Conor McGregor, my take. (Analysis)

Discussion in 'The Lightweights' started by Jin Akutsu, Jan 19, 2015.

1. Jin Akutsu

Jin Akutsu Gengar Belt Platinum Member

I'm usually not one for trying to make posts with many words and rhetoric, and prefer to let the footage do the talking. Seeing a lot of the threads pop up recently about leg kicks, power, and everything else within I feel compelled to break it down to the best of my abilities. I am not a professional or claim to be, trained a few years in boxing when I was younger, but I've taken the task to approach this very seriously and apply the best of knowledge to break this down.

The format I'll be using will be going over the fighter, his traits, his strengths, and afterwords try and critically analyze the fighter without bias. All physical stats are taken from the fighter's respective wiki page.

"The Notorious" Conor McGregor:

Physical attributes:

Height: 5 ft 9 in (1.75 m)

Reach: 74.0 in (188 cm)

Fighting attributes:

Record: 17 wins (15 KO/TKO, 1 Decision, 1 Submission), 2 losses (2 submissions)

Notable wins: 1st round TKO vs Dustin Poirier, Unanimous Decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-26) over Max Holloway, 2nd Round TKO vs Dennis Siver

Gym: SBG Ireland (Dublin, Ireland)

Belt(s): Brown belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

Stance: Karate-based Southpaw

[​IMG]

Fighting style: Boxer who utilizes his reach to land long straight lefts, his best punch. Likes to set traps for counters, but will push the pace if necessary. Utilizes a solid jab alongside textbook hooks and bolo-punch style uppercuts. Constant movement, and angles to pressure opponents. For his kicking game, McGregor utilizes a wide variety of techniques. Capoeria, Taekwondo, and Karate styles are all present in his kicking game.

Analysis:

Conor McGregor approaches the fight game a lot different than a lot of fighters. As compared to some counter-strikers who resort to tentative traps and wont push the pace, he is counter striker that likes to cut off the ring, use angles, and footwork to put him in octagon control. Not to say he won't set traps, take a look at this breakdown from Robin Black in him setting up Buchinger in Cage Warriors with a sweet highlight-reel left hook counter.

[YT]4PZlFnddq-U&start=300&end=315[/YT]

McGregor utilizes good footwork, movement, and angles to land his boxing techniques. He'll even jog to get in front of or cut off fighters if need be.

[​IMG]

Boxing is his best weapon in the octagon. He has solid technical boxing which can't be talked about without mentioning Conor's straight left hand which, perhaps, is one of the best punches in the UFC. He doesn't even have to land it flush to crumble his opposition. He also has some strong bolos, and uppers alongside a solid jab that allows him to throw power shots from the outside.

[GFY]AcrobaticVillainousAfricanharrierhawk[/GFY]

I like how he is able to maintain distance by using his footwork alongside his angles. Another way he does this is he also throws crazy kicks. Some Capoeira kicks, Taekwondo kicks, and Karate kicks.

[GFY]GreatHandmadeHedgehog[/GFY]

Uses teeps for distance control, which is important in his striking game. He showcased a ton against Max Holloway and a decent few against Dennis Siver.

[GFY]PettyBrownAruanas[/GFY]

He likes to utilize jumping switch kicks/knees as his damaging kick for offense.

[GFY]PartialEnergeticCrustacean[/GFY]

As a side effect of his Karate stance, he is vulnerable to leg kicks, although some results in the past indicate he can overcome that difficulty as he has broken a leg on a check early in his career against Conor Dillon.

[YT]4lSlbJ3Tq0M&start=283&end=300[/YT]

In the UFC against Max Holloway, Conor hurt Max's foot on a check as well.

[TWEET]368925750377717760[/TWEET]

It should be noted he got caught with a few low kicks against Poirier and Siver. Another weakness in Conor's game is that he has a propensity from his stance to keep his head straight down the middle, chin up. Conor has been tagged a few times, even by the likes of Brimage with an overhand right. Conor has never even wobbled though, and seems to have an excellent chin to absorb shots.

His grappling thusfar has shown to be quite proficient. He controlled Holloway on the ground the entire third round, and reversed Diego Brandao on a takedown which resulted in Conor controlling him well from the top and landing solid ground and pound.

McGregor has not faced an elite wrestler the likes of Mendes or Edgar, or even a Bermudez/Lamas/Lentz/Guida caliber of wrestler to see how great his counter-wrestling, sprawls, and scrambles are. He has 100% TDD in the UFC so far and I don't see Aldo utilizing a ton of offensive wrestling unless he gets outclassed on the feet. We've hardly seen him from his back aside from the Cage Warriors days in his fight with Dave Hill. I covered that in my very first post in these forums here:

Feel free to critique, discuss, or combat any of the points I've made. I don't claim to be an expert, just wanted to throw my opinion in the lot and see what you guys think. I've got Conor by TKO/KO within 3 rounds.

Enjoy.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
  2. Redhawks100

Redhawks100 Gold Belt

Can you post proof that Holloway's foot was broken from a check?

3. Jin Akutsu

Don't a gif readily available of it but if you watch the fight you can see it alongside with that twitter status which I included in the OP.

4. rudyray

rudyray Purple Belt

I disagree that boxing is his best weapon. His best weapon is his size

5. Reffson

Reffson Purple Belt

That was a kick ass fight!! The fight with Dave Hill I mean.

6. Jin Akutsu

Perhaps, distance management coupled with his boxing? I mentioned that in the style part, but I did boxing is his main weapon. Seeing how many straight lefts and his overall form considering his amateur boxing background leads me to think his technical boxing is his best aspect.

Oh yeah, Conor showed off a lot of his improvements that fight. :)

7. MyIQ is Biscuit

MyIQ is Biscuit Banned Banned

His best weapon is his confidence. Once that get's cracked, we'll find out a lot more about Connor MacGregor.

8. Jin Akutsu

We'll have to see. This Aldo fight will tell us a lot.

9. MyIQ is Biscuit

Yup. I expect Mr. Macgregor to be very surprised in that fight. He'll get smashed imo, but he'll come back again and again and change weight classes a few times and he'll eventually get a belt. But right now it's too much, too soon for him. He's not being brought along as properly as they did with Jones. Connor is about to hit his first wall, imo. Then we'll see how he deals with adversity.

10. Reffson

Reffson Purple Belt

He's got mad skills, good size, great conditioning and ferocity. That helps with his confidence. Even if Aldo beats him, he's got alot goin on.

I've been an Aldo fan for years but I'm calling this fight even. Those kicks (and shin strikes) to the body are wicked. He's got the MT knees to the head and great flexibility on the ground, as can be seen in that sub of Dave Hill.

Can't wait. The barn is gonna burn.

11. Jin Akutsu

One of the few times we've seen Conor really work some ground game. Even pulled guard.

12. MyIQ is Biscuit

Yes sir! I gotta admit, the UFC's been killin it lately with these great matchups.

13. Rico

Rico Franklin Platinum Member

I see you decided to do something different...

14. Jin Akutsu

Its my first go, thought I've give it a shot in lieu of a ton of these troll threads and such flying about lately.

15. Kelladoor

Kelladoor Belt of Reason

Nice work man! Great stuff!

16. Jin Akutsu

Thanks for reading!

17. freelanzr

freelanzr Blue Belt

C'mon man, his size is an 'asset', which he recognizes and uses to his advantage. His boxing and karate, i.e. striking, footwork, and distance control are his weapons.

18. freelanzr

freelanzr Blue Belt

Nice work indeed - I did not realize he had any breaks due to check.

I'll still favor Jose, just think he has superior speed, experience, proven everywhere, but would not be surprised if CM is his toughest challenge so far.

Aldo also is tough, recovers immediately, and gets motivated when hit.

19. MagnusGOAT

MagnusGOAT Make America Great Britain again.

This is what worries me about Aldo against McGregor, if he gets hit he likes to fire back with power strikes and gets angry when he's being tagged, against a counter striker like Conor that could be a bad thing.

20. freelanzr

freelanzr Blue Belt

Yeah, it could backfire and potentially be used to bait him, as could the hard leg kicks if Conor trains to time his checks, but still... a motivated Aldo, is no joke.