Conor McGregor vs. Dennis Siver(Spoliers)

The thing is that Conor is an excellent counter striker, and some would say even better at it than pressuring. I don't think someone who pressured him back would have a lot of success for that reason alone. However, if he keeps pressuring as well, instead of stepping back and countering, then obviously it becomes more of a game of chins.

Something to consider though is all of his best counters are against guys lunging in at him from too far away. He gets all the credit in the world for drawing those guys in, but it's unknown whether or not he can counter intelligent pressure. Someone who knows he wants to throw the counter left, and is ready to counter that counter.

I wouldn't call it money. It's there, but not particularly dangerous.

The range is a good point, though I think Aldo is bigger than a lot of guys McGregor has fought too. I also agree that Aldo has been countering worse strikers, but the strikers he's been countering are still much better than the strikers McGregor has been landing that left hand on consistently.

Definitely agree with your last sentence. I think this is one of the hardest fights to pick in a long time. I just can't pick against Aldo, and I admit a lot of that has to do with my style being extremely similar to his and his success gives me a smug sense of validation.

Well, you get points for being honest about your bias at least. ;)

novice is probably not the best term.. my english is not perfect. I mean that Conor just do the kicks with little or no set-ups.

But it works great for him. Because he hides his good boxing behind his wild spinning stuff.

Best St. left in the game

Better than Machida and Lawler? I mean it's up there, but those guys are consistently landing theirs against high level fighters and have been for years. I think it's too early to give it that much credit, wait until he's at least fought someone who has an idea how to deal with it.

Well, you get points for being honest about your bias at least. ;)

I do love McGregor too though. He was one of the first guys I ever wrote an analysis of. Way before I wrote anything about Aldo :wink:

By the way, did you see the fight with Van Buren and some other guy? It was terrible, largely because Van Buren had zero ability to measure or control distance. He had some of the worst footwork I've ever seen, no idea of positioning and didn't know how to keep the other guy off him except by clinching. And every time he stuck his rear hand out, he got hit.
I didn't, mostly because I had work and the only prelim fight I caught was the Pendred/Spencer fight (fuck me, right?), but yeah, I'll check it out whenever it's on Fight Pass. I actually picked Van Buren on tapology. I don't really know why.

conor's accuracy...sharp punching..power punching..distance mgmt and footwork are issues for aldo, it can't be denied; he hasnt faced one guy w/legit def/dist mgmt, not in years...

and i don't think he has faced a guy who can crack like conor, maybe swanson; but he got iced so quick his power..speed never got a chance to be used...

that being said aldo's defense is far and away better than anyone conor has fought in the ufc; and so is his boxing, boxing defense...

so both guys will be seeing things they haven't seen in a long while and most likely will have to go out of their typical bag of tricks to win...

the one thing conor has done, is make people think he is an act..a joke..and by the time people realize he is the real deal its too late; he has put them away decisively....

he is so over the top his actual skillset/application/physical ability gets downplayed if not outright ignored...

conor takes everyone very serious i can say guys do the same w/him

I didn't, mostly because I had work and the only prelim fight I caught was the Pendred/Spencer fight (fuck me, right?), but yeah, I'll check it out whenever it's on Fight Pass. I actually picked Van Buren on tapology. I don't really know why.

It's a good fight to watch if you want a good image in your mind of what NOT to do. You'd be hard pressed to find a better example of a guy doing so many things wrong.

conor's accuracy...sharp punching..power punching..distance mgmt and footwork are issues for aldo, it can't be denied; he hasnt faced one guy w/legit def/dist mgmt, not in years...

and i don't think he has faced a guy who can crack like conor, maybe swanson; but he got iced so quick his power..speed never got a chance to be used...

that being said aldo's defense is far and away better than anyone conor has fought in the ufc; and so is his boxing, boxing defense...

so both guys will be seeing things they haven't seen in a long while and most likely will have to go out of their typical bag of tricks to win...

I think Mendes hits about as hard as McGregor. Possibly harder, depending on the punch.

It's a good fight to watch if you want a good image in your mind of what NOT to do. You'd be hard pressed to find a better example of a guy doing so many things wrong.
I usually go for vintage rashad evans fights on that front, personally.

I've mentioned this before, but in I believe the second round of their fight, he countered Forrest Griffin with a jab off of a low kick that he stepped inside of, then just spammed lead jabs as if the fact that one had landed in a completely different circumstance meant more would land... unsurprisingly, they all missed

I'm a fan of mma but never was a fan of mma boxing skills (not hard to argue) 9/10 fighters have no fundamentals in the boxing realm... HOWEVER I wouldn't post on a thread complete negativity.... I'm posting this because I think Mccgregor boxing skills are VERY good. His posture,body shots,patience... He looks to have some very good striking skills.

His balance when punching is so far beyond 99% of MMA fighters it's laughable. People think he's magic just because he gives up some power for accuracy and balance and still knocks people out, MMA fans (myself included) are just so used to seeing everyone outside the top 5 fall over whenever they throw a big cross that seeing some decent boxing in the octagon is stunning.

I think Mendes hits about as hard as McGregor. Possibly harder, depending on the punch.

I think he hits harder, but he's not as effective. His accuracy is no where near Conor's, and he's not very good at getting inside without taking damage.

His balance when punching is so far beyond 99% of MMA fighters it's laughable. People think he's magic just because he gives up some power for accuracy and balance and still knocks people out, MMA fans (myself included) are just so used to seeing everyone outside the top 5 fall over whenever they throw a big cross that seeing some decent boxing in the octagon is stunning.
haha true that

I think he hits harder, but he's not as effective. His accuracy is no where near Conor's, and he's not very good at getting inside without taking damage.

I do think Mendes is great at finding his range and timing though. He turned into an extremely talented striker very quickly. I wanna see another fight or two from him against good opposition to get a better idea of how skilled he actually is.

So much of that has to do with his control of range too. MMA fighters in general would throw with better mechanics and balance if they weren't always trying to chase down the other guy across the cage.

He might be legit, but we really have no way of knowing right now. Can he take a punch? Can he defend a takedown? Who the hell knows. I doubt I'll even buy an Aldo McGregor card. We're all getting screwed out of watching the really top guys fight. I'd love to see another Aldo vs Edgar but I think we'll get another GSP vs Hardy. Protect McGregor long enough for the UFC to cash out.

Better than Machida and Lawler? I mean it's up there, but those guys are consistently landing theirs against high level fighters and have been for years. I think it's too early to give it that much credit, wait until he's at least fought someone who has an idea how to deal with it.

Ah, Dont know how I could forget about Machida. Lyoto's St. Left could easily be the best in the game.

Lawler? Ehh, Not sure about that that. His SP right hook is one of the best out there, McGOAT has impressed me more with his st. left for sure. Its Machida'ish although he uses it a little differently.

Back