Conor McGregor Leg Drag to Mount

Yeah, I noticed that too, in the second round shortly before he finished Siver from the mount. Was a good pass. He was able to mount him very quickly, although Siver was so beat up that it can't really be assumed that he was grappling to his full ability. I think it may actually be the first leg drag I've seen in mma although maybe I saw one then forgot about it (but I don't think that's very likely).

I was highly impressed by McGregor's pasty teammate who fought on the prelims, the flyweight with coat-hangers for appendages. that guy had some crazy guard passing, like a banana slug or an eel or something. whoever's teaching those guys jiu-jitsu really knows what he's doing.

Last edited:
Yeah, I noticed that too, in the second round shortly before he finished Siver from the mount. Was a good pass. He was able to mount him very quickly, although Siver was so beat up that it can't really be assumed that he was grappling to his full ability. I think it may actually be the first leg drag I've seen in mma although maybe I saw one then forgot about it (but I don't think that's very likely).
Y'all must have forgot:BJ Penn compilation (passes): http://youtu.be/extNlPQ5DLc

Y'all must have forgot:BJ Penn compilation (passes): http://youtu.be/extNlPQ5DLc
Blast... blast! I worship that vid... I should have expected this.

It's unsurprising to me that BJ Penn was hitting leg drags in mma almost a decade before McGregor ever started fighting though.

WarmheartedNegativeBarasingha.gif

BJ used to be a straight up motherfucker. Mounting Renzo and shit

I was highly impressed by McGregor's pasty teammate who fought on the prelims, the flyweight with coat-hangers for appendages. that guy had some crazy guard passing, like a banana slug or an eel or something. whoever's teaching those guys jiu-jitsu really knows what he's doing.

Isn't it John Kavanaugh?

By the way I don't recall Conor's pass being a leg drag, more of a BJ Penn-style smash pass to mount. Still was nice.

Isn't it John Kavanaugh?

By the way I don't recall Conor's pass being a leg drag, more of a BJ Penn-style smash pass to mount. Still was nice.
Yes, he's the first black belt in Ireland if I'm not mistaken.

And is that what it is? If so I've heard a lot of people call that kind of pass a leg drag... not sure why, but it's weird how there are so many different names for the same thing in grappling.

The main distinction I've heard is that people seem to refer to it as a position, specifically in regards to this position:

mqdefault.jpg

Separate from the classic "grab the ankles and throw" pass we all know.

but I'm just a white belt trying to learn, so please correct me if I'm wrong.

Isn't it John Kavanaugh?

Its started in a leg drag. Then he switched knees and stuck the other leg through. Used that to set up the mount. Similar to the BJ Penn style. Ryan Hall teaches it in his DVD as an option if your opponent is giving up the back.

He didn't really leg drag, he just settled down into the typical finishing position of the leg drag. Then went leg weave to mount.

I guess I'd be more impressed if he didn't do it when Siver was already done. Just seemed like he was toying with a half conscious man.

Yes, he's the first black belt in Ireland if I'm not mistaken.

And is that what it is? If so I've heard a lot of people call that kind of pass a leg drag... not sure why, but it's weird how there are so many different names for the same thing in grappling.

The main distinction I've heard is that people seem to refer to it as a position, specifically in regards to this position:

mqdefault.jpg

Separate from the classic "grab the ankles and throw" pass we all know.

but I'm just a white belt trying to learn, so please correct me if I'm wrong.

The picture you posted is of a leg-drag position. It's one of your options to stabilize the leg-drag pass. Note that in the photo, Jared's right knee is behind his opponents right knee, and his right foot/ankle is hooking his opponents left knee.

Mcgregor finished the pass using a hip-smash or side-smash... from the orientation of the above photo, he'd have his left knee behind his opponents right knee.

Here's a video of Lovato Jr teaching the hip-smash.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISHxUV8QUHA

The picture you posted is of a leg-drag position. It's one of your options to stabilize the leg-drag pass. Note that in the photo, Jared's right knee is behind his opponents right knee, and his right foot/ankle is hooking his opponents left knee.

Mcgregor finished the pass using a hip-smash or side-smash... from the orientation of the above photo, he'd have his left knee behind his opponents right knee.

On point!

VERY informative. thank you bro.

haha it's funny that you link to that vid as I actually subscribe to BJJLibrary. Such a great resource.

Thanks, this is what I came here to post. As soon as I saw the thread title...I normally hate to be this guy...but damn, such noobs. BJ was famous for this exact move a decade ago. Some gyms call it the BJ Penn mount (or dope mount) because he did it so often and well.

Anyone saw Charles Rosa vs. Sean Soriano ? That was a jiu jitsu clinic from both guys.

He didn't really leg drag, he just settled down into the typical finishing position of the leg drag. Then went leg weave to mount.
That was my impression as well, but I got a little unsure if I missed something when reading the posts in this thread. It makes a difference, so I guess I should rewatch that part.

that pass is money, i use it a lot.

also, it's a great way to mount once you already have sidecontrol and the turn into you.

jeff joslin has a whole series on penn's passes on youtube, check it out:

Blast... blast! I worship that vid... I should have expected this.

It's unsurprising to me that BJ Penn was hitting leg drags in mma almost a decade before McGregor ever started fighting though.

WarmheartedNegativeBarasingha.gif

BJ used to be a straight up motherfucker. Mounting Renzo and shit

I dont think most people define this pass as a "leg drag" (although Conor started out in a leg drag in his fight)

this is usually called a "smash" "TT" or "folding" pass.

Isn't it John Kavanaugh?

It is. John Kavanagh(not Kavanaugh) is the head coach for SBG Ireland/Iceland and a very accomplished grappler in his own right, in addition to being a European MMA pioneer. Dude was fighting back when Europe barely had an MMA scene worth talking about.

Curious connection now since people are bringing up BJ Penn: Longtime McGregor training partner, especially in the jiu-jitsu department is Gunnar Nelson, who back at the beginnings of his MMA career had his first taste of a truly professional fight camp back in 2005 or 2006 when he travelled to Hawaii to help train with BJ Penn's crew when he was getting ready for a UFC fight(can't remember which one). Maybe that is where this move originated?

Last edited:
Back