Conor Mcgregor: Something to Keep in Mind

Conor has not been able to test the waters against the elite of the division. His wins over Poirier and Siver are solid but neither would grant anyone else a title shot.

Aldo will be a massive step up in competition for Conor. He has never faced anyone who even made it to a title shot. Poirier was close but never in a title eliminator and Siver broke top 10 in two divisions at some point but never came close enough to be in contention.

I think the fight will be great based on styles but I really would have preferred to see Conor fight Edgar, Mendes, Lamas or at least Swanson first.

TS has good points that everyone is aware of.

couldn't agree more. Dennis Siver should not have been a title eliminator fight period. Ridiculous ball massage by Dana to slide Conor in to the title shot and himself into some bigger paydays.

What was Edgar's title eliminator match in the 145 pound division?:redface:

Who did Chad Mendes beat en route to a title shot? Cody McKenzie? Darren Elkins? Nik Lentz?

What about Frankie? Nobody?

Come on bro, try harder.

Kenny Florian got a title shot against Aldo after beating one FW. Conor hasn't faced the toughest of opponents, but he has dominated the guys he has gone against. I would rather buy a PPV that has Conor vs Aldo then Aldo vs Edgar 2 or Mendes 3. Those guys had their chance and they couldn't do it.

The fact is that Aldo has beaten everyone else in the top 5 and Conor is 5-0 in the UFC with 3 1st round Knockouts and 3 wins over top 15 opponents. He's more deserving over Mark Hominick, Kenny Florian, and Chan Sung Jung.

Conor has not been able to test the waters against the elite of the division. His wins over Poirier and Siver are solid but neither would grant anyone else a title shot.

3 people in the ufc have defeated dustin poirier, one got a title fight immediately after and mcgregor fought and beat another guy after his win in that fight so... that's not really true (i'm not denying that his ability to sell fights has fast-tracked him somewhat but still.. his performances in the cage has earned him the chance to jump the queue imo). 2/3rds of the people that beat dustin poirier get title fights [and people were calling for swanson to get a shot back then too]

Aldo will be a massive step up in competition for Conor. He has never faced anyone who even made it to a title shot. Poirier was close but never in a title eliminator and Siver broke top 10 in two divisions at some point but never came close enough to be in contention.

I think the fight will be great based on styles but I really would have preferred to see Conor fight Edgar, Mendes, Lamas or at least Swanson first.

I respect your opinion but let's say you got your wish and the UFC gave Conor a double dose of wrestlers. What would you have Aldo do in the meantime? Continue to beat the shit out of the same people he already has, in some cases multiple times? That's just bullying!

It seems, in the humble opinion of yours truly, that the piece of the puzzle that a lot of folks are missing is that Aldo has cleared out the top of the division.

Shut the hell up, the featherweight division deserves this match up. McGregor may lose to somebody, but he has a legit chance to beat Aldo -- and Aldo has already beat everyone else in the division.

i think they are trying to open up the irish market. its what the people want, and the people could only ever be described as casuals, and never hardcore.

I respect your opinion but let's say you got your wish and the UFC gave Conor a double dose of wrestlers. What would you have Aldo do in the meantime? Continue to beat the shit out of the same people he already has, in some cases multiple times? That's just bullying!

It seems, in the humble opinion of yours truly, that the piece of the puzzle that a lot of folks are missing is that Aldo has cleared out the top of the division.

Well I

Conor can only beat what is in front of him and so far his has done that and made pro fighters look like rookies in the process

Does that mean he will make Aldo look like a rookie ?

Of course not but I still dont thinkk we have seen the best of Conor

I think that fighting Aldo will make Conor be even better than he has ever been before

Does anyone think that if Aldo catches Conor early with a punch or kick that Conor is going to go down or look for a way out or go running ?

Conor will hit Jose back twice as hard

This kid is an animal and you can take this much as fact , he doesnt fear Aldo one bit and he will go after him from the start and look for the finish

Yeah but you can still use those fighters as a barometer because their opposition wasn't able to destroy them as easily as Conor did.

While yes, Conor has completely outclassed his recent opponents in a way few others have and he's looked increasingly good doing it.

What is the best win of one of his opponents?

Dustin Porier's win over Eric Koch?
Dennis Siver's win over George Sotiropoulis?

Once you examine it, none of his opponents have a single win over upper tier fighters.

Siver was finished by Cerrone in 2 minutes, and TKO'd by Swanson.

As great as Conor Mcgregor has looked, there's still a lot of uncertainty with just how good he is. All of this will be answered when he fights Aldo, but it still would have been nice to see him go up against Edgar, Lamas, Mendes or someone of that caliber first.

Yes....I agree its great to have Cro Cop back in the UFC. I am thinking .....Gonzaga rematch for his first fight back.

As great as Conor Mcgregor has looked, there's still a lot of uncertainty with just how good he is. All of this will be answered when he fights Aldo, but it still would have been nice to see him go up against Edgar, Lamas, Mendes or someone of that caliber first.

I guess you could have said the same about TJ, coming into title contention. Who has he beat prior to Barao?

Did he deserve his title shot?

I think what you're saying has been said many times over on these forums.
And it has been done to most champs with regards to their contenders as a way to discredit them.

Fact is few top contenders matchup against more than one other top contender and in the list of 'who they beat' they may have not fought any top contenders. No shocker there.

While yes, Conor has completely outclassed his recent opponents in a way few others have and he's looked increasingly good doing it.

What is the best win of one of his opponents?

Dustin Porier's win over Eric Koch?
Dennis Siver's win over George Sotiropoulis?

Once you examine it, none of his opponents have a single win over upper tier fighters.

Siver was finished by Cerrone in 2 minutes, and TKO'd by Swanson.

I said the same thing in another thread. Look at McG's opponents in the UFC, none of them appear on Aldo's list of killers defeated. Not even close. McG's best win was over Poirier who was demolished by KZ who Aldo beat with a broken foot.

couldn't agree more. Dennis Siver should not have been a title eliminator fight period. Ridiculous ball massage by Dana to slide Conor in to the title shot and himself into some bigger paydays.

Competitively and statistically ridiculous, but are you seriously ridiculing the Dana White for doing his job? Aka bring in more revenue?

Aldo is a huge step up for CM, but not vice versa.

Zuffa is clearly more interested in cashing in on fan favorites than giving earned title shots and since there are way more casual fans than hardcore, they'd be bad businessmen if they weren't.

Everyone on this forum knows that if CM was the same fighter but from Utah, he wouldn't even be on the radar. That being said, he is talented and certainly has a shot at winning.

Aldo is a huge step up for CM, but not vice versa.

Zuffa is clearly more interested in cashing in on fan favorites than giving earned title shots and since there are way more casual fans than hardcore, they'd be bad businessmen if they weren't.

Everyone on this forum knows that if CM was the same fighter but from Utah, he wouldn't even be on the radar. That being said, he is talented and certainly has a shot at winning.

i thought you were talking about that pro wrestler cm punk for a moment

Back