem a little hard to do...not to mention the grueling impact it'll have on Conor's actual health having to lose 30/40 pounds for a fight.

Or is everyone at 155 and 145 just gonna have to put their careers on hold so Conor can just run around and do whatever he wants?

Are you stupid? Catch weight with an Irrelevant fighter .... or championship fight at 155/170.

RDA is out so there is no championship fight at 155 anyway.

Clearly Conor is scared to fight nate. I mean he was going to fight the guy who absolutely fucking worked Nate already. But yeah he's for sure scared of him.
You should be a detective . Sentence one put forward the theory that McGregor is scared of Nate Diaz . Sentence two immediately disprove this theory . Good work Sherlock .

No one is playing dumb. We just wanna know why the guy who always shows up ain't so willing to show up.

Conor wants to fight for the Welterweight title which is 170 lbs.
Nate wants the fight at 165, five pounds lighter than the Welterweight limit.

So if Conor is willing to fight at 170 lbs why can't he fight at 165 lbs? Because it has to be for a belt? He's not going to win the real Lightweight Championship now regardless of who he fights, RDA is the real champion and he's out.
You already know the answer, you keep saying it. Conor only wants to fight for the belt most likely. Thats what he is here for. To be a champion who breaks records and get rich doing it. And im sure he would feel like the true 155lb champ with an interm belt. In his mind RDA forfeited. He already sees himself as the true champ anyway. Im not saying thats true, im just saying that seems to be his mindset.

Does anyone actually think that McGregor wouldn't fight Nate at 165? So not only is RDA so scared of McGregor that he fakes an injury, now McGregor is scared to fight Nate Diaz, you know, a guy who's not really in the same league as Aldo or RDA. Ok...

Back