Media Conor McGregor training kicks

Conor always did have good Kicks, it boggles my mind that people still try to simplify his Striking to "Just a left hand" I get that the guy makes it pretty easy to trash on him with what he does outside the Cage, but inside he's a one of the best Strikers in the UFC, especially in the Lightweight Division.

He's damn near underrated at this point, and while most of that is his Fault with the lack of activity, and what not, it'd be pretty foolish to say with a Straight Face that Conor isn't an elite Striker. Anyone that doesn't have the grappling of Khabib(Spoiler NOBODY DOES besides Islam) isn't beating him on the Feet. The dude can take a punch, and has some of the best Shot Selection in the game. That overhand would have stiffed just about any other Lightweight that night, Khabib threw that shit with intent to Mangle, and Conor still recovered like a fucking boss.

Sober Conor Bless.

Conor always did have good Kicks, it boggles my mind that people still try to simplify his Striking to "Just a left hand" I get that the guy makes it pretty easy to trash on him with what he does outside the Cage, but inside he's a one of the best Strikers in the UFC, especially in the Lightweight Division.

He's damn near underrated at this point, and while most of that is his Fault with the lack of activity, and what not, it'd be pretty foolish to say with a Straight Face that Conor isn't an elite Striker. Anyone that doesn't have the grappling of Khabib(Spoiler NOBODY DOES besides Islam) isn't beating him on the Feet. The dude can take a punch, and has some of the best Shot Selection in the game. That overhand would have stiffed just about any other Lightweight that night, Khabib threw that shit with intent to Mangle, and Conor still recovered like a fucking boss.

Sober Conor Bless.
Truth is, most of his flashy kicks never land.
He even admitted that himself at some point that he needs to work on that, he is always very close but rarely lands.

looks gassed out.. has he ever hurt anybody with one of those kicks? he is a boxer and shouldn't do flashy stuff that eats his cardio
Not the kicks from the video but he can kick
FarflungSmugCuscus-size_restricted.gif

let them flow, no wrestler to catch those kicks anymore

Looks much slower than his FW days drilling this combo.

He definitely gained power but he lost fluidity and speed.

Conor's kicks use to be an absolute thing of beauty. Fluid and bouncy. He's abandoned that style since the first Nate fight and I believe it's due to the conservation of energy.

Truth is, most of his flashy kicks never land.
He even admitted that himself at some point that he needs to work on that, he is always very close but rarely lands.

This is true, while most of his more Flashy Techniques don't really land, his Teeps to the body, and leg kicks do the trick just fine. He was definitely reckless and that's why he would Gas himself by needlessly throwing useless spinning shit, but when he keeps it basic, and sticks to his Teeps and Pokes, he's still pretty efficient with his Kicks.

It's his more Flashy Kicks that don't serve any practical use so I agree, but he's still more than just a Left Hand and oversimplifying his Skills is why he's end's up winning more Fights than people expect him too.

Last edited:

Sober Conor Bless.
Emotional reactions to Conor are expected. I think the guy is an absolute tool but I will always watch him fight. He is elite in MMA. His timing is phenomenal. His understanding of range is amazing. Even though he can be backed up through fatigue, as you said, he can take a shot too.
Khabib doesn't respect timing which is why his pressure is non stop and he dominated Conor but that does not detract from Conor's ability.

looks gassed out.. has he ever hurt anybody with one of those kicks? he is a boxer and shouldn't do flashy stuff that eats his cardio

He picked apart mendez BAD with those. He also used them to great effect against Alvarez and Siver

Overrated
I think Conor is a fucking tool outside of the cage but if anything he’s underrated at this point. Aldo was on a 10yr streak and still hasn’t been finished like that since. Porier went on to be a top LW with wins over Max, Gatheje, and was the interim champ. Eddie was champ and had some impressive wins over guys like Gatheje.

Conors two losses are one to an undefeated champ that’s considered the greatest grappler to ever step into the cage, which Conor arguably won a round and made it to the 4th. Looking at Khabibs 1st round performances against other top LWs, Conors defensive grappling was very solid until he started gassing. Khabib couldn’t even get Conors back to the mat until the final seconds of the 1st round.

Conors second loss is a sub loss to a short notice fight against Nate at WW, stepping up two divisions from Conors previous bout. At the time Nate was tied with Maia for the 2nd most UFC sub wins behind Royce, with sub wins over accomplished grapplers like Miller. Nate’s ground game is somehow overlooked by many.

Back