Conor McGregor vs. Dennis Siver(Spoliers)

WillW

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
What did you guys think of that. That was pretty elite imo.

Also what do you guys think about GOAT vs. Aldo? Im a fan of Conor, but people are discounting Aldo. He will put up much more of a fight than people are giving him credit for.

Also what about the rest of the card. Cerrone vs. Bendo Decision. How did you score it?

I'm a fan of mma but never was a fan of mma boxing skills (not hard to argue) 9/10 fighters have no fundamentals in the boxing realm... HOWEVER I wouldn't post on a thread complete negativity.... I'm posting this because I think Mccgregor boxing skills are VERY good. His posture,body shots,patience... He looks to have some very good striking skills.

Conor is very good, but tbh i dont see him beating the Aldo, Edgar, or Chad. I feel Conor will have trouble with Aldo's leg kicks, and Edgar and Mendes both have good enough boxing to hang on the feet while being able to dominate on the ground i think. I believe Conor will be stuck at the #4 spot in featherweight. I could be 100% wrong though and he dominates everyone, this is why he has the hype behind him, everything he's trashed talked about has been backed up

It was a great performance, but Siver was never gonna be a tough fight. I mean after the Cub fight it was pretty obvious Siver wouldn't be competing on the level of someone like McGregor. I was actually disappointed that McGregor wouldn't throw his left to the body, was so reluctant to use his right hook and kept throwing kicks that Siver was moving away from. But his control of distance was good as always, his punches were crisp and he did exactly what he was supposed to.

Aldo is the best fighter alive though. He can actually slip the left hand and counter unlike all of McGregor's previous opponents. He has an amazing jab, the best footwork in the sport and the mentality to deal with McGregors pressure.

Too much spinning shit really.

I mean he felled a lot of times trying to do spins, and lots of high risk low reward stuff.

What really made the damage was the straight left it was money.

He got takendown but poped right back, I think Aldo will take him down and out-grapple him.

Won't be easy for both men, I see Aldo with the decision

It was a great performance, but Siver was never gonna be a tough fight. I mean after the Cub fight it was pretty obvious Siver wouldn't be competing on the level of someone like McGregor. I was actually disappointed that McGregor wouldn't throw his left to the body, was so reluctant to use his right hook and kept throwing kicks that Siver was moving away from. But his control of distance was good as always, his punches were crisp and he did exactly what he was supposed to.

Aldo is the best fighter alive though. He can actually slip the left hand and counter unlike all of McGregor's previous opponents. He has an amazing jab, the best footwork in the sport and the mentality to deal with McGregors pressure.
This.

It wasn't a Machida-Evans caliber performance, though. Siver did land two nice hard body kicks in the second round, as well as a few counters throughout the fight, and even dumped him with a counter low kick in the first (didn't see it but people in the Slack chat mentioned so I'm taking their word for it).

I am very confident that Aldo beats him. McGregor has fought NOBODY who is as good at mma as Aldo is.

This.

It wasn't a Machida-Evans caliber performance, though. Siver did land two nice hard body kicks in the second round, as well as a few counters throughout the fight, and even dumped him with a counter low kick in the first (didn't see it but people in the Slack chat mentioned so I'm taking their word for it).

I am very confident that Aldo beats him. McGregor has fought NOBODY who is as good at mma as Aldo is.

McGregor is twice as aggressive as Machida. When you are chasing down an opponent like that, you are going to get hit. Siver landed nothing that even prompted McGregor to slow down.

McGregor is twice as aggressive as Machida. When you are chasing down an opponent like that, you are going to get hit. Siver landed nothing that even prompted McGregor to slow down.
Well, there is that, but also the fact that he doesn't have particularly good head movement. I don't think it's coincidental that he's been getting hit more and more as his opposition improves.

Plus, it's Siver. He doesn't really stop people with anything besides turning side kicks (which incidentally I don't remember seeing him throw, but maybe he did and I missed it) or left hooks. Aldo on the other hand has very heavy counters with both hands. It's not impossible that some of those counters McGregor has been able to eat thus far would drop him if delivered by p4p #1.

I think McGregor is going to goad aldo into playing his game. McGregor should really focus on developing a strong karate front kick with both the rear and lead leg.

Conor thought he was going to come out of the gate and punk Siver with spinning shit- not a likely prospect. That said, its not like Conor could have just waded in on Siver and land his left, he was being kept at kicking range by Sivers chasse bas, allowing the German ample time to slip under his punches. Its only after McGregor start to neutralize Sivers favored ducking left hook with his left high kick did he start to find a home for that piston left of his.

Well, there is that, but also the fact that he doesn't have particularly good head movement. I don't think it's coincidental that he's been getting hit more and more as his opposition improves.

Plus, it's Siver. He doesn't really stop people with anything besides turning side kicks (which incidentally I don't remember seeing him throw, but maybe he did and I missed it) or left hooks. Aldo on the other hand has very heavy counters with both hands. It's not impossible that some of those counters McGregor has been able to eat thus far would drop him if delivered by p4p #1.

You're underselling McGregor here. McGregor's head movement is well above average for a UFC fighter, he's just been the one initiating the action and others have been countering. When in that fight did Siver actually initiate the action for McGregor to slip anything?

I doubt McGregor beats Aldo, but it won't be because he came in with his chin in the air and got knocked out. Aldo couldn't put away people with significantly worse striking habits than McGregor has (Mendes and Florian come to mind. Chang was coming in with flurries way sloppier than McGregor has ever thrown, and that was only stopped because CSJ dislocated his shoulder) so why would McGregor, who blocks well, judges distance like a champ and has clearly underrated head and body movement be dropped so easily?

I think McGregor's hardest fight at 145 would be against Edgar, not Aldo. That being said, I worry about Aldo's lowkicks based on Connor's stance and willingness to eat a kick to close the distance with hands. I know Connor like's to kick and throw wheel kicks and flashy stuff but that won't be useful at all against Aldo as Aldo is the better kicker.

I really believe Conor has the best boxing at 145 in the UFC and think it's his best chance against Aldo. Eating INSIDE lowkicks from Aldo will make for a rough and slow night for him, he will have to establish foot position dominance and throw his left hand all night and make sure he is checking the lowkick, if he does that I believe he can win.

thing people overlook is conor chin, dude has taken clean shots from brimage...holloway..brandao...poirier and siver; an he hasn't taken a backward step, an when he has hit every single one of these dudes..the opposite happened.

i don't know if he beats aldo..but he beat every guy he has faced..w/the exception of brimage..two were top fifteen and two were top ten and none looked as outclassed as they did w/him. Siver been beaten before..not that completely..

i din't think conor would be able to work his kicks against siver, unlike the majority of guys w/the kickboxing/mt game; siver has an extensive tma b/g. Which should help his ability to def/avoid and counter those shots, the advantage conor had was his length distance mgmt and his hands...

i think he presents diff challenges than edgar llamas and mendes present and that will make for a interesting and exciting fight..dude has better def than anyone aldo has faced, so far he has shown better hands..distance mgmt and power than all those guys too

You're underselling McGregor here. McGregor's head movement is well above average for a UFC fighter, he's just been the one initiating the action and others have been countering. When in that fight did Siver actually initiate the action for McGregor to slip anything?

I doubt McGregor beats Aldo, but it won't be because he came in with his chin in the air and got knocked out. Aldo couldn't put away people with significantly worse striking habits than McGregor has (Mendes and Florian come to mind. Chang was coming in with flurries way sloppier than McGregor has ever thrown, and that was only stopped because CSJ dislocated his shoulder) so why would McGregor, who blocks well, judges distance like a champ and has clearly underrated head and body movement be dropped so easily?

aldo hasnt faced a guy w/legit consistent standup defense yet...by far mcgregor footwork, headmovement, blocks, parries and distance mgmt is far superior; aldo will do work, but he wont be landing that jab or hook at will..i can guarantee you that..

stop saying GOAT.. this is the stand up forum. serious and adult discussions FTW

I think Conor will beat Aldo.

Conor is on an other level.

He is smart, very confident and moves very good.

Does anyone know if Aldo's fought a guy with the height and reach advantage that Conor will bring to the fight? It was my first time watching him and I was surprised that he's 5'9 with a 74" reach in that division.

Back