Conor McGregor Leg Drag to Mount

I was highly impressed by McGregor's pasty teammate who fought on the prelims, the flyweight with coat-hangers for appendages. that guy had some crazy guard passing, like a banana slug or an eel or something. whoever's teaching those guys jiu-jitsu really knows what he's doing.

Just looked it up, Paddy Holohan vs Shane Howell. A couple nice back takes in there.

Curious connection now since people are bringing up BJ Penn: Longtime McGregor training partner, especially in the jiu-jitsu department is Gunnar Nelson, who back at the beginnings of his MMA career had his first taste of a truly professional fight camp back in 2005 or 2006 when he travelled to Hawaii to help train with BJ Penn's crew when he was getting ready for a UFC fight(can't remember which one). Maybe that is where this move originated?

i had no idea gunnar trained with penn, but i think i've seen him pass this way in both his MMA and ADCC matches. he's a monstrous grappler in his own right.

i wish there was more footage of these people training. i'd love to see penn and gunnar roll.

VERY informative. thank you bro.

haha it's funny that you link to that vid as I actually subscribe to BJJLibrary. Such a great resource.

Glad to help.

I found a longer version that shows him move from the leg drag position into the hip smash.

http://gyazo.com/720cb99b7cc182f08eaf6cb3af2dd960

He makes the transition much quicker than you'd see most BJJ folks do it with the gi on, but it's a really smooth transition... I learned the same leg drag->hip smash->mount transition when Liz Sussan from Richmond BJJ did a seminar at my gym. I forgot a few small details but I've been trying to work it into my leg drag passing.

Conor didnt pin Siver's bottom leg with his shin. If Siver was a better grappler (or maybe just not as beat up) he could have gone to turtle. If we was a much better grappler he could have rolled to a knee bar.

Either way, it was a good pass to mount by Conor.

Awesome pass. I use this anytime I'm on top and can hook the outside of their leg with my own.

lol my gym are jacking them selves off to this pass all of a sudden... I thought everyone was aware of it because of bj penn

My favorite passing combo, by far.

I've started using this constantly since you showed my your version. It's so money, and it fits in great with my leg drag top control game.

I've started using this constantly since you showed my your version. It's so money, and it fits in great with my leg drag top control game.

I'm really glad I taught it that week. I've been using it much more aggressively since then.

How are you guys getting to dope mount position from leg drag position? Are you guys backing out to hook the leg (like Connor did)?

How are you guys getting to dope mount position from leg drag position? Are you guys backing out to hook the leg (like Connor did)?

You basically turn the bottom guy so far in the leg drag position that his top leg is slightly past his bottom leg. Get a strong cross face (so he can't turtle during the transition) and then basically knee slide over his top leg and post your rear knee in between his legs, close to his hips. Now fold your front leg in towards his body and slide across to mount.

You basically turn the bottom guy so far in the leg drag position that his top leg is slightly past his bottom leg. Get a strong cross face (so he can't turtle during the transition) and then basically knee slide over his top leg and post your rear knee in between his legs, close to his hips. Now fold your front leg in towards his body and slide across to mount.

Nice, thanks.

I usually start to drive the weave knee in and then sumo-step out into the Penn pass position. Like Uchi said, as soon as his top leg clears the bottom leg, it's on. I use this position mainly as a re-counter during my leg weave (with my hand) pass. That's where I've had the most success, so that's where I start teaching it. We'll see about filming a video on Friday.

Back