Media Conor mcgregor reacts to seeing mayweather train.

Bernard Hopkins is literally an anomaly. By definition, he is an anomaly.

The majority of fighters who start at world level at a late age, in Hopkins case 28 and won his first world title at 29, tend to fight at Championship level into their later years. Longer than a fighter like Floyd who was at that level as a teenager.

Combine that with the fact Hopkins is a once in a lifetime unique fighter we have what's called; an "anomaly"

Again, to use him as a measuring stick for the age a fighter should be past it is totally disingenious in every which way. The fact is, the vast majority of elite fighters are finished by 40, if they aren't they're way way way way passed their best days. That's just factual. What's also factual is Hopkins is the ONLY fighter ever to be Champion at that age and you can count on one hand the number of fighters who won at Championship level at age 45 and older in the 100+ year history of Boxing.

In Floyd's case, competing at the highest level from an Amateur as a 16 year old all the way to age 40, being riddled with endless injuries, meant he was shot to pieces by age 40.

The only reason Floyd even stepped in the ring at that point is because Conor can't box to save his life and is no threat. Floyd could walk in the ring at age 50 and have no chance of losing to that same version of McGregor.

I agree with essentially all of this, but he wasn't shot to shit when he fought Berto. He maintained his physical abilities impressively well considering he was nearly 40 by the time of that fight (although, you could tell he was starting to not trust his body throughout that fight). It's pretty well-known (and this has been repeatedly corroborated by people who were in and around Floyd's camp) that Floyd didn't take the McGregor fight remotely seriously (and why would he?), but if he had to fight a real opponent in August of 2017, I think he still could have looked half-decent. He's smart and skilled enough to tailor his style to declining physical abilities and I think he would have still beaten essentially every active WW at the time, save Spence (Porter's style could have been an issue, too).

Again, Archie Moore is another extremely rare case of an elite fighter still competing at the top level into their 40's.

Again, BY DEFINITION, Hopkins is an anomaly. Are you aware what that is? Hopkins is the only fighter that's done it at that age and likely will be the only one.

Even if you deny that, it's still extremely rare. Forget age 49, just say 40's in general. 44+, how many fighters have competed at world level at that age? Very few. And the two; Hopkins and Foreman, are circumstantial - Hopkins starting at world level very late and Foreman taking a huge retirement in between runs.

Either way, to act like it's a normality to be competing in your 40's as a fighter is just not true, it's totally false and totally disingenuous.

"It's a number that means literally nothing" lmao That is just so retarded.

If Floyd were to fight at world level until age 50 that would mean he would have been competing at world level for over 30 years! Which has never and will never be done because the human body is not capable of sustaining that.

And to answer your question do I think Floyd could continue being a top fighter? No I don't. Any champion at WW or Jr MW currently crushes him. He's 41 and shot and has been on the slide for years. If he ever steps back in the ring it will be against guys who can't box and are no threat like Conor or someone else who's way past it like Pacquaio.

He'll never get back into the mix at the top level, he can't he's finished.

Not 30 years but Julio ceasar Chavez was active for 25 years and went undefeated in his first 90 fights. Really impressive dude, not known to casuals but definitely one the GOATs in boxing. 86 knockouts !

I agree with essentially all of this, but he wasn't shot to shit when he fought Berto. He maintained his physical abilities impressively well considering he was nearly 40 by the time of that fight (although, you could tell he was starting to not trust his body throughout that fight). It's pretty well-known (and this has been repeatedly corroborated by people who were in and around Floyd's camp) that Floyd didn't take the McGregor fight remotely seriously (and why would he?), but if he had to fight a real opponent in August of 2017, I think he still could have looked half-decent. He's smart and skilled enough to tailor his style to declining physical abilities and I think he would have still beaten essentially every active WW at the time, save Spence (Porter's style could have been an issue, too).

I disagree.

I was ringside for Floyd-Berto funnily enough and whilst his defense was sharp his offense was next to non existent and the sloppiest I've ever seen it.

I've been ringside for many Floyd fights but this one was the one where I knew, ok he's done. He won't beat any top WW's.

Not 30 years but Julio ceasar Chavez was active for 25 years and went undefeated in his first 90 fights. Really impressive dude, not known to casuals but definitely one the GOATs in boxing. 86 knockouts !

There's being active then there's competing at world level. Two different things.

Chavez hit the world level in 1984 and he was done at the world level by 1996. Only 12 years. And that in itself it still very impressive.

Roy Jones one of the all time greats was extremely dominant but only competing at the top for a decade. Pernell Whitaker the same.

Most elite level greats only have roughly a decade in them at that level give or take. The sport is too taxing to compete all that much longer.

Usually the younger you start, the quicker you burn out I.e Wilfred Benitez winning his first world title at 17 years and being burnt out and finished in his 20's. The body has limits and fighting will test those limits very quickly.

The likes of Floyd, Pacquaio, Hopkins etc who competed that level for 2 decades consistently is extremely impressive and rare.

To suggest Floyd could go another 10 years after already doing over 20 at the highest level is just ridiculous and wrong.

Last edited:
Every single word he said was the gospel truth and if the ref hadn’t saved Floyd it would have been done in one

So he lost because he couldn't panic wrestle? Is that what you mean?

<28>

Why is everyone talking about Conor?

His haters miss him so?

Everyone reacting after floyd rekt him;

tenor.gif

Again, Archie Moore is another extremely rare case of an elite fighter still competing at the top level into their 40's.

Again, BY DEFINITION, Hopkins is an anomaly. Are you aware what that is? Hopkins is the only fighter that's done it at that age and likely will be the only one.

Even if you deny that, it's still extremely rare. Forget age 49, just say 40's in general. 44+, how many fighters have competed at world level at that age? Very few. And the two; Hopkins and Foreman, are circumstantial - Hopkins starting at world level very late and Foreman taking a huge retirement in between runs.

Either way, to act like it's a normality to be competing in your 40's as a fighter is just not true, it's totally false and totally disingenuous.

"It's a number that means literally nothing" lmao That is just so retarded.

If Floyd were to fight at world level until age 50 that would mean he would have been competing at world level for over 30 years! Which has never and will never be done because the human body is not capable of sustaining that.

And to answer your question do I think Floyd could continue being a top fighter? No I don't. Any champion at WW or Jr MW currently crushes him. He's 41 and shot and has been on the slide for years. If he ever steps back in the ring it will be against guys who can't box and are no threat like Conor or someone else who's way past it like Pacquaio.

He'll never get back into the mix at the top level, he can't he's finished.

Both the klitchko brothers were both in their 40s while holding the heavyweight title...when joshua beat klitchko for the title, he was 41. at the top of his game, and just happened to lose a very close and competitive fight...where joshua managed to stop him after being badly hurt himself...you can type a novel trying to tell me that age matters...it does to a degree...but many things contribute..I just feel age has very little effect on you...people become out of their prime, not cause of age, but because they stop training as hard...family, obligations, kids..etc...or they simply lose the hunger to succeed they once had...

Boxing has been around in a recognizably modern form for more than a century and was the pre-eminent individual sport of the 20th century, yet guys like Hopkins and Moore still stand out in history. Hopkins didn't just get to that point because he lives clean and trains hard; he's an anomaly.

we can agree to disagree...if you live good, train hard, there is no reason you can't maintain peak form till into your 50s..I know many weightlifters that have...they have set records much older than what you would consider in your prime...there are examples all through every sport, of much older dudes, competing at the highest level...the reason there aren't more, has nothing to do with them being an anomaly, but their lack of motivation to continue to train to maintain that peak form...

The boxing mafia approached Conor the night of the fight and let him know what's up. This is why he had no problem making bold predictions leading up to the fight. More PPVs sold, and their golden boy reigns as champion.

Both the klitchko brothers were both in their 40s while holding the heavyweight title...when joshua beat klitchko for the title, he was 41. at the top of his game, and just happened to lose a very close and competitive fight...where joshua managed to stop him after being badly hurt himself...you can type a novel trying to tell me that age matters...it does to a degree...but many things contribute..I just feel age has very little effect on you...people become out of their prime, not cause of age, but because they stop training as hard...family, obligations, kids..etc...or they simply lose the hunger to succeed they once had...

Wrong.

Wladimir was not Champion in his 40's and never had a belt when he fought AJ.

Vitali was Champion at age 41 (very rare) and had to retire due to being plagued with injuries.

Neither supports your theory at all.

Floyd competed professionally at World Level for 20 years. That in itself is extremely rare.

There has not, and will not ever be a fighter that competes at world level for 30 years. Will not happen. The human body cannot do it.

we can agree to disagree...if you live good, train hard, there is no reason you can't maintain peak form till into your 50s..I know many weightlifters that have...they have set records much older than what you would consider in your prime...there are examples all through every sport, of much older dudes, competing at the highest level...the reason there aren't more, has nothing to do with them being an anomaly, but their lack of motivation to continue to train to maintain that peak form...

Baseless.

There isn't a single example in over 100 years of a fighter being in peak form at 50 years old.

There isn't an example of a fighter being in peak form at 40 years old either. Just the select rare, and often circumstantial examples that can still compete and win in their 40's.

And that's early 40's.

45+ you can count on one hand, literally.

You are just flat out wrong.

Also, LOL @ Wlad being at the top of his game at that point.

Not even close.

Have you ever watched Floyd doing mitt workouts? It's like poetry man, shits mesmerizing.

3 quarter of sherdoggers tired by watching this. Half would be on the floor puking if holding mitts for him..

Back