Conor McGregor Keys to Victory

Khabib comes in with a high guard. Khabib will also look to pressure and clinch up. Conor needs to make Khabib drop his hands. So, he'll need to attack the body to drop Khabib's hands and maybe even look for an uppercut when Khabib shoots.

So badically, attack Khabib's body to lower the hands.

Look for strikes when Khabib tries to clinch or shoot.

Avoid the cage. Khabib may even shoot a very low single leg. Maybe a pick? Best believe Cormier is passing off all of the best tricks to assist his training partner.

Disagree he must kick to give him something else to think about. He can’t just play the hands game. Connor also has excellent kicks. And he is good at getting that leg back very quickly without anyone grabbing it. I think he will kick quite a bit in fact. He is a very versatile striker.
Kicks leave you open for take downs. He must avoid all confrontations with khabib. Khabibs stand up is poor and conors punching is more than good enough to win

He needs to somehow use kicks without getting taken down.

Time Khabib before he gets put on the ground.

Footwork. Lots of circling and he has to make Khabib pay early and dearly for over extending
I think a great boxer with great footwork, reach and distance mgt could do well against Khabib, just like how Gus used those traits to keep DC and Jones at bay - DC especially is very similar to Khabib. The other type is a monster powerhouse grappler, like Lee, who could out grapple Khabib and possibly beat him up on the feet. Every other match up at LW to me @ lightweight is pointless versus Khabib, with possible exception of a more matured Gregor, as he is far and away the best wrestler at LW, but still is learning the hand game; for all the flack Khabib gets about striking, he has largely been doing it longer than anyone in the UFC. Conor started boxing at 10-12, Khabib started as a young kid, and not many people get that.

Distance control, speed and footwork. McGregor is used fighting fws more than lws, and fws are faster than lws. Alvarez even said that what was surprising wasn't his power but his speed and didn't even register what hit him most of the time. That said if Khabib has an ungodly chin and keeps coming a la Diaz it's gonna be a long night Joe!
7 minute McGregor might be the fastest and trickiest mother fucker to ever put on gloves. I don't care what the haters say, he took the first few rounds vs Mayweather and the greatest defensive boxer of all time with one of the cleanest shots he ever received - and sorry, but I don't think Mayweather planned on that. Guys can figure him out and he slows down, but there is something about his accuracy and deception that makes the greatest strikers ever look utterly shocked.

Obviously, the greatest way to avoid this is not to strike, and possibly Khabib gets an ankle pick or something, but Conor's distance means that he is much further away than Trump. Eddie is a greater wrestler too and he could not really get close to him, especially not before he had serious CTE. Khabib's throws looping punches and retreats with his head in the air......it will be fascinating to see how Conor tries to capitalize on his errors, as Im sure he has been looking for a long time, long before Khabib ever captured the belt even

Keep Khabib frustrated on the outside. Khabib gets tired on the feet quite a bit more easily.

Set up counter Rd 2 for KO.

He needs to lay down that heavy artillery and try to crack Khabib before he gets taken down.

Fight stays on the feet- Conor wins via brutal KO
Fight goes to the ground- Conor gets strangled very quickly

I think we are mostly in agreement here. Now it's just a matter of enjoying the show and seeing who implements their game first.

He needs to do more of that turning his back and running stuff he did during the nate rematch

I believe the teenagers these days refer to it as “resetting”

If he keeps “resetting” from the opening bell he has a good chance to tire out Khabib and get him to overextend on his chasing jab, which will open up the left hand counter.

This is what a hater looks like, kids.

Try and TKO him in the early rounds, duh.

Using kicks are too risky for him. I would say use a knee to the face when Khabib goes in but it is also very risky. Anderson tried using a knee on DC and got instantly taken down lol. You gotta" have Yoel Romeros knee game to execute that chit. Conor does not have it nor does he have the power Yoel does.

Conor's best chance is to maintain the distance obviously and move away when Khabib attempts to move in. Conor won't be able to stop many if any of Khabib's takedowns. That's just pure stupidly if he tries.

Conor has heavy hands but he ain't koing Khabib unless Khabib runs his face straight into Conor's punch, Aldo style.

I actually think it's worse for a striker as time goes on. Conor does his best work in the early rounds like many aggressive fighters where their style is centered around finishing. That was the whole problem with the Nate Diaz fight. He couldn't put Nate away and faded as time went on.

Last edited:
He will need to load his gloves with stainless steel hand wraps and hope he lands a punch..... before he lands on his head ehen hes getting suplexed.

1930521.jpg

Framing and distance with accurate strikes to the terrible striker.

In other words....be Conor.

Stay in the center of the cage. Conor cant get close to the fence.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back